635 Weekend (1967)

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
ex-cowboy

Re: 635 Weekend (1967)

#76 Post by ex-cowboy » Sun May 30, 2021 8:22 am

Not sure if you've solved this mystery in the last 5 years, but re-watched this the other night and having forgotten Eustache was supposed to be in this saw the carjacking scene and assumed it was him (imdb lists his role as 'l'auto-stoppeur' - which makes sense). However, looking at the actor credited with playing 'Joseph Balsamo', he does seem to bear more than a passing resemblance to Eustache. Fwiw I still think it's Eustache in that scene (or possibly a combination of the two?) and would be intrigued to know where a lot of the credits come from (I do have a copy of the script somewhere which may contain some info on that, but can't find it at present). The imdb credits are a bit messy - Omar Diop is credited as 'Mon Frère Africaine' when it's clearly not the same Omar Diop (if that even is the actor in Weekend's name) who starred in La Chinoise (as imdb claims it to be).

therewillbeblus

#77 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun May 30, 2021 12:58 pm

I just revisited this a few weeks ago, recognized that actor as familiar as well, and was pleased to discover that it's Daniel Pommereulle - the 'other' main male character in Rohmer's La collectionneuse. He does look like Eustache, but I have a hard time imagining that he and Eustache traded places whilst filming that scene for some surreal effect. I rewound the scene and watched it a few times and it appears more like Pommereulle than Eustache to me, which is, of course, expected considering the credits.

ex-cowboy

#78 Post by ex-cowboy » Sun May 30, 2021 1:47 pm

Thanks for this. For some reason I didn't make the connection to La collectionneuse, though his name sounded familiar. On reading your post I was suddenly reminded that when watching the Rohmer I had assumed it was Eustache in that as well, until checking the credits afterwards. Yes, I agree, very unlikely they would have changed places for the same role - it was just a suggestion based on Eustache's role's title and the fact I don't recall any other hitchhikers in the film.