1053 The Gunfighter

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
therewillbeblus

Re: 1053 The Gunfighter

#26 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:51 pm

I've rewatched this one a lot over the last few years, but had to check out the new transfer and what a gorgeous release. Of course there's also more meat to pull from this deceptively-slim, philosophically-weighty film. It's an atypical western in many ways, starting with a multitude of de-romanticized ("no glory" as Drucker says) scenes or talk of people killings others outside of fair fighting practices, not abiding by a written or unwritten code. Whether it's the man planning to snipe Ringo or the melancholic recounting of an old friend’s husband getting shot in the back of the head, the actual mutually-cognizant showdowns exist side-by-side with passive blindsided murder, and even the reciprocally-conscious forced-draws aren't consensual between parties. The most haunting death is the one told in story by the widow, because she, Ringo, and we all sit in confusion, impotent to find any 'reason' for this death- a rare move for a western that lives by clear character motives for some kind of logic, even in killing. The way that conversation shifts from horrifying unknowability to meditating on the life of Peck’s child as he asks questions about him, complements two polar sides of this milieu: brutal meaningless death and warm meaningful life.

I've also become more mindful of just how incredibly provocative Ringo is throughout the film, using his bitter tongue as a weapon because he knows his hands can back it up. He plays the part of being resistant to showdowns, but his killer-label is still a core part of his identity at this point, so what appears to be an attempt to retreat from it isn't necessarily the case.
SpoilerShow
Only once he meets his son does he have a desire to change, but the man we see for a bulk of the film is in this purgatory stage, torn between a part of him that wants to get away and a part that clings to all he has left: an egotistical sense of purpose in warped heroism -as noted by how he asks first about whether his son admires his reputation as a “hero”(!)
I still think this is an optimistic film, as I outlined in posts upthread, and the best example of a western that takes the recovery model of rehabilitation and applies it to the genre’s fundamental themes, because it doesn't define success based on uncontrollable outcomes of a long and happy life post-change, but an internal one of actualizing personal meaning regardless of how much time you have left.

hearthesilence

#27 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:20 pm

It warms my heart to see Gregory Peck pay tribute to Bob Dylan - as he points out, it was this film that inspired one of Dylan's looniest and most hilarious songs, the epic "Brownsville Girl."

Roger Ryan

#28 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:43 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:20 pm
It warms my heart to see Gregory Peck pay tribute to Bob Dylan - as he points out, it was this film that inspired one of Dylan's looniest and most hilarious songs, the epic "Brownsville Girl."
That is a great clip. The info is off, however: the clip is from 1997 when Dylan was honored, not 1991 (when Peck was honored). I couldn't recall the exact year myself and accepted the clip was from '91 until seeing the album cover of 1997's Time Out of Mind in the tribute montage; I knew that album wasn't released until '97!

hearthesilence

#29 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:37 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:43 pm
hearthesilence wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:20 pm
That is a great clip. The info is off, however: the clip is from 1997 when Dylan was honored, not 1991 (when Peck was honored). I couldn't recall the exact year myself and accepted the clip was from '91 until seeing the album cover of 1997's Time Out of Mind in the tribute montage; I knew that album wasn't released until '97!
Not only that, but the Clintons wouldn't be sitting with the honorees in 1991 (or even 1992)! I never saw this when it was broadcast, but I caught a clip of Springsteen's performance (which would've happened after the recording cut off) - if memory serves, Dylan was actually moved to tears, which is startling because he ain't exactly the most emotional guy in the world (at least in public).

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#30 Post by Rayon Vert » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:49 am

That extra on King and the film by Gina Telaroli is pretty fantastic. She really knows his work and makes a case for him as an auteur. Too bad he's now locked away by the evil mouse.