The Castle of Fu Manchu
Edition no. 205
In 1965, maverick British producer and writer Harry Alan Towers (The Bloody Judge) scored a hit with The Face of Fu Manchu, a thrilling revival of Sax Rohmer’s super-villain imperiously portrayed by Christopher Lee (The Terror of the Tongs). Over the next four years, Lee and Towers would collaborate with directors Don Sharp (Psychomania), Jeremy Summers and Jesús Franco (Venus in Furs) on four ever more delirious tales of attempted world domination (The Brides of Fu Manchu, The Vengeance of Fu Manchu, The Blood of Fu Manchu, The Castle of Fu Manchu), each pitting the criminal mastermind against his arch-nemesis Nayland Smith, as played variously by Nigel Green (Play Dirty), Douglas Wilmer (Sherlock Holmes) and Richard Greene (The Adventures of Robin Hood).
Now, all five classic Fu Manchu films are presented on Blu-ray for the first time, newly restored from original negatives and containing a wealth of new and archival extras, including critical appreciations, cast and crew interviews and audio commentaries. This stunning collection is strictly limited to 6,000 units, and is presented with an exclusive, fully illustrated 120-page book, featuring new writing by Tim Lucas.
- Two presentations of the film: with the original The Castle of Fu Manchu title sequence, and the alternative Assignment Istanbul titles
- Vic Pratt Introduces ‘The Castle of Fu Manchu’ (2020, 7 mins): appreciation by the BFI curator
- From Alicante to Istanbul (2020, 13 mins): actor Rosalba Neri remembers Jesús Franco, Maria Rohm and the making of The Castle of Fu Manchu
- An Interview with Harry Alan Towers (2008, 45 mins): far-reaching personal account of the intrepid producer’s life in radio, TV and film
- The Further Mysteries of Dr. Fu-Manchu: ‘The Coughing Horror’ (1924, 31 mins): Fu Manchu torments Nayland Smith with a terrifying creature in this silent serial sequel, presented with an optional new score by the band Peninsula
- Alternative title sequences
- Original theatrical trailer
- Image gallery: promotional and publicity material