691 Thief

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Matt

691 Thief

#1 Post by Matt » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:09 pm

Thief

The revered American auteur Michael Mann burst out of the gate with his bold artistic sensibility fully formed with Thief, his first theatrical feature. James Caan stars, in one of his most riveting performances, as a no-nonsense ex-con safecracker planning to leave the criminal world behind after one final diamond heist, but discovering that escape is not as simple as he hoped. Finding hypnotic beauty in neon and rain-slick streets, sparks and steel, Thief effortlessly established the moody stylishness and tactile approach to action that would define such later iconic entertainments from Mann as Miami Vice, Manhunter, and Heat.

Disc Features

DIRECTOR-APPROVED EDITION:

- New digital restoration from a 4K film transfer, approved by director Michael Mann, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD-Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Audio commentary featuring Mann and actor James Caan
- New interviews with Mann, Caan, and Johannes Schmoelling of the band Tangerine Dream, which contributed the film’s soundtrack
- Trailer
- One Blu-ray and one DVD, with all content available in both formats
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Nick James

Fletch F. Fletch

#2 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:26 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:I just bought this on DVD last week, and was overall impressed with it. I'm somewhat biased since Michael Mann is one of my all-time favorite directors (pushing that bias somewhat, I hope hope hope the CC puts out a SE of The Insider soon). Other than some of the things that date the film visually, I found it to be effective all the way to the bloody climax.

Thoughts?
Mann is one of my favorite filmmakers of all time as well. I just love his work -- esp. his urban crime thrillers.

I think that Thief is an interesting film in his body of work in that its the purest form of his archetypal protagonist: the loner who is also a consummate professional and tries to achieve his dream of a family and a normal life but is destined to see it slip through his fingers because it causes him to betray who he is. Great film.

James Caan is excellent and brings his customary intensity to the role... arguably his last greatest one to date. James Belushi is quite good too -- who woulda thunk? Thief and Salvador were definitely his finest moments.

I too would love it if Criterion would do an SE of The Insider. It's my favorite Mann film to date. I mean, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility -- they do have a relationship with Buena Vista. Someone needs to plant the idea in Mann's ear seeing as how he's been revisiting his movies on DVD with special editions (I quite enjoyed the one for Heat). Just imagine the possibilites... Mann commentary, a Pacino-Crowe track and a Wigand-Bergman track... plus, the 60 Minutes Wigand interview... ah, the possibilities!

flyonthewall2983

#3 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:31 pm

On top of being Michael's first Criterion, I believe it would be the first film with Pacino in the CC. BTW, does anyone know what is up with the odd black bars on the DVD that BV released?

Fletch F. Fletch

#4 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:36 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:On top of being Michael's first Criterion, I believe it would be the first film with Pacino in the CC. BTW, does anyone know what is up with the odd black bars on the DVD that BV released?
You mean on the menu? I haven't looked at it in a while but is it maybe formatted for widescreen TVs?

flyonthewall2983

#5 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:39 pm

No, the menu is fine. The black bars of the widescreen on the movie are uneven. I think the same might apply for the trailer and the bits of the movie on the DVDs EPK.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#6 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:05 pm

Hear, hear - The Insider in the CC!! I love that idea for three commentaries. Getting Eric Roth on the commentary would be great, too, considering that it's one of the best scripts I've ever read.

flyonthewall2983

#7 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:08 am

The commentary on the Thief DVD (with Mann and Caan) is quite interesting too. It gets quiet in certain spots, but it's one of the more entertaining and informative ones I've heard in awhile.

Fletch F. Fletch

#8 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:08 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:The commentary on the Thief DVD (with Mann and Caan) is quite interesting too. It gets quiet in certain spots, but it's one of the more entertaining and informative ones I've heard in awhile.
The one Mann does for the Manhunter DVD is quite good as well. I find that he tends to talk more about character's motivations and the themes of a given movie more than anything else. Although, the one he did for Ali was more focused on the history and real-life figures, which makes sense all things considered.

flyonthewall2983

#9 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:57 pm

This is a matter of personal taste, but I'm not incredibly fond of solo commentaries. There are a few guys who can do it and keep my attention (one that comes to mind would be John McTiernan). But I do like Mann's approach to his commentaries, especially on discussing the subtext to the characters on the Heat and Collateral tracks.

flyonthewall2983

#10 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:53 am

His commentary on both the Die Hard films he directed were interesting as well.

BWilson

#11 Post by BWilson » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:24 pm

I've always been puzzled by the final shoot out in Thief. It's like they shot it in slow-mo and then sped it up again. The DVD of Thief is a "director's cut" and I was told this "sped up" effect was added many years later. Is that true?

flyonthewall2983

#12 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:43 pm

Yeah, I read that it was on the liner notes of the original laserdisc.

flyonthewall2983

Re: Thief (Michael Mann, 1981)

#13 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:38 pm

This was on one of the Cinemax channels today, and it appeared to have a nice new HD upgrade. I'd love it if it was indicative of a new release, maybe Criterion maybe not, but it was a definite improvement on the old DVD.

dad1153

#14 Post by dad1153 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:47 pm

It was also on MGM-HD a few months back (probably the same HD master rotating between channels) which gives credence to the 10 MGM titles likely to make it to Criterion article.

flyonthewall2983

#15 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:37 pm

If it does wind up a Criterion disc, I hope they take the commentary track from the old disc. James Caan was pretty funny on it and it made for a good track.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

691 Thief

#16 Post by swo17 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:16 pm

Details probably not available until tomorrow

The Elegant Dandy Fop

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#17 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:31 pm

Matt wrote:Whew. I was this close to buying the MGM DVD.
domino harvey wrote:Well, someone did if it's finally getting released!
Why would anyone buy the MGM DVD? It's one of the worst DVDs released by a major studio. It's non-anamorphic and looks like an MPEG-1 video from a bootleg VCD from China. And the cheesy photoshopped booklet looks like it's done by a graphic designer who was a little too obsessed with Metal Machine Music. Hopefully the commentary is ported over where it's just Michael Mann and James Caan shooting the shit for two hours. A very atypical Mann commentary.

Vegeta84

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#18 Post by Vegeta84 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:34 pm

Really happy I can finally get rid of the MGM disc. Thief is a great movie and the MGM was subpar.

oh yeah

Re: 691 Thief

#19 Post by oh yeah » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:54 pm

Wow, perfect. I was just hoping for this the other day actually. I'm a huge Mann fan(boy?) so this is excellent news even regardless of bonus features - that MGM dvd transfer was indeed lamentable, and this is an excellent film, one of the finest debut features (really, The Keep is the only Mann film I don't think is very good).

Wonder if it'll be the Director's Cut, or Theatrical... I find the latter far superior. Mann has this strange penchant for putting out revised cuts of his films that have only a few changes, virtually all of which are unnecessary/bad.

matrixschmatrix

#20 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:06 pm

Given that it's Mann and that there was a huge delay in putting this out, I bet it will actually be a new cut- though hopefully they'll include the theatrical, too.

georgec

#21 Post by georgec » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:44 pm

I'm ecstatic right now. I love this movie!

zedz

#22 Post by zedz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:20 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:Given that it's Mann and that there was a huge delay in putting this out, I bet it will actually be a new cut- though hopefully they'll include the theatrical, too.
Isn't it actually a matter of principle for him that every successive generation of a film's release be a slightly different cut?

MichaelB

#23 Post by MichaelB » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:28 pm

oh yeah wrote:this is an excellent film, one of the finest debut features.
Not as far as the UK and other European countries were concerned - The Jericho Mile got a theatrical release on my side of the Atlantic, so we've always regarded Thief as his second feature.

zedz

#24 Post by zedz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:17 pm

This prompted me to look at Mann's IMDB listings, and weirdly enough, Thief appears there under the sobriquet Violent Streets. It dutifully notes that "Thief" was its original title (in which case, why isn't that what they call it?) I've never even heard of this alternate (and terrible) title - does anybody know its provenance?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#25 Post by swo17 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:21 pm

I take it your IMDb page defaults to the UK title for any given film? It shows up as Thief for me.

Also, apparently it debuted at Cannes under that title.