World of Wong Kar Wai

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
therewillbeblus

Re: World of Wong Kar Wai

#801 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:20 pm

Of course, WKW even got some Richard Cranium noms last year in preparation

Boosmahn

#802 Post by Boosmahn » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:02 am

Finch wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:12 pm
If nothing else, this is going to be number one for the Worst 2021 Criterion release on this forum's end of year list. Right?
I already have "Wong Kar-why?" lined up as my vote.

Zot!

#803 Post by Zot! » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:26 am

These revisionist directors are just asking for a backlash. I don't think I've ever seen someone complain that they are given an option, and in some cases I've actually come around to preferring the redux on a few occasions, like Blade Runner. Had I not been allowed to see the theatrical version alongside, I probably would not be so generous.

It is a tricky proposition however, because Lucas has successfully managed to basically eradicate the original cuts of one of the most beloved film franchises from future generations by correctly anticipating that no kid would ever bother watching a SD copy they would (god-forbid) have to borrow from the library, and no (well, most) parents would think it important enough to insist.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#804 Post by tenia » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:46 am

Exactly. As I wrote in the past, the issue is that these aren't restorations, they're newly restored alternate versions, and should definitely advertised as such, not be presented as restorations and "oh by the way, here is a complementary note from WKW about their exact content".
Is this note actually packaged in the final product somewhere ? I'm not even sure. If not, then the set doesn't even advertise clearly you don't get the original versions anywhere.

Also, this doesn't assess the cut monologue, which still feels like a weirdly lazy technical decision to cut them rather than source the sound from a secondary source.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#805 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:39 pm

I am feeling better and better about my decades long ambivalence about WKW (but still feeling rather heartbroken about Bong).

criterionsnob

#806 Post by criterionsnob » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:45 pm

tenia wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:46 am
Is this note actually packaged in the final product somewhere ? I'm not even sure. If not, then the set doesn't even advertise clearly you don't get the original versions anywhere.
Yes, the WKW note is printed inside the book.

cowboydan

#807 Post by cowboydan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:48 pm

I didn't buy the set myself. I'm pretty weary of it and the supposed issues with discs freezing. Luckily my roommate bought the set, so we can watch them on our decent sized TV. I am curious see a few of these again. When I did the screencaps, I mostly watched them on my desktop and the streaming quality wasnt too great.

Finch

#808 Post by Finch » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:33 pm

Botched restorations, a director imposing his choices on everyone else with no regard for preserving the cuts that made him famous in the first place and now freezing discs? This set really has it all.

therewillbeblus

#809 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:35 pm

cowboydan wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:48 pm
I'm pretty weary of it and the supposed issues with discs freezing.
Anonymous undercover Criterion employee sabotaging WKW's crimes from the inside = Member of the Year 2021

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#810 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:39 pm

WKWhistleblowers

Finch

#811 Post by Finch » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:33 am

I still like boosmahn's Wong-Kar Why? best. That would be such an amazing hashtag to trend on twitter.

therewillbeblus

#812 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:39 am

#sameriversameman

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#813 Post by swo17 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:34 am

Meanwhile, Taylor Swift is in the process of completely re-recording her back catalogue to sound as close as possible to the original versions (because she doesn't own the rights to the original recordings). Let's...give her our Criterion money?

therewillbeblus

#814 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:48 am

Hasn't she heard that they're not the same songs and she's not Taylor Swift?

Calvin

#815 Post by Calvin » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:49 am

beamish14 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:06 pm
senseabove wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:54 pm
I'll just have to daydream about someone remuxing these so we have the best audio, subtitles, and video from all the various sources...

Hong Kong Rescue Society could be our savior. I actually emailed Jacob from that site regarding Ashes of Time
I've thought about emailing him re: Ashes of Time before and hadn't got round to it. I'd happily split the costs of a custom project if it's viable.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#816 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:12 am

Finch wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:33 am
I still like boosmahn's Wong-Kar Why? best. That would be such an amazing hashtag to trend on twitter.
Should be the title of this thread too.

schellenbergk

#817 Post by schellenbergk » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:13 am

Dissenting voice here - I'm really loving this set. I've only seen two of WKW's films before as I noted elsewhere so these are new to me. My only gripes are minor: the unfolding puzzle-box seems over-designed to me, and I don't get why some of the book's pages are glued together.

But the films are astounding, and I'm happy to have these seven all together in one director-approved package.

Dare I say it - this is my vote for set of the year?

yoloswegmaster

#818 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:24 am

schellenbergk wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:13 am
Dissenting voice here - I'm really loving this set. I've only seen two of WKW's films before as I noted elsewhere so these are new to me. My only gripes are minor: the unfolding puzzle-box seems over-designed to me, and I don't get why some of the book's pages are glued together.

But the films are astounding, and I'm happy to have these seven all together in one director-approved package.

Watch out, you're about to be called a Criterion fanboy.

schellenbergk

#819 Post by schellenbergk » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:32 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:24 am
schellenbergk wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:13 am

:wink: Whatever. To misquote the old film "This has all the earmarks of group think". . .

therewillbeblus

#820 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:59 am

Not to be a second pedantic guy, but the term groupthink supposes that those damning this set are doing so in blindly joining the chorus without critical reasoning, and there are roughly 33 pages of that, so I think you’re looking for hivemindedness or something similar that targets the outcome rather than process

MichaelB

#821 Post by MichaelB » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:04 pm

I'm more than happy to give Fallen Angels the benefit of the doubt until I've seen the restoration.

(And I have the old Kino disc anyway.)

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#822 Post by soundchaser » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:35 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:24 am
Since this is clearly aimed at me, I’ll direct you to my actual post on the subject:
soundchaser wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:27 am
kekid wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:15 am
Given all the unfavorable comments on this set, can someone tell us why anyone should consider buying this set?
This is the only in-print disc available for a lot of these films, so if you just want something you can walk in a shop and buy for a (semi) reasonable price and don’t care about the changes, I could see it being convenient. That said, I think most people posting here are probably willing to put in the work to find other releases should they so choose.

Other than that? Criterion fanboy completionism.
Notice the entire first paragraph, where I describe reasons for buying the set that sound very much like schellenbergk’s? You clearly think I’m being uncharitable, but I don’t agree — and even if I were, you can’t deny that the ethos of Criterion is one of the reasons this set is getting fawned over by critics and (yes) label fanboys. If Kino or Shout! Factory or another label with less prestige released these “restorations,” there would be scores of people warning others off the discs, demanding replacement programs, and trashing the company.

I don’t know why you’ve had it in for me for almost 30 pages and 5 months of thread when I’ve clearly explained why I think the problems with this set are serious, but I wish you’d stop pretending that I hate the company or that I’m upset about this release for no reason, when neither is the case. I think uncritical worship of anything, especially a company that exists to make money, is a far more pressing issue than my using the word “fanboy.”

schellenbergk

#823 Post by schellenbergk » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:45 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:59 am
Not to be a second pedantic guy, but the term groupthink supposes that those damning this set are doing so in blindly joining the chorus without critical reasoning, and there are roughly 33 pages of that, so I think you’re looking for hivemindedness or something similar that targets the outcome rather than process
Fair point!

schellenbergk

#824 Post by schellenbergk » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:50 pm

While we disagree about the value of the boxset, I do admire your attention to detail. In the end, I find the boxset a valuable addition to my collection; but I’m a more knowledgable consumer due to your input. So thanks.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#825 Post by soundchaser » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:54 pm

schellenbergk wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:50 pm
While we disagree about the value of the boxset, I do admire your attention to detail. In the end, I find the boxset a valuable addition to my collection; but I’m a more knowledgable consumer due to your input. So thanks.
cowboydan has done much of the heavy lifting/legwork, so they deserve a lot of the credit. I’m just stubborn. ;)