733 La dolce vita

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
knives

Re: La dolce vita (Federico Fellini, 1960)

#51 Post by knives » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:34 pm

I guess that means a Crit release is only a year or so away.

aox

#52 Post by aox » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:48 am

Yes!

Lowry_Sam

#53 Post by Lowry_Sam » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:36 am

knives wrote:I guess that means a Crit release is only a year or so away.
Hopefully we'll get a loaded 2-disc version.

Zot!

#54 Post by Zot! » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:42 am

Lowry_Sam wrote:
knives wrote:I guess that means a Crit release is only a year or so away.
Hopefully we'll get a loaded 2-disc version.
I'm guessing La Dolce Vita still holds it's place as a world cinema touchstone, so likely there would be considerable fanfare.

atcolomb

#55 Post by atcolomb » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:42 pm

When i saw the news i thought for a second that Paramount will release it on dvd/blu-ray but they rarely release any foreign films at all so i hope Criterion gets it.

Lowry_Sam

#56 Post by Lowry_Sam » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:37 pm

atcolomb wrote:When i saw the news i thought for a second that Paramount will release it on dvd/blu-ray but they rarely release any foreign films at all so i hope Criterion gets it.
It is the title I'd most like to see get the full treatment, I suspect I'm not alone given how often it's requested on their Facebook page & I'm sure it's at the top of the list of Criterion's want list, as it's a companion piece to 8 1/2. The only question is whether Paramount will let it go. Ordinarily I wouldn't see them putting much effort into it, but given that they just went through a lengthy legal battle & the restoration is already completed, they could hang on to it since it is one of the most recognized foreign language titles (even if people aren't familiar with the film itself). But if they do, it would probably be a more bare-bones release.

Matt

#57 Post by Matt » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:13 pm

Paramount typically doesn't release silent films either, but they recently did a spectacular job with Wings, another title many expected to be licensed to Criterion. I don't see them letting this one go, given the huge sum they must have spent on this lawsuit.

atcolomb

#58 Post by atcolomb » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:26 pm

Paramount has released "The Conformist", "1900" and "Is Paris Burning?" so they might release La Dolce Vita too. Paramount did a excellent job on "Wings"!

zedz

#59 Post by zedz » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:10 am

Matt wrote:Paramount typically doesn't release silent films either, but they recently did a spectacular job with Wings, another title many expected to be licensed to Criterion. I don't see them letting this one go, given the huge sum they must have spent on this lawsuit.
Yes, and La dolce vita is a "typical" foreign film in the sense that Casablanca is a "typical" old black and white film. It's the sort of big deal even the most careless of studios is unlikely to give away. But good luck to Criterion anyway!

hearthesilence

#60 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:29 am

atcolomb wrote:Paramount has released "The Conformist", "1900" and "Is Paris Burning?" so they might release La Dolce Vita too. Paramount did a excellent job on "Wings"!
I haven't followed the other two titles, but the two Bertolucci titles were released at the tail end of Paramount's declining interest in putting out their own back catalog. (Warner now handles all of Paramount's home video distribution, even slapping their own stickers on Paramount's leftover stock.) Paramount's DVDs for both Bertolucci titles were in-print for only a few years, and they became expensive items on the used marketplace before boutique labels overseas like Arrow licensed them for Blu-Ray.

What that in mind, I think there's a good chance they'll just license it to Criterion. They stand to make more money that way, and Criterion would do all the work (time, money, effort) putting together a deluxe set.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#61 Post by swo17 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:31 am

zedz wrote:Yes, and La dolce vita is a "typical" foreign film in the sense that Casablanca is a "typical" old black and white film. It's the sort of big deal even the most careless of studios is unlikely to give away. But good luck to Criterion anyway!
Though surely there are different markets for foreign art films vs. English-language Best Picture winners.

Also remember that Paramount gave a big deal like Nashville away.

hearthesilence

#62 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:36 am

The studios have different priorities from one another. (Bear in mind, you can't think of them as equivalent when they're all part of giant conglomerates made up of different companies. Sony Pictures with Sony Electronics, a Universal now owned by Comcast, etc., all of that makes a HUGE difference.)

Comparing Paramount to Warner Bros makes absolutely no sense. Warner puts out Casablanca many times over, yes, but as mentioned, they also distribute all of Paramount's home video stock now.

pedromvu

#63 Post by pedromvu » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:53 pm

Seeing how 8 1/2 is one of the best selling criterion titles and at those prices, there are a lot of possibilities that criterion can pay enough money to get this, since it is guaranteed to sell almost as good as 8 1/2.

Also just checked Paramount library on blu ray, and the only catalog foreign film i could find was "Once Upon a time in the West".

MongooseCmr

#64 Post by MongooseCmr » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:41 am

And that's not even really a foreign film. It was an Italian/American co-production

MichaelB

#65 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:09 am

MongooseCmr wrote:And that's not even really a foreign film. It was an Italian/American co-production
...albeit shot in Italy, almost entirely in Italian - and the English dialogue is completely inconsequential. So I don't think you'd get very far if you tried to market it as an American film!

Mr Sausage

#66 Post by Mr Sausage » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:58 am

MichaelB wrote:
MongooseCmr wrote:And that's not even really a foreign film. It was an Italian/American co-production
...albeit shot in Italy, almost entirely in Italian - and the English dialogue is completely inconsequential. So I don't think you'd get very far if you tried to market it as an American film!
I thought he was referring to Once Upon a Time in the West.

MichaelB

#67 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:11 am

Yes, you're absolutely right - apologies.

Lowry_Sam

Re: 733 La dolce vita

#68 Post by Lowry_Sam » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:17 pm

It's finally here!.....though with the wait I was counting on a 2-discer....

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#69 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:18 pm

I somehow have never seen this (one of my more visible canonical blindspots), so I am looking forward to rectifying that in s-t-y-l-e this fall!

criterion10

#70 Post by criterion10 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:25 pm

I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with Fellini (love Amarcord, Nights of Cabiria, and La Strada), but find many of his works to be overlong and indulgent. While La Dolce Vita unfortunately falls into the latter category, I'm actually quite looking forward to this release, mainly because I'm quite interested in hearing a more scholarly interpretation of the film.

Cronenfly

#71 Post by Cronenfly » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:26 pm

That looks like a nice, concise-yet-wide-ranging set of extras. Glad the legal dispute is well and truly done (between this and the wrangling of the Tatis away from Studio Canal, this month represents a decided victory for rights issues going Criterion's [and, by extension, our] way).

rrenault

#72 Post by rrenault » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:39 pm

Cronenfly wrote:That looks like a nice, concise-yet-wide-ranging set of extras. Glad the legal dispute is well and truly done (between this and the wrangling of the Tatis away from Studio Canal, this month represents a decided victory for rights issues going Criterion's [and, by extension, our] way).
True, although I'm assuming the Tati films were released only in a set because that's all Studio Canal would allow. They weren't licensed to re-release Playtime as a standalone.

Lowry_Sam

#73 Post by Lowry_Sam » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:53 pm

I remember the Koch-Lorber extras being nice....particularly the interviews with Mastroianni & Ekberg (from the 90s?) had some humorous anecdotes, though I don't recall them to be so compelling to be worth revisiting, so I'm not completely surprised they didn't include any of those extras. However,I am surprised they didn't find anything to include from the time of the film's release (making-of doc, tv interviews, premier footage...) except for a lone audio interview.

Koukol

#74 Post by Koukol » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:14 pm

Finally...I'm thrilled!

FrauBlucher

#75 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:18 pm

domino harvey wrote:I somehow have never seen this (one of my more visible canonical blindspots), so I am looking forward to rectifying that in s-t-y-l-e this fall!

You lucky stiff.

Anytime Fellini steps into the Collection is a welcome treat. But this is like eating the whole god damn cake.