608 Harold and Maude

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Jeff

Re: 608 Harold and Maude

#26 Post by Jeff » Wed May 09, 2012 10:31 pm

swo17 wrote:Booklet specs have been restored to Criterion's site. It looks like they just got a different critic to write the booklet essay.
An essay by Matt Zoller Seitz is always welcome. They also changed the credit from "New interview with songwriter Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens)" to "New interview with songwriter Yusuf/Cat Stevens."

flyonthewall2983

#27 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:59 am

The Narrator Returns

#28 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sun May 27, 2012 11:04 am

Oddly enough, the review still states that Michael Wood is the writer of the booklet essay.

manicsounds

#29 Post by manicsounds » Mon May 28, 2012 8:11 pm

David M.

#30 Post by David M. » Mon May 28, 2012 11:13 pm

It's a shame DVDBeaver is still posting captures with resolution limitations. If you compare the transition between the black borders at the top and bottom on screen shots from both sites, you'll see that what's actually encoded on the disc is pin-sharp, a solid transition. Thumbs up to Blu-ray.com for what appear to be accurate captures. The other site's show a vertical softening (and presumably also a horizontal one too).

Not slinging mud, this isn't anything personal - just remember that what you're seeing isn't always an accurate representation of the disc.

Still, for this particular disc it's a bit of a moot point... the resolution isn't anything to write home about, although it's surely a limitation of the film element rather than bad mastering.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#31 Post by cdnchris » Wed May 30, 2012 1:54 am

The Narrator Returns wrote:Oddly enough, the review still states that Michael Wood is the writer of the booklet essay.
The essay is by Matt Zoller Seitz.

giovannii84

#32 Post by giovannii84 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:52 pm

Could someone who has the disc please confirm if the final disc ended up having the two trailers on the Paramount DVD release?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#33 Post by cdnchris » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:06 pm

Nope, no trailers.

Lemmy Caution

#34 Post by Lemmy Caution » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:14 pm

knives wrote:I'm really curious to see what Islam has to say about the film. He's such an oddball personality that I imagine he's have a fascinating take on his work in the film.
Not sure why you consider him an oddball, but I assume you'll be disappointed.
His comments about his musical career and the music for the film are very grounded and straight-forward. Stevens says that he was a little miffed at the time because Ashby used demo versions of the songs written for the film, which he had intended to rework and finish.

manicsounds

#35 Post by manicsounds » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:27 am

At the showing of the knives scene, when he says "This is a Harry Carey knife", and the girl says "What's Harry Carey?", I thought it was supposed to be funny because she didn't know who Harry Carey was. I couldn't make a connection between Carey and knives, but I thought there must've been Western with that reference....

But then it leads to a harakiri scene... Ahh! They were saying 'harakiri' just then...

cdnchris
Site Admin

#36 Post by cdnchris » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:32 am

I'm tempted to add a Facebook "like" feature to the forum just so I can "like" that post.

Zot!

#37 Post by Zot! » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:33 am

manicsounds wrote:At the showing of the knives scene, when he says "This is a Harry Carey knife", and the girl says "What's Harry Carey?", I thought it was supposed to be funny because she didn't know who Harry Carey was. I couldn't make a connection between Carey and knives, but I thought there must've been Western with that reference....

But then it leads to a harakiri scene... Ahh! They were saying 'harakiri' just then...
I've heard Americans pronounce the Japanese word like the name of the baseball personality. I'm certain this wasn't intended referential humor, but I always cringe when I hear it.

Lemmy Caution

#38 Post by Lemmy Caution » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:35 pm

Baseball personality?
This is a film forum.

Okay, I lived in Chitown and know just who you mean.

I miss the old days when Americans Americanized things.
For example, during the Civil War, the revolutionary Minié Ball, allowing rifles to be loaded quickly, was put into wide use. American soldiers simply and gleefully called it a Mini Ball, not bothering with any fancy pants French pronunciation.

When I grew up harikiri was often spelled harikari and pronounced like the name of an early Western film star.

Zot!

#39 Post by Zot! » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:43 pm

Lemmy Caution wrote:Baseball personality?
This is a film forum.

Okay, I lived in Chitown and know just who you mean.

I miss the old days when Americans Americanized things.
For example, during the Civil War, the revolutionary Minié Ball, allowing rifles to be loaded quickly, was put into wide use. American soldiers simply and gleefully called it a Mini Ball, not bothering with any fancy pants French pronunciation.

When I grew up harikiri was often spelled harikari and pronounced like the name of an early Western film star.
Ah, see my ignorance is just compounding the hilarity. I suppose I should have known that Harry Caray and Harry Carey are different people.