10 Walkabout

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
DeprongMori

Re: 10 Walkabout

#101 Post by DeprongMori » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:04 pm

black&huge wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:19 am
so will this be the first Criterion blu re-release that isn't part of a comprehensive boxset?
It was preceded by an upgraded Blu-ray release of Monterey Pop a couple years ago.

Gregory

#102 Post by Gregory » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:25 am

Audio commentary highlight: the wombat that nibbles Luc Roeg half an hour in was "an extremely destructive little creature" that ate a huge amount of equipment because they put It into a van where it "chewed through everything." Just made my list of top animal actors.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#103 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:58 am

FrauBlucher

#104 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:23 pm

hearthesilence

#105 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:31 pm

The UHD actually looks pretty good, but I can't tell if they've applied a bit of filtering again. (There's some weird softening on the borders that may have something to do with Gary's capture method.) I also tried blowing up some overlapping frames from the Second Sight caps on caps-a-holic, and the Criterion UHD caps on DVDBeaver still look a touch better, but otherwise it's clearly the same master. I guess it comes down to how well it looks with Dolby Vision or HDR activated?

Rupert Pupkin

#106 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:32 pm

I have Walkabout blu-ray since day one (no bronzing) but got a replacement copy just in case (second pressing)

The new 4K UHD combo + Blu-Ray : I have noticed that the lithography on the blu-ray disk is different (a lithography which is Tree Of Life's a-like : rainbow-sun for the blu-ray disk, earth in the dark for the UHD) : but the Blu-Ray is a replica in terms of transfer/authoring to the original blu-ray disk ?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#107 Post by tenia » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:10 am

The screencaps exemples used by Chris in his reviews are (in a very sad way) absolutely fascinating. It's as if somebody used a commercial product to do some R&D trials on the encodes and left a poor result on the final disc.
I'm particularly mesmerized by the 13th capture and what could be described as a compression gradiant going from left (very good) to right (youtube-esque).

I've absolutely never seen this before (and oh god I hope not a single other disc will ever show such an abomination again) and would love for someone like David M to chime in to explain what might have happened in terms of encoding settings. I'm actually surprised such an encode could be performed that way. I mean, I've seen the usual LEGO-vision Pixelogic stuff, I know (only too much) about the "cyclic compression issues" we regularly get in France, or the chroma issues a-gogo coming from some UHD encodes (like Paramount) but a gradiant like this ? It looks like someone managed to create yet another way to poorly compress on disc a 4K restoration made from the OCN.