925 Il sore Ratso

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
senseabove

Re: 925 Il sore Ratso

#51 Post by senseabove » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:10 pm

I can't speak to particulars as I've not seen this since I was a teenager, but it might be part of the recently more widespread criticism of "bury your gays" tropes, which, yes, could also be a way for queer writers to present queer characters with lighter contemporary mainstream scrutiny. For a more scholarly overview, here's an article I've only skimmed, but it seems, unsurprisingly, to cover the topic and its complications—including queer writers' implementation of the trope—more thoroughly than TVTropes.

TheKieslowskiHaze

Re: 925 Il sore Ratso

#52 Post by TheKieslowskiHaze » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:31 pm

knives wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:28 pm
I wonder how they add that to Schlesinger’s sexuality.
I'm sure the book mentions it, but the NPR article's omission of that fact is very misleading.
Yes, just that short passage is a much more nuanced take from Frankel than the NPR article implies.
senseabove wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:10 pm
I can't speak to particulars as I've not seen this since I was a teenager, but it might be part of the recently more widespread criticism of "bury your gays" tropes, which, yes, could also be a way for queer writers to present queer characters with lighter contemporary mainstream scrutiny. For a more scholarly overview, here's an article I've only skimmed, but it seems, unsurprisingly, to cover the topic and its complications—including queer writers' implementation of the trope—more thoroughly than TVTropes.
I have heard criticism leveled at
SpoilerShow
the male client whom Joe Buck murders.
The gist being that that particular character's sexuality and role in the film is too one dimensional, a mere device for the protagonist's own gay-panic.

Thanks all; I appreciate the responses.