1104 Citizen Kane

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
therewillbeblus

Re: 1104 Citizen Kane

#301 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:36 pm

The joke's on us for not guessing this would be milestone spine#1104

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#302 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:38 pm

Missed opportunity to be 1103 or K C in numerics

Jonathan S

#303 Post by Jonathan S » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:03 pm

But presumably they want to focus our attention on 4 discs+K = 4K...

DimitriL

#304 Post by DimitriL » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:04 pm

I’m really happy they hung onto the Roger Ebert commentary for Kane. There aren’t nearly as many commentaries with him as there should have been. He talked about going through films with students, sometimes frame-by-frame. It’s nice to have him represented, even in a carryover feature.

jsteffe

#305 Post by jsteffe » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:35 pm

I don't know why, but I wasn't expecting Dolby Vision HDR for this title - what a pleasant surprise! This hopefully speaks well to what they were able to accomplish with the new restoration.

Black and white in HDR is such a treat!

Walter Kurtz

#306 Post by Walter Kurtz » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:41 pm

I was hoping for the 3 minute speeded up version of the entire film as an extra that was included in the original laserdisc box set. My grandpa had the original first issue box set and he used to play the 3 minute version for me when I came over. He still had the original magazine ad announcing The Criterion Collection stashed in the box. I may be mistaken but I think he told me it was a mail order item. So... it's purely a nostalgia thing for me. Gramps was cool.

ShellOilJunior

#307 Post by ShellOilJunior » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:38 pm

DimitriL wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:04 pm
I’m really happy they hung onto the Roger Ebert commentary for Kane. There aren’t nearly as many commentaries with him as there should have been. He talked about going through films with students, sometimes frame-by-frame. It’s nice to have him represented, even in a carryover feature.
It's been years since I listened to Ebert's commentary on Kane but I recall it being excellent. He doesn't talk over the movie and there aren't long spots of silence. It's informative and very accessible.

Amazing Goose

#308 Post by Amazing Goose » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:00 pm

ShellOilJunior wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:38 pm
DimitriL wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:04 pm
It's been years since I listened to Ebert's commentary on Kane but I recall it being excellent. He doesn't talk over the movie and there aren't long spots of silence. It's informative and very accessible.
More than once I have shown a friend the film and then a little while later watched it with them again but with Ebert's commentary--he does a very good job pointing out and explaining aspects of the film that contribute to its reputation as one of the greatest films ever made.

Blutarsky

#309 Post by Blutarsky » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:43 pm

I am curious as to which Mercury Theatre on Air selections they are offering on this release. I mean, this is one of the most impressive releases I have ever seen from Criterion, or from anyone really! I am just hoping that they might offer The War of the Worlds in their selection, or Treasure Island, and hopefully not brief snippets. It’d be great to have Welles’ most infamous radio drama on home media.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#310 Post by swo17 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:06 pm

War of the Worlds is already on...War of the Worlds

Computer Raheem

#311 Post by Computer Raheem » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:15 pm

This has to be, without a doubt, the most stuffed-to-the-gills set that Criterion has released, period. This is arguably the most perfect way they could have jumped onto the 4K bandwagon (even if the release technically comes out a week after the first released 4K set).

yoloswegmaster

#312 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:03 pm

If the 4K disc is going to look anything like the images on the Criterion site, then this is going to be a fantastic release and could easily be the release of the year (though I wouldn't be surprised if site is using production stills).

The Fanciful Norwegian

#313 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:10 pm

Blutarsky wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:43 pm
I am curious as to which Mercury Theatre on Air selections they are offering on this release. I mean, this is one of the most impressive releases I have ever seen from Criterion, or from anyone really! I am just hoping that they might offer The War of the Worlds in their selection, or Treasure Island, and hopefully not brief snippets. It’d be great to have Welles’ most infamous radio drama on home media.
I think Heart of Darkness is a given, in view of Welles's abortive effort to make it into his feature film debut. It also helps that the source material is in the public domain.

One of the more unusual laserdiscs was Voyager's Theatre of the Imagination, an audio-only release with about five hours of Mercury radio productions, along with an audio documentary hosted by Leonard Maltin interviewing various members of the troupe. It's vanishingly unlikely all six hours will be on the Kane release (and if they were including the audio documentary I assume they would've mentioned it in the specs), but I expect to see some of these:

1. Rebecca
2. Heart of Darkness
3. The Apple Tree
4. My Little Boy
5. The Hitch-Hiker (1946 version)
6. A Tale of Two Cities
7. H. G. Wells Meets Orson Welles (already on the War of the Worlds release)
8. The Song of Solomon
9. Noah Webster's Library/Dorothy Parker poetry
10. Doris Miller tribute
11. The Shadow: "The White Legion"
12. Wilbur Brown, Habitat: Brooklyn

Roger Ryan

#314 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:18 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:03 pm
If the 4K disc is going to look anything like the images on the Criterion site, then this is going to be a fantastic release and could easily be the release of the year (though I wouldn't be surprised if site is using production stills).
Yes, all of those images on the site are production stills, so we don't know what the quality of the new restoration is like yet.

DeprongMori

#315 Post by DeprongMori » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:10 am

Blutarsky wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:43 pm
Criterion already offers Welles’ The War of the Worlds broadcast, in the extras for their The War of the Worlds release.
• The Mercury Theatre on the Air radio play of The War of the Worlds from 1938, adapted by Howard Koch and directed and narrated by Orson Welles

Boosmahn

#316 Post by Boosmahn » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:22 pm

New photos were added to the page for Citizen Kane. Maybe these give a peek of the restoration?

Roger Ryan

#317 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:05 pm

Boosmahn wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:22 pm
New photos were added to the page for Citizen Kane. Maybe these give a peek of the restoration?
Yes, those are actual frame grabs from the film (as opposed to the production stills that were used as placeholders). Looks like more grain is visible than the ten-year-old Warner Blu-ray, but not a huge difference in contrast or detail (if just comparing the HD images; I imagine the UHD image will show an improvement).

FrauBlucher

#318 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:43 pm

Roger, as this boards' Welles expert what are you most looking forward to from this release?

Roger Ryan

#319 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:15 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:43 pm
Roger, as this boards' Welles expert what are you most looking forward to from this release?
If I had a 4K TV and player, it would be seeing the resolution/contrast improvement of the UHD disc! Until that happens, I guess the new commentary from Rosenbaum and Naremore has me most interested, along with having an improved version of the BBC documentary (it's a really good one). You never know what you're getting with some of the supplements, but they're all sounding pretty good on paper.

Gregor Samsa

#320 Post by Gregor Samsa » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:34 am

The listing on Wellesnet has a little more detail on the 1979/1988 television programmes:
• Episode of The South Bank Show from 1988 featuring Mercury Theatre producer John Houseman
• Episode of The Merv Griffin Show from 1979 featuring Welles and Houseman

FrauBlucher

#321 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:54 pm

Via Wellesnet...
Citizen Hearst’ documentary to air on PBS

Citizen Hearst, a two-part, four-hour installment of PBS’ American Experience, details media magnate William Randolph Hearst’s rise and how he became the model for the lead character in Orson Welles’ Citizen Kane.

The film premieres Monday and Tuesday, Sept. 27 and 28 at 9 p.m. on PBS stations.

It is based on historian David Nasaw’s critically acclaimed biography, The Chief: The Life of William Randolph Hearst.

In the 1930s, Hearst’s media empire included 28 newspapers, a movie studio, a syndicated wire service, radio stations and 13 magazines.

Nearly one in four American families read a Hearst publication. His newspapers were so influential that Adolf Hitler, Benito Mussolini and Winston Churchill all wrote for him.

The first practitioner of what is now known as “synergy,” Hearst used his media stronghold to achieve unprecedented political power, then ran for office himself. After serving two terms in Congress, he came in second in the balloting for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1904.

Perhaps best known as the inspiration for Welles’ Charles Foster Kane and his lavish castle in San Simeon, Hearst died in 1951 at the age of 88, having transformed the media’s role in American life and politics.

yoloswegmaster

#322 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:43 am

WB is releasing their own 4K UHD edition in Germany.

dwk

#323 Post by dwk » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:31 pm

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#324 Post by soundchaser » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:39 pm

Not for the first time does Harris seem confused on what Dolby Vision is and what it actually does.

EddieLarkin

#325 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:51 pm

Indeed. Dolby Vision would not by its nature cause detail to blow out (if anything, the opposite would happen), so if that really is happening then someone involved in the grading made the decision to do it. But I don't know of a single example where detail that is visible on a Blu-ray has been whited out on a UHD EXCEPT in cases where the HDR grade is so bright that certain displays end up fudging the tone mapping. Now the whole point of Dolby Vision is to ensure precisely that doesn't happen regardless of display, but I can't help notice that RAH indicates he watched this on a projector, which of course cannot accept a Dolby Vision signal, and will instead default to HDR10. And projectors as we know are notoriously bad at tonemapping HDR10 and are the exact sort of device that would white out high level nit information that is otherwise visible on a Blu-ray.

Of course this relies on the assumption that Harris didn't bother checking this scene on a different, Dolby Vision capable display, which seems hard to believe, but nothing else makes much sense.