107 Mona Lisa

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Maltic

Re: 107 Mona Lisa

#26 Post by Maltic » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:03 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:45 am
Considering how Arrow's release also doesn't contain any scholar interviews, I wonder if Neil Jordan has requested both companies to not to add any in
Many directors seem to have this attitude (David Lynch, famously), which I can't understand, but then I'm not a film-maker.

On the other hand, I'm reminded of Filming Othello, where Welles refers enthusiastically to the treatment of Othello in Jack J. Jorgens' book Shakespeare on Film.

I'm trying to think of other examples of directors commenting on scholarship on their films. Some have argued Cronenberg read Robin Wood's critique of his early films as "reactionary" and took it to heart...

MichaelB

#27 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:26 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Considering how Arrow's release also doesn't contain any scholar interviews, I wonder if Neil Jordan has requested both companies to not to add any in
I thought that the late Mike Sutton's booklet essay covered that side of things perfectly adequately in the Arrow edition, although admittedly at the time I was under the impression that it would remain a permanent part of the package.
Maltic wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:03 am
Many directors seem to have this attitude (David Lynch, famously)
David Lynch, Michael Mann, and...?

I daresay there are others, but it's quite telling that the same examples get trotted out over and over again! In fifteen years of overseeing dozens of DVD and Blu-ray projects, I've never once had a filmmaker attempt to influence the contents of the disc - and unless they actually owned the rights to the main feature, which is also extremely rare, whether or not such a request gets granted would be entirely down to the label.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#28 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:16 pm

Until recently I would have said Woody Allen but since he okayed Arrow's box sets with the accompanying books of essays it must be a bit more complicated

yoloswegmaster

#29 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:29 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:26 am
yoloswegmaster wrote:
I thought that the late Mike Sutton's booklet essay covered that side of things perfectly adequately in the Arrow edition, although admittedly at the time I was under the impression that it would remain a permanent part of the package.
Maltic wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:03 am
Many directors seem to have this attitude (David Lynch, famously)
David Lynch, Michael Mann, and...?

I daresay there are others, but it's quite telling that the same examples get trotted out over and over again! In fifteen years of overseeing dozens of DVD and Blu-ray projects, I've never once had a filmmaker attempt to influence the contents of the disc - and unless they actually owned the rights to the main feature, which is also extremely rare, whether or not such a request gets granted would be entirely down to the label.
I was forgetting that they had a booklet since they don't mention it on their website. I would also add Wong Kar-Wai to that list since it seems like he vetoed any new supplements from scholars from the WKW boxset, and even prohibited Criterion from using the previous Tony Rayns audio commentary for Chungking Express.

MichaelB

#30 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:13 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:16 pm
Until recently I would have said Woody Allen but since he okayed Arrow's box sets with the accompanying books of essays it must be a bit more complicated
Yes, we knew upfront with that project that we wouldn't be able to include anything other than the trailer on the actual discs. But he was clearly fine with printed material - although we made a point of sending volume 1 over for approval before working on volumes 2 and 3, just in case he vetoed it.

Back in 1971, Woody Allen was in the very unusual position of having a contract with United Artists (later Orion) that guaranteed him complete approval of all marketing materials, and "marketing materials" presumably also includes video extras. But we knew this already, so there was no danger of any kerfuffle there - although I seem to recall Twilight Time had to scrap a commentary.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#31 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:40 pm

Yeah, they either recorded or planned to record one for Interiors

Randall Maysin

#32 Post by Randall Maysin » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:44 pm

..Maybe this is a sign that Criterion will release The Butcher Boy!....?

FrauBlucher

#33 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:26 am

FrauBlucher

#34 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:17 pm

omegadirective

#35 Post by omegadirective » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:13 am

Ok, this is probably an incredibly naive question, but why can’t the girl eat anything but ice cream?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#36 Post by cdnchris » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:52 pm

I can't remember if it's mentioned in the film, but on the commentary Neil Jordan mentions that it's one of the few things that severe heroin addicts can/will eat. My experience with addicts is almost nil (I knew someone who WAS an addict before I met him), BUT googling "heroin ice cream" (and fearing the results) it appears heroin addicts can crave sweets, and one of the first articles is about a person who unknowingly dated a heroin addict who did midnight ice cream runs, so there may be some truth to it.