1073 Memories of Murder

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

1073 Memories of Murder

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:17 pm

Memories of Murder

In his breakthrough second feature, Bong Joon Ho explodes the conventions of the policier with thrillingly subversive, genre-defying results. Based on the true story of a string of serial killings that rocked a rural community in the 1980s, Memories of Murder stars New Korean Cinema icon Song Kang Ho as the local officer who reluctantly joins forces with a seasoned Seoul detective (Kim Sang Kyung) to investigate the crimes—leading each man on a wrenching, yearslong odyssey of failure and frustration that will drive him to the existential edge. Combining a gripping procedural with a vivid social portrait of the everyday absurdity of life under military rule, Bong fashions a haunting journey into ever-deepening darkness that begins as a black-comic satire and ends as a soul-shattering encounter with the abyss.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
  • New 4K digital restoration, supervised by cinematographer Kim Hyung Ku and approved by director Bong Joon Ho, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Two 2009 commentaries featuring Bong and members of the cast and crew, plus a new commentary featuring critic Tony Rayns
  • New program featuring filmmaker Guillermo del Toro
  • New interview with Bong about the real-life serial killer who inspired the film
  • Documentary from 2004 on the making of the film
  • Deleted scenes, with optional audio commentary by Bong
  • New program about the use of sound in Bong’s work, featuring film scholar Jeff Smith
  • Incoherence, a 1994 student film by Bong, with a new introduction by the director
  • Teaser, trailer, and TV spot
    PLUS: An essay by critic and novelist Ed Park

Finch

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#2 Post by Finch » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:35 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:17 pm
Excellent news, I feel like Memories of Murder is one of the few left that's been kicking around the "most wanted Criterions" on reddit for ages, though I haven't been there in years to know if it's still been going strong
Would be nice if Memories of Murder was perhaps from a new scan. The film isn't that old but it could benefit from one regardless, and people like me can then retire the Korean import.

Ribs

#3 Post by Ribs » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:41 pm

It’s from the 4K restoration Neon is releasing this year - is that what’s already on the old disc?

Luke M

#4 Post by Luke M » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:21 am

Ribs wrote:It’s from the 4K restoration Neon is releasing this year - is that what’s already on the old disc?
No, I don't think so. The Korean disc is from 2010.

Moshrom

#5 Post by Moshrom » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:05 am

It'll at least be nice to have Criterion confirm in their transfer notes whether the recent restoration of Memories of Murder (released by La Rabbia in France) reflects Bong's intended colour grading. It's very different than the Korean disc, but I quite like it. The Korean disc is very contrasty (highlights are majorly clipped) and the colours look oversaturated.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#6 Post by tenia » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:45 pm

Moshrom wrote:It'll at least be nice to have Criterion confirm in their transfer notes whether the recent restoration of Memories of Murder (released by La Rabbia in France) reflects Bong's intended colour grading. It's very different than the Korean disc, but I quite like it. The Korean disc is very contrasty (highlights are majorly clipped) and the colours look oversaturated.
That'd be indeed nice. The new restoration is, say, strange in some places, and the grading definitely is one of these places. It didn't shock me during viewing though, but once I saw some caps of the older disc, I did wonder what was the correct look because they convey quite different feelings.

chatterjees

Re: 1054 Parasite

#7 Post by chatterjees » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:07 pm

Now the wait begins. If we are lucky, maybe in couple of years Memories of Murder will get a release. #-o

The Fanciful Norwegian

Re: Forthcoming: Memories of Murder

#8 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:47 pm

This is getting a Fathom Events release in the U.S. on October 19th and 20th. Unfortunate for me since I won't be going into any theaters through at least the end of this year, but I assume/hope Neon will make it available for regular bookings later on, especially since a Fathom release locks out arthouse/independent theaters.

filmyfan

#9 Post by filmyfan » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:55 am

Limited release at the BFI next week - I booked what will be my first cinema trip for 7 months!

FrauBlucher

#10 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:38 pm

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#11 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:09 pm

I wonder if I will finally be able to re-watch this?

One of the few masterpiece movies that produced so much trauma and sadness for me that I've never been able to watch our DVD again.

therewillbeblus

#12 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:51 pm

Interesting that your impression was so skewed, since I find it endlessly rewatchable, and a perfect balance of tones. Bong strikes a spot that’s certainly depressing but also darkly humorous and just flat-out enjoyable. There are clear similarities with Zodiac plotwise, but the cinematic strengths are uncanny in their rhythmic synchronization as well. Also that score is simply one of my favorites ever, and I’ve sat and done work with the DVD menu on repeat for longer than I’d like to admit on at least one occasion.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:43 pm

For those who can’t wait, Artificial Eye is releasing it on Blu in a double feature with Barking Dogs Never Bite

therewillbeblus

#14 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:59 pm

Another stacked Bong release, three commentaries, Bong's student film, and some really interesting-sounding extras- especially intriguing is the interview of Bong talking about how the serial killer inspired him personally

Big Ben

#15 Post by Big Ben » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:09 pm

A perfect way for me to see the film then. Glad I waited all this time to do so. Guillermo del Toro has also contributed on a new feature as well.

nostaljhia

Re: 1073 Memories of Murder

#16 Post by nostaljhia » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:38 pm

I hate to be that guy, but... why is it so green?

Other than that the features look great, but this trend just baffles me.

yoloswegmaster

#17 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:56 pm

Insane how stacked this release is. Looking at this however, and at the other blurays of other East Asian films from all the Western companies, the one thing that I notice is that they all lack new interviews with the cast members.

Edit: According to Grady Hendrix, one of the reasons this took a while to be released is because they wanted to make sure that they actually had the rights to 'Incoherence'.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#18 Post by tenia » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:31 am

nostaljhia wrote:I hate to be that guy, but... why is it so green?

Other than that the features look great, but this trend just baffles me.
If it's the same restoration than in France, the grading as a whole is indeed quite strange at times.

feihong

#19 Post by feihong » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:39 am

That whole trailer looks pretty dark and grim. So the French version has this kind of ultra-dark, excessively–green grading? Are people doing this trying to mimic the look of modern digital cinematography? Every time I see "that scene," the scene you see in every modern digital movie, where they shoot using only the brimming dawn light, or a faint light outside the window, refracted through an opaque shade, or whatever low-light scheme they all do now (and sometimes this is more than one scene, and more like the whole movie)––at any rate, it is very cringe. One of the worst trends in modern cinema. But it seems like people doing these restorations are mimicking that low-light, low-contrast digital look. Why make your movie a strain to see? I don't get it.

Plus the range of color in that restoration trailer is so limited. When you're making a movie in which a killer is driven to kill in part by seeing the color red, shouldn't you make sure the color we see is actually red? Because the reds in these screencaps are rust brown.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#20 Post by swo17 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:59 am

I dunno, maybe this makes more sense--if the world looked to me like the pictures on the right, I'd probably become a serial killer too

cowboydan

#21 Post by cowboydan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:43 pm

feihong wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:39 am
That whole trailer looks pretty dark and grim. So the French version has this kind of ultra-dark, excessively–green grading?
Based on the trailer, it also looks very grey in addition to the green. I think they tried to make the grading look like a David Fincher film. Even though Zodiac is the most similar to Memories of Murder in story, I would say the new grading looks more similar to greyish color grades of Se7en, Gone Girl, and Panic Room. I think that Zodiac manages to retain some of it's warm saturated colors a bit more than the others.

How rude!

#22 Post by How rude! » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:59 pm

No previous dvd release looked like the upcoming Criterion. Filmmakers can tinker all they like, but such a drastically different (and inferior to me) version should be included as an extra. Thanks for posting the comparison. Does Criterion have the distribution rights in the UK, or can we hope for a better image from a UK distributor?

(By the by, I regard this as a far superior film to Zodiac)

Pavel

#23 Post by Pavel » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:07 pm

How rude! wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:59 pm
No previous dvd release looked like the upcoming Criterion. Filmmakers can tinker all they like, but such a drastically different (and inferior to me) version should be included as an extra. Thanks for posting the comparison. Does Criterion have the distribution rights in the UK, or can we hope for a better image from a UK distributor?

Artificial Eye in the UK, no?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#24 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:02 pm

Looks like crud color-wise. Think I'll stick with the Korean DVD.

funeralkraken

#25 Post by funeralkraken » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:16 pm

How rude! wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:59 pm

Artificial Eye released Memories of Murder and Barking Dogs Never Bite together last year, it's sourced from the same master as the Criterion version.