1104 Citizen Kane

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: 1104 Citizen Kane

#501 Post by swo17 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:03 pm

ianthemovie wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:43 pm
swo17 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:32 pm
Nope. The booklet alone is the same height as a Blu-ray case (so wouldn't fit in one) and maybe half an inch wider than one (so definitely wouldn't fit). And then the O-card is obviously even wider to fit the booklet housed by several folds of cardboard
I was hoping to do the opposite: move some of the discs to a plastic Blu-ray case and put that inside the Criterion slipcase alongside the booklet.
Ah, got it. That would look like this:

It's hard to tell from the picture that this combination is slightly too wide for the O-card's spine, but might still work well enough because the extra space on both ends gives you some breathing room

ianthemovie

#502 Post by ianthemovie » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:17 pm

Yes, that's what I was thinking of doing; that picture is helpful, thank you! I'm assuming that's a standard-thickness Amaray case in the picture? I figure a thicker one would be needed to house all 4 discs, but it looks like that probably wouldn't fit unless you took the book out.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#503 Post by swo17 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:20 pm

Yes, that's a regular Blu-ray case. A Criterion-thick Amaray case would completely fill the space. Your best bet might be a double-sided case where each hub can carry two stacked discs

Finch

#504 Post by Finch » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:33 pm

And yet in spite of all of this, this disc is still likely to be the collective number one for the Beaver voters (or at least top three) in Gary's end of year poll because it's Kane and it's Criterion. I don't think I've ever seen my excitement for a release deflate as fast as for this one. Would it be fair to say that of the four UHDs they've done so far, for overall quality (transfer, bonus stuff AND packaging) this ranks fourth? They seem to have knocked Menace II Society out of the park and Uncut Gems, and Mulholland Drive is also ahead because it isn't additionally marred by garbage packaging. As it is, the full price of $60 is a bit cheeky.

kuzine

#505 Post by kuzine » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:20 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:59 pm
Perhaps a reading of the full article will square things for you? I honestly don't know the science behind any of it so cannot explain why this would or would not be true.
Thanks, it did! The nuance is that luminance expressed in nits doesn't account yet for the human perception of brightness (i.e. twice as much visible radiation power isn't going to "look" twice as bright to us). Hence another quantity, perceived brightness, is used. The relation between those is a transfer function that is logarithmic (see the first curve here for instance). So how perceived brightness changes with values in nits is as you said in your original post.
Bottom line, values in nits in AV jargon already usually refer to the quantity of perceived brightness and not luminance from what i see, which makes total sense of course given the AV context. That also explains (I think) why the transfer function between brightness encoded in bits (in a video stream) and nits output of displays follows a similar logarithmic trend.

Second bottom line, all this HDR jargon is quite abstruse! (And your posts over the last few months have certainly helped in demystifying that, so thanks too).

EddieLarkin

#506 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:12 pm

Ah, so 10,000 nits is in fact a hundred times as bright as 100 nits as you said, but humans only perceive it as twice as bright. That's a very helpful explanation, thanks.

kuzine

#507 Post by kuzine » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:02 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:12 pm
Ah, so 10,000 nits is in fact a hundred times as bright as 100 nits as you said, but humans only perceive it as twice as bright. That's a very helpful explanation, thanks.
Exactly. The "twice" might be slightly different depending on the exact shape of that perceived brightness <-> luminance transfer function (which I haven't seen detailed, only plots). But as long as we are talking ballpark numbers, it's going to be close enough to the exact value from what I see. As a rule of thumb "100 times more nits -> doubling of the perceived brightness" certainly works I think.

schellenbergk

#508 Post by schellenbergk » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:06 pm

schellenbergk wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:00 am
EddieLarkin wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:55 am
Yeah, the HDR (or Dolby Vision) pop up will appear whenever the TV switches to that mode.
So - it seems to be the disc. (Heavy sigh)
And now for the correction. . .

I heard back from a friendly staff member at Criterion with all manner of tips. I decided to try the tips one at a time to see what actually solved the problem.

On the skipping problem - I started with addressing the player first. It had never occurred to me to update the firmware on my LG Ultra HD Blu-Ray Disc Player Model UP 875.  First I reset it to factory defaults (it was probably already there) then I downloaded and updated the software. Then I tested the disc in the same trouble spot and voila!!! It played just fine.  So - that problem is solved.

On the general darkness - I keep my Blu on NORMAL output and my TCL 55" Roku TV is set to MOVIE mode (I find the brighter NORMAL setting too bright on TV as well as discs). But I suspect the picture is intended to be on the darker side - I note that your on-line reviewer on this site noted this is his or her review.
Where I feel things are going to be iffy for some viewers (and there’s already signs of this) is the HDR grading and how dark the film comes off in comparison to previous releases for the film and other 4K black-and-white presentations. Grays are dominant, blacks are heavy, and whites are rare. Highlights are toned down and overall range is limited.

So - I have the option of watching this disc in NORMAL brightness - or keeping it at MOVIE mode as I wish. Depending I suppose on how dark my mood is that day. . . 

Stefan Andersson

#509 Post by Stefan Andersson » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:18 pm

Rundown on the soundtracks of the various home video editions of Kane:
https://blah-ray.blogspot.com/2021/12/c ... -1941.html

Noiretirc

#510 Post by Noiretirc » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:40 pm

So, this whole thing is a clusterfuck then.

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#511 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:01 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:55 pm
Finch wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:46 pm
None of us should have to futz with our players' settings to make the Criterion edition look the way it should have in the first place, and many people won't even have the option to adjust the settings. None of us should have to consider the Warner UHD as a viable, never mind a superior alternative. If it wasn't for the WKW set, I'd be sorely tempted to nominate Citizen Kane for the most flawed release of the year. At this point, if the Warner encode delivers, I'd be like fuck the extras on the Criterion and settle for a great encode AND sensible packaging that doesn't damage the discs.
You're not quite getting it. If David finds that "Standard" or "Off" on his Optimiser settings result in a picture he's unhappy with, and "Light Environment" results in a picture that he is happy with, then that's proof that the issues he sees are nothing to do with the grade itself, but how his equipment is performing the tone mapping. All that setting does is change how much highlight information should be sacrificed for brightness. Choosing Light Environment is simply opting for more brightness, which is fixing the dull whites and thus bringing contrast back to the image, at the expense of highlight detail elsewhere. But the grade itself, as it exists on the disc, will be both bright enough to not suffer with any contrast issue and retain all the intended highlight detail.

People need to understand this key difference between SDR and HDR. With SDR, you can pump that image into any modern TV, and if it's calibrated you're going to get to see pretty much exactly what is on that disc, and how a particular grade looks, and so then you can make a fair judgement. HDR is an entirely different story. If you have equipment that cannot represent a HDR grade 1:1 (and whether it can or not will vary grade to grade, as unlike SDR, HDR does not have a set range), your equipment is then going to have to CHANGE THE IMAGE to fit its own parameters. The further away your equipment is from being able to reproduce a paritcular grade (say, if you're using a projector), THE MORE IT WILL HAVE TO CHANGE THE IMAGE. All David's done is have his equipment change the image in a different way.

But once you're getting into this territory, you cannot then declare that a grade is fucked! It's akin to watching a Blu-ray on a standard def TV and then complaining it's not as sharp as you expected a nice new 2K OCN restoration to be.

As for the WB UHD, I don't understand why anyone is expecting it to be different. Criterion and WB worked on this new remaster together, so why would there be any changes to the grading between UHDs?
I got the Warner UHD today, so I thought I'd follow up on this discussion. I haven't had the time to do an A/B comparison, but I did pop in both disc to check out the HDR10 Metadata, and indeed the encodes are different. While the MaxCLL is almost identical, there is a vast difference in MaxFALL where the Criterion number being almost four times the Warner. Any comments on this, EddieLarkin? This must surely be one of the lowest MFALLs you have seen? If Goodfellas is 60.

By the way looking at the screenshots now, it also looks like the Criterion has a golden tinge to it. But the data text has a different color too, so that would probably be me shaking my smartphone and the phone messing with the automatic light setting...

Criterion:

Warner:

Boosmahn

#512 Post by Boosmahn » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:11 pm

I can all but guarantee you the golden tint is due to your phone's camera.

Finch

#513 Post by Finch » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:03 pm

ianthemovie

#514 Post by ianthemovie » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:20 pm

So do the Blu-ray discs that are still being sold as part of the dual-format edition still contain the uncorrected version of the film? I just received my copy of the dual-format edition which I bought direct from the Criterion Store with my complimentary $10 gift card, and the Blu-ray appears to have the same dark filter over the second half.

I was intending to watch the movie in 4K anyway, so it's not a huge disappointment, but I guess I had assumed since Criterion was shipping these out that they had been corrected. I see that the Criterion store website has posted a disclaimer about this; still it seems weird to me that they would continue to sell a flawed product as part of one package but pull it off the shelves for the other package. I guess they figure most people who want to own the movie in 4K shouldn't have to wait while they fix the Blu-ray and/or don't care about the Blu-ray disc anyway? I would think this will just necessitate more returns and replacements (which is what I intend to do). Anyway, buy with caution...

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#515 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:52 pm

The corrected discs don't exist yet, so what you received cannot have a corrected BD.
It however is weird they're still selling it, as they've supposedly removed it from direct sales until the corrected pressing is available.

FrauBlucher

#516 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:38 pm

Some folks over at the Criterion bluray.com thread said they have started receiving the second pressed corrected blu-rays. Apparently the disc will say "second pressing"

I will assume that shortly after the New Year the bluray version will be made available
Last edited by FrauBlucher on Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShellOilJunior

#517 Post by ShellOilJunior » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:29 pm

I have the Second Pressing. I sampled the entire movie and there are no issues to report. Packaging aside, it's a terrific release. The UHD looks great and the blu-ray is quite good.

captainsolo

#518 Post by captainsolo » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:59 pm

Currently I’m waiting on the replacement disc before wading into trying to put together my own review. It is a distinct improvement on the Warner Blu in picture but in slight areas. In audio is is a big jump forward but sadly is nowhere near where it could be.
I’m glad someone mentioned the blahray blog above. That all came from me deciding to test my old childhood tape and being flabbergasted at the lack of noise removal.
I made a video about it and how the Criterion stacks up as now the no 3 best sounding release overall: https://youtu.be/qKOJ0dwhAsY
So yeah…the best sounding Kane is an old vhs hifi track. I got into Laserdiscs for better audio and now I’m finding certain titles sound better on tape…oh dear…

I also am not quite a fan of the way things have been dropped and edited out of the laserdisc interview extras. I need to sit down and do a direct comparison with my copy to see exactly what is missing on the new release. I think it’s condensing and removing some superfluous things but I’m not entirely sure.

Lastly for those who haven’t seen it, Daisuke has released his two hour review which covers most of the bases very well as usual: https://youtu.be/KVfUpYAoyko

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#519 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:36 pm

FrauBlucher

#520 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:46 pm

kekid

#521 Post by kekid » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:11 pm

Has anyone received the replacement of the Blu Ray yet?

Fiery Angel

#522 Post by Fiery Angel » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:39 pm

I got mine a couple weeks ago.

FrauBlucher

#523 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:15 pm

This was an email response to my question that I received this afternoon....
When will the CITIZEN KANE Blu-ray be back in stock, available for purchase with the updated version of the disc?
Sealed updated copies of the Blu-ray will be available from us and other vendors sometime this week. Please stay tuned to our social media accounts for updates.

When will the CITIZEN KANE 4K UHD + Blu-ray combo available for sale have the updated disc?
Sealed copies with the corrected Blu-ray disc will be available sometime this week. Once the product has been updated, the product page will have a note indicating this and you can finalize your purchase https://www.criterion.com/films/32250-citizen-kane

We will also share further information as it's available on our social media and FAQ (https://www.criterion.com/faq)

How can I tell the new and old versions apart, once the new copies are out?
Everything except the UPC code is the same. When sealed, you will be able to tell the new product (with the corrected disc) from the old by the UPC code located on the back of the packaging. There will be a physical sticker on the outside of the plastic shrink wrap of all sealed copies of Citizen Kane with these new UPC code numbers.

CITIZEN KANE 4K UHD + Blu-ray combo:
UPC 715515270113 means the Blu-ray disc inside is good and does not need to be replaced

CITIZEN KANE Blu-ray:
UPC 715515270212 means the Blu-ray disc inside is good and does not need to be replaced

When the copy has been opened you can further confirm this by looking at the disc. The corrected Blu-ray disc 1 will have the words "SECOND PRESSING" on the outer edge of the disc, next to the "119 MINUTES."

flyonthewall2983

Re:

#524 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:56 pm

Steven H wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:27 am
Does anyone else feel the comedic aspects of this film are largely ignored or swept under the rug? I laugh my head off every time I see it, from Welles' smirks, and the newsreel satire, to Dorothy Comingmore's grating accent. I connect with it as a drama as well, but the humor is there for me. The last time I attended a screening, I distinctly remember not a chuckle coming from anybody but myself and the few friends that came with me.
I’ve watched it a few times and have laughed at certain spots at different times throughout.

The recent interest in this movie, beyond the Criterion release, merits so much more then I thought of it before without having seen it or bothered learning why it has the reputation it does. So what, big deal, the guy’s sled, etc., etc.

It’s almost reductive to say it’s because of Trump, but like much of the discourse surrounding America in the last five years it must be reckoned within how relevant it is today. Maybe more in the 90’s and 2000’s, when the headlines tycoons like Trump made weren’t so entwined and indeed detrimental to national security.

To a guy in his early 20’s with the passion for more recent cinema in how to help perceive the world I’m in movies like this didn’t fit in. Meaning the movies made when my grandparents were my age, much less my own parents (though my love for Boomer cinema has remained steadfast).

To who I am now it is more important to try and learn from the past, mistakes to avoid in the ever-smaller gap that is my future and what lies ahead tomorrow or even a minute from where I am right now. For such an old movie, it actually goes by pretty quick which I guess can be interpreted as how innovative it was, or just how much it’s creators knew how short life can truly be.

Charles Schultz apparently watched this 40 times in his lifetime.

The Fanciful Norwegian

Re: Re:

#525 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:41 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:56 pm
Charles Schultz apparently watched this 40 times in his lifetime.

The American Masters episode on Schulz opened with the snowglobe scene, part of its reductionist thesis (mostly carried over from the David Michaelis biography) that Schulz was burdened by a sense of loss and was always trying to recapture what he was missing.