601 Letter Never Sent

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
Ashirg

Re: 601 Letter Never Sent

#76 Post by Ashirg » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:26 pm

For those interested, there is this documentary in Russian about Sergei Urusevsky. About 14:30 minutes in they start a discussion of Letter Never Sent with some rare color footage from the filming of the forest fire sequence at 16:10.

Galen Young

#77 Post by Galen Young » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:35 am

Ashirg wrote:For those interested, there is this documentary in Russian about Sergei Urusevsky.
Wow, that's fantastic, thanks for the link. Too bad a subtitled version of this doc wasn't included on the Criterion release. Love this film, the blu-ray is amazing. Will be so happy when The Cranes Are Flying arrives one day on blu.

5meohd

#78 Post by 5meohd » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:08 pm

The link to the documentary is broken.

Watched this on hulu over three nights. Yes.. I fell asleep twice. I found its only draw was the "film-making". Personally I found the story to be bland, too simple, and at times "fake". That said… the forrest fire is insane. Can someone please elaborate on how this was done? Did they really burn down that many trees?

I also got a kick out of the incredible tape-delay or tape-echo fx used. I could hear the distortion of the tape get thicker on each repeat. http://www.effectrode.com/magnetic-dela ... -of-delay/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worth the watch, just not sure I feel its worth the "collection". :)

eerik

#79 Post by eerik » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:45 am