1108 The Celebration

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

1108 The Celebration

#1 Post by swo17 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:44 pm

The Celebration

The Danish Dogme 95 movement that struck world cinema like a thunderbolt began with The Celebration, the international breakthrough by Thomas Vinterberg, a lacerating chamber drama that uses the economic and aesthetic freedoms of digital video to achieve annihilating emotional intensity. On a wealthy man's sixtieth birthday, a sprawling group of family and friends convenes at his country estate for a celebration that soon spirals into bedlam, as bombshell revelations threaten to tear away the veneer of bourgeois respectability and expose the traumas roiling beneath. The dynamic handheld camera work, grainy natural lighting, cacophonous diegetic sound, and raw performance style that would become Dogme hallmarks enhance the shattering visceral impact of this caustic indictment of patriarchal failings, which swings between blackest comedy and bleakest tragedy as it turns the sick soul of a family inside out.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• 2K digital restoration, approved by director Thomas Vinterberg, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
• Audio commentary from 2005 featuring Vinterberg
• New interview with Vinterberg
• Two early short films by Vinterberg: Last Round (1993) and The Boy Who Walked Backwards (1995)
The Purified, a 2002 documentary about Dogme 95, featuring interviews with Vinterberg and filmmakers Søren Kragh-Jacobsen, Kristian Levring, and Lars von Trier
• Program in which Vinterberg discusses the real-life inspiration for the film
• Documentaries featuring members of the cast and crew at the film's premiere in Copenhagen and reflecting back on the production
ADM:DOP, a 2003 documentary profile of cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle
• Deleted scenes, with optional audio commentary by Vinterberg
• Trailer
• PLUS: An essay by critic and author Michael Koresky

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

Re: 1108 The Celebration

#2 Post by Buttery Jeb » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:37 pm

Welp, there goes my initial hopes for a Dogme 95 boxset (with Festen, The Idiots, Mifune's Last Song and The King is Alive).

ryannichols7

#3 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:56 pm

assuming the included doc is of pretty good length given this is a two discer

jsteffe

#4 Post by jsteffe » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:15 pm

Buttery Jeb wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:37 pm
Welp, there goes my initial hopes for a Dogme 95 boxset (with Festen, The Idiots, Mifune's Last Song and The King is Alive).
That may not have been feasible because the films were handled by different distributors in the U.S., and I think in some cases the rights are still active.

Maybe there will be a Blu-ray set released elsewhere. I agree that would be nice, even though most of the films were shot originally on DV. Festen is my favorite of these and I'm delighted that Criterion is releasing it as a stand-alone edition, at least.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#5 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:49 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:56 pm
The Purified is about 75 minutes, so not that much by itself, but the shorts are both 35-40 minutes and the retrospective doc is half an hour.

If Criterion releases The Idiots, they'd better include the R-rated version that von Trier personally supervised, which obscures all below-the-waist frontal nudity (including that which could've gotten through with an R) with black bars that constantly change size and orientation based on whatever they're covering up.

ryannichols7

#6 Post by ryannichols7 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:16 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:49 pm
ryannichols7 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:56 pm
The Purified is about 75 minutes, so not that much by itself, but the shorts are both 35-40 minutes and the retrospective doc is half an hour.

If Criterion releases The Idiots, they'd better include the R-rated version that von Trier personally supervised, which obscures all below-the-waist frontal nudity (including that which could've gotten through with an R) with black bars that constantly change size and orientation based on whatever they're covering up.
sounds like a similar approach to Irma Vep, which didn't necessarily have a huge "second feature" type thing but moreso a collection of many longer features

who owns the Idiots these days? I wouldn't be surprised if that was the next Von Trier coming from CC

The Fanciful Norwegian

#7 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:56 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:16 pm
who owns the Idiots these days? I wouldn't be surprised if that was the next Von Trier coming from CC
Both it and The Celebration were with Universal for a long while via a pointlessly convoluted chain of custody (October to Universal to USA Films and then back to Universal). I don't know if that's still the case—for those with the sell sheet, who's listed as the licensor for The Celebration?

Matt

1108 The Celebration

#8 Post by Matt » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:04 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:who owns the Idiots these days? I wouldn't be surprised if that was the next Von Trier coming from CC
It should be the in same rights situation as Festen. Both were distributed in the US by permutations of the company that became Focus Features, now owned by Universal/Comcast.

If Universal’s rights have expired for one, they’ve probably expired for the other (in which case Trust Film Sales is likely the licensor, as with Breaking the Waves).

cdnchris
Site Admin

#9 Post by cdnchris » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:30 am

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
ryannichols7 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:16 pm
Both it and The Celebration were with Universal for a long while via a pointlessly convoluted chain of custody (October to Universal to USA Films and then back to Universal). I don't know if that's still the case—for those with the sell sheet, who's listed as the licensor for The Celebration?
The Match Factory is listed as the licensor.

furbicide

#10 Post by furbicide » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:14 pm

Love the packaging (or lack thereof). Dogme lives!

yoloswegmaster

#11 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:49 am

The Celebration of Svet
If Thomas Vinterberg's film The Celebration (Festen) had opened up with a short text acknowledging a relationship to The Jerry Springer Show and The Addams Family, I would have instantly accepted it as entirely legit. Why? Because even though its characters speak Danish, many of them are every bit as unhinged as the various colorful guests Springer welcomed over the years. Plus, most of them are members of the same wicked family.

But there is no such text preceding the opening credits of The Celebration, and I doubt that in 1998, shortly after initiating the Dogme 95 movement with Lars von Trier, Vinterberg knew who Springer was and how he was making ends meet in the United States. And if I underestimate Vinterberg and he did know Springer and his show, then I am convinced that he did not care for it. In other words, the relationship I speculated about could not have existed.

Or could it be that there is something that does indeed link The Celebration, The Jerry Springer Show, and The Addams Family? I can almost see you rolling your eyes and shaking your head, so let's describe what takes place in it and investigate.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#12 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:53 am

The first half of that last sentence is maybe the most astute observation he’s ever made

CSM126

#13 Post by CSM126 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:14 pm

“[absurd statement]. Why?” seems to be Dr. Bassoon’s new go-to thing in his reviews. Sad thing is he thinks he’s being clever.

Finch

#14 Post by Finch » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:38 am

I've always loved this film and thought it'd make a great double bill with Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me. I watched it again after a long time since the previous viewing, and I felt my heart racing during key scenes. Maybe the HD presentation made it feel even more immediate. I love that it doesn't take any prisoners. It reminds me of Salo in that regard but I can bear watching Festen because at least some of its characters retain their humanity and a moral code, and there is a sliver of hope at film's end. I'm going to spoiler tag the rest of this.
SpoilerShow
I was intrigued by Helene's role in the film this time round. She is the one who finds the suicide letter from her sister and decides to hide it in her lipstick case. Did she have an inkling as to what was going on and the letter confirmed it or did she only realise it then? I'm intrigued by her decision to speak out after Christian's dinner table revelation and to refute what he was saying, especially with her knowledge of the letter.

I'm also wondering to what extent the mother's speech about Christian and Snoots was truthful. I don't recall other family members alluding to Christian having a fictional friend, but I may have missed it. I think the kids let her off the hook too much by allowing her to stay at the breakfast table. She knew what was going on (unlike Sarah Palmer, she doesn't have the defense of not knowing unambiguously) and did nothing. I guess this is partially down to the times the film is set in, and the culture it represents. The family is not just incestuous, it's also racist and the friends have no qualms about joining in in the song humiliating Helene's boyfriend.

I was also struck by Helge's last comment before Michael walks him out. He says Christian fought a good fight. He's finally become a man in his father's eyes. Considering the circumstances that led to this, no one could blame Christian for not caring for that approval.

Lastly, I never fail to laugh out loud at the darkly funny moment when after Christian's initial speech, someone starts applauding only to be shushed by their company. It's wickedly funny and so true to life in its awkwardness.
At the time, I thought The Hunt with Mads Mikkelsen was a strong film but not as powerful. Now I want to watch it again, and Vinterberg's most recent film, Another Round. For my money, I find him more consistent and less self-sabotaging than Lars von Trier and a lot more interesting than Nicholas Winding Refn.

therewillbeblus

#15 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:18 pm

I revisited this earlier today and loved it as much as I did ten years ago. Finch draws an interesting comparison to Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, for each film utilizes very different methods (hyper-realism vs. stylized, at times fantastical imagery) to yield the same meditations on defense mechanisms used by both the victims and perpetrators of abuse to make sense of or disengage from the trauma. However, both films do expose the surreality of social dynamics through heightened and passive absurdism.

I've already touched on how I feel Fire Walk With Me evokes a very authentic demonstration of a trauma survivor's social-emotional-behavioral response elsewhere on this forum, thanks a lot to Sheryl Lee's performance. Festen is admirable for taking the dogme 95 approach of purity into locating more banal yet evocative symptoms of abuse. A key difference is that Vinterberg is primarily interested in the family system theoretical model when zooming in to the individual level. Lynch is honed in on Lee as the survivor, to the point of making this obsessive focus a thematic one- he's giving her the attention she gravely needs with his camera, a need that nobody else in her milieu can fulfill because of barriers in externally-natural obstacles to piercing through to an intimate level, socially-constructed ones in the assumed power differential from her 'Image', and psychological-behavioral ones she's constructed to protect herself in response.

But back to Festen and Vinterberg's approach: I forgot how much forward momentum occurs in the first section of this film. Vinterberg spends its strong, constantly mobile first act detailing the maladaptive human behavior from deep-rooted family dynamics within each individual player. Vinterberg's maturity comes across best in his restraint, graciously withholding a lot of information that is kept in the elisions of these characters’ histories where it belongs- save for a valuable piece of tangible 'historical information' that serves as a thread to undo the fragile fabric of this family system. This strategy leaves the tangible behavioral information on the surface to speak volumes - from loud aggressively hostile interpersonal communication between the younger brother Michael and, well, everyone, to Christian’s quiet actions like zoning in on a glass of clear liquid and shaking it back and forth. This behavior is an idiosyncratic rote traumatic response if there ever was one, and a sly piece of “evidence” in support of his claim - as is the info-drop by an old flame of Christian’s who indicates he and Michael have switched temperaments, and thus roles in the family system, over time. This is never explored in a way that addresses cause for such a shift in adulthood, but trauma is something people live with -and I think we can assume that Michael is riddled with the effects of a dysfunctional upbringing himself, even if his trauma is left for another film's story- and this unpronounced alteration in family roles and relationships mirrors the dubious nonlinear fluidity of trauma's ramifications across time.

Once the information is stated, the denial in power structures reinforcing that suppressed acknowledgment is also absurdly realistic, as are the observable ingrained effects of abuse, including the Christian's inability to confront the father in private even as an adult, and his intuition to use a public space to make his provocative reveals. This last point may appear antithetical to some, considering the vulnerable nature of the disclosures and lack of support given by this group, but such a space still feels like the only place he can safely profess his truth, where he is but one person in a populated area with physical distance and clearly identified roles in who speaks and who listens established by the nature of the toast ceremony, regardless of if he’s going out of turn or not. Christian knows to expect social discomfort, but the reactions of a group mentality in moving on from disclosure so swiftly with an anxious joke is predictable, while his father's behavior has never been (is the man going to violate me, or crack a joke?)

There’s something both grimly hysterical and subtly tragic about how Christian keeps trying to enter the house, running away from the group of men led by his brother who are just trying to keep everything ‘socially appropriate’! It's a cartoonish setup: repeatedly moving away from obstacles (including being tied to a tree!) in a reptilian manner- farce stripped down and portrayed as stark realism, exhibiting the absurdity of human behavior in social environments. For me, these impulsive moves from Christian to return to the spotlight, self-destructing desperately to cause some deserved destruction, are the funniest parts of the movie and also the most devastating. We have no idea what's going on inside of him psychologically, but we can tell that he's deeply alone, and not only because of how he's treated by his unsupportive peers. The character, and actor playing him, wear that emptiness and unbearably active trauma just close enough to the surface of his disposition to show us that there's something pulsating there. Vinterberg doesn't pretend to know what to do with that information, and humbly remains at as much of a distance from that inner core as Christian is from it himself, and as we are to it as an audience. We all must just sit in that uncertainty. It's a respectful artistic choice by a director sensitive to the limitations and capabilities we have to tell another's story, or even to tell our own.
-------

I also watched the two shorts on the Criterion disc: Last Round and The Boy Who Walked Backwards, and enjoyed both. Last Round starts off slow, but as the narrative progresses, Vinterberg holds space for several unique, small life-affirming moments amidst the dreary content, including a sublime sequence of running down the street drinking and smoking a cigarette while listening to CCR, which sounds contrived but comes across as an earnest act of transient liberation. A similar moment where characters count a minute is meditative, intimate, and effectively encapsulates the significance of life as a series of moments where we are truly present with those we love. For a student film, I expected more obvious metaphors and instances of overcooked emotional resonance, but Vinterberg's knack for understated poignancy is evident from the start.

The Boy Who Walked Backwards contains an abrupt tonal shift, and I’m not sure Vinterberg quite pulls it off in the long run, but the rumination on grief from a child’s point of view is affecting. The film is very front-heavy though, with an opening act of nonstop majestic youthful comedy, calling back to the masterful La cotta- which took its sweet time crafting an earned tonal amalgamation of youthful emotion. I understand that the first act serves to make the whiplash work so well, and for that purpose it's incredibly economical by allowing us into this world of genuinely harmonic family relationships to comprehend how potent this affinity is to lose in just a few minutes. Still, to disregard the intention of the short for a second, I'd prefer a half hour of just these two kids' banter. It would be a perfect film.