1006 The Story of Temple Drake

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: 1006 The Story of Temple Drake

#51 Post by tenia » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:36 am

domino harvey wrote:Assuming I understand your meaning, wouldn't a passéiste not frame things as being good "even" for an older period, though? The assumption in his words is that modern audiences would be more attuned to whatever it is he thinks she's doing here but even those rubes back in ye olden days of Hollywoode should have recognized it
Passéiste is indeed how it was so much better before.
I took Svet's words to be in this kind of state of mind. Maybe I misread what he meant for this one, though I was talking in a more general fashion about him.

Nw_jahrles

#52 Post by Nw_jahrles » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:50 pm

Svet is not alone in his praise for Hopkins performance. Glenn Erickson's take https://trailersfromhell.com/the-story-of-temple-drake/

"Perhaps director Roberts should take a bow simply for aiding his star Miriam Hopkins — it’s her picture all the way. Temple Drake is a daring character, and Hopkins’ performance is no less remarkable. Even beyond the excellent script, Hopkins understands Temple Drake, and invests her with innocence and integrity even as the woman makes bad decisions. Temple is indeed perhaps looking for trouble, but surely not the kind she finds, delivered into the hands of an unprincipled, thoroughly slimy underworld thug."

"Hopkins’ contribution is what makes the movie important instead of trashy. Even more than in modern movies, we can see how women are made to carry the burden of guilt in a society that tolerates sexual violence. Ruby’s derogatory remarks against Temple cut deep, but she’s a victim of the same injustice. A judge’s daughter will likely escape the consequences of her foolishness, when an unmarried ‘white trash’ woman like Ruby would be assumed to be sinfully guilty."

knives

#53 Post by knives » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:32 am

This is such a terrible film and really highlights the limitations of Hollywood storytelling in this era with the need to show a simple and straightforward story to audiences leaving us with a stupid, turgid showing of events just because. Dom has already torn to shreds Hopkins, but I just want to add that this is probably the worst performance by a star I've ever seen. What she's asked to do here would be hard for anyone, but her idea of the character as a slurring death mask bimbo is just too much.

As someone who has read, and adores, the book I'll talk a little about adaptation. The book is incredibly cinematic and could be adapted with great ease. The sole problem is that precode Hollywood had specific ideas of storytelling that means some serious changes needed to be made. That's okay and there are ways that could have been done well, but every time this film should have turned left it swerves right off a cliff.

Thor first necessary change is that the type of ensemble that Sanctuary is is one that is not supported by the era. It wasn't really until the '50s town melodramas that we get anything like the book though the Altman films, especially Nashville, are the closest. The film thus has a dozen characters to choose to be our guide. There are many good choices, but instead they chose Temple Drake, a passive character who is camatose for most of the novel and isn't even named until the last act. Presumably this choice was dictated by her being subject to the book's most famous scene, but that only seems to speak for the film's desire to only be salacious without thought or poetry.

This bad choice necessitates other bad choices in kind. Drake's story is told mostly in narration and doesn't occur in real time in the novel. Even though this isn't really an experimental touch for a book for films of the era filling in backstory that way wasn't done. What to do then except tell her story in conventional order and add a twenty minute prologue to fill in some details.

This again goes to show how unthinking the adaptation is. The book's reverse order helps breed sympathy for Drake. We see the effects of her rape even before we know the cause or the character. She's a sad character whose circumstances give us reason to care. As details come in our sympathies are heightened and lowered in a complex dance which highlights and makes theme out of the very idea of sympathy. This has a high point contrasting all of what we've seen with a black man condemned to death singing, a scene the film tellingly lacks, asking us again to see if we can sympathize just because of the scene. It's a literary Kuleshov effect in essence.

That's not our story here. Instead for the millionth time Hollywood provides a morality tale of a good girl of high class who because of a partying streak gets into trouble over her head with the film wagging its finger the whole time. I don't know about you, but I don't think rape should be used to explain the moral category of a character. It seems irrelevant.

The absolute worst thing though is this idiotic invented conclusion, the movie it should be said adapts only about 15 pages of the book, which is dictated more by convention then the needs of the story. The movie must reform Temple and make her end a real good girl. She's been bad and frivolous and gotten punished and so now must be shown making a moral stand to present to the audience she is actually reformed. What utterly gross garbage. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate this movie and it in all honesty makes other films with the same structure look all the worse in my eyes. That's right this movie is so bad it makes other movies also bad.

Please don't make the badness of this film prevent you from reading the completely unrelated book which is truly great.