Invasion of the Body Snatchers
When multiple residents of a Californian backwater begin to suffer from identical frenzied delusions, Dr Miles Bennell (Kevin McCarthy) suspects the town is in the grip of a new kind of epidemic. But his investigations soon reveal the terrifying truth, uncovering not a medical emergency but an extra-terrestrial invasion that threatens mankind’s very existence.
Directed by Don Siegel (Dirty Harry), this 1950s classic brings the fear of the unknown to the streets of America. A milestone of the science-fiction genre and a critique of post-war American society, The Invasion of the Body Snatchers remains an enduring and suspenseful classic.
Presented on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK, experience the thrills and horrors of this highly influential movie like never before.
- Newly recorded audio commentary by filmmaker and film historian Jim Hemphill (2021)
- 50th anniversary commentary with stars Dana Wynter and Kevin McCarthy, and Gremlins director Joe Dante (2006)
- John Player Lecture: Don Siegel (1973, 75 mins, audio only): Don Siegel looks over his career with Barry Norman
- Sleep No More: Invasion of the Body Snatchers Revisited (2006, 27 mins): a look at Body Snatchers’ production history. Includes clips from interviews with Kevin McCarthy, Dana Wynter, John Landis, Mick Garris (Sleepwalkers), and science fiction historian Bob Burns
- The Fear and the Fiction: The Body Snatchers Phenomenon (2006, 8 mins): considering the film’s themes and critical interpretations.
- What's In a Name? (2006, 2 mins): a short video piece about the title of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and some of the changes that were made to get it right
- Return to Santa Mira (2006, 13 mins): a look at the locations where key segments from Invasion of the Body Snatchers were shot
- A selection of complementary archive films, with British propaganda short Doorstep to Communism (1948, 11 mins) and groundbreaking botanical cinematography in Magic Myxies (Mary Field, F Percy Smith, 1931, 11 mins) and The Battle of the Plants (F Percy Smith, 1926, 11 mins)
- Original theatrical trailer
- Trailers From Hell: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (2013, 3 mins): Body Snatchers fan Joe Dante celebrates the film
- **FIRST PRESSING ONLY** An illustrated 40 page booklet with new writing by Dr Deborah Allison, Charlie Bligh and Katy McGahan, and an archive piece by J. Hoberman