Edition no. 239
Madigan teams Hollywood legends Richard Widmark (Pickup on South Street, Two Rode Together) and Henry Fonda (Young Mr. Lincoln, Midway) in a brutal tale of crime set in Spanish Harlem. As Commissioner Russell tries to keep his precinct in order, detectives Madigan (Widmark) and Bonaro (Harry Guardino) struggle to balance their personal and professional commitments when they are given just 72 hours to apprehend the spree killer who has stolen their weapons.
Directed by Don Siegel (Charley Varrick, The Lineup) immediately prior to his acclaimed collaborations with Clint Eastwood, Madigan is typical of the director's tough, no-nonsense style, bridging the gap between classic film noir and the gritty police procedurals of the 1970s. Also boasting a script co-written by once-blacklisted writer Abraham Polonsky (Body and Soul, Force of Evil), Madigan's success led to its being turned into a television series.
- Audio commentary with writers and film experts Barry Forshaw and Kim Newman (2022)
- Richard Widmark on ‘Madigan’ (1983): extract from the French television programme Cinéma cinémas
- Super 8 version: cut-down home cinema presentation
- Original theatrical trailer
- Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
- Limited edition exclusive 32-page booklet with a new essay by Elena Lazic, an archival interview with Don Siegel, an extract from A Siegel Film, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits