1082 The Signifyin' Works of Marlon Riggs

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

1082 The Signifyin' Works of Marlon Riggs

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:20 pm

The Signifyin' Works of Marlon Riggs

There has never been a filmmaker like Marlon Riggs (1957–1994): an unapologetic gay Black man who defied a culture of silence and shame to speak his truth with resounding joy and conviction. An early adopter of video technology who had a profound understanding of the power of words and images to effect change, Riggs employed a bold mix of documentary, performance, poetry, music, and experimental techniques in order to confront issues that most of Reagan-era America refused to acknowledge, from the devastating legacy of racist stereotypes to the impact of the AIDS crisis on his own queer African American community to the very definition of what it is to be Black. Bringing together Riggs's complete works—including his controversy-inciting queer landmark Tongues Untied and Black Is...Black Ain't, his deeply personal career summation—The Signifyin' Works of Marlon Riggs traces the artistic and political evolution of a transformative filmmaker whose work is both an electrifying call for liberation and an invaluable historical document.

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • New high-definition digital masters of all seven films, with uncompressed stereo soundtracks on the Blu-rays
  • Four new programs featuring editor Christiane Badgley; performers Brian Freeman, Reginald T. Jackson, and Bill T. Jones; filmmakers Cheryl Dunye and Rodney Evans; poet Jericho Brown; film and media scholar Racquel Gates; and sociologist Herman Gray
  • Long Train Running: The Story of the Oakland Blues(1981), Riggs's graduate thesis film
  • Introduction to Riggs, recorded in 2020 and featuring filmmakers Vivian Kleiman and Shikeith, and Ashley Clark, curatorial director of the Criterion Collection
  • I Shall Not Be Removed: The Life of Marlon Riggs (1996), a documentary by Karen Everett that features interviews with Riggs; Kleiman; filmmaker Isaac Julien; African American studies scholar Barbara Christian; several of Riggs's longtime friends and collaborators; and members of his family
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    PLUS: An essay by film critic K. Austin Collins
Ethnic Notions

Marlon Riggs brings viewers face-to-face with the insidious images that have shaped America's racial mythologies, in his first major work, a brilliant and disturbing deconstruction of the ways in which anti-Black stereotypes have permeated nearly every aspect of popular culture. Through razor-sharp historical analysis including interviews with historians and folklore scholars, powerfully deployed imagery, and narration by actor Esther Rolle, Ethnic Notions illuminates, with devastating clarity, how dehumanizing caricatures of Black people—seen everywhere from children's books to films to household products—have been used to uphold white supremacy and to justify slavery, segregation, and the continuing oppression of African Americans. In its refusal to look away from racism's ugliest manifestations, this Emmy-winning documentary has become an essential text for understanding the origins of American racial violence.

Tongues Untied

Made, in Marlon Riggs's own words, to "shatter the nation's brutalizing silence on matters of sexual and racial difference," this radical blend of documentary and performance defies the stigmas surrounding Black gay sexuality in the belief that, as long as shame prevails, liberation will never be possible. Through music and dance, words and poetry by such pathbreaking writers as Essex Hemphill and Joseph Beam—and by turns candid, humorous, and heartbreaking interviews with queer African American men—Tongues Untied gives voice to what it means to live as an outsider in both a Black community rife with homophobia and a largely white gay subculture poisoned by racism. A lightning rod in the conservative culture wars of the 1980s that incited a right-wing furor over public funding for the arts, the film has lost none of its resonance in its unapologetic, life-affirming declaration that "Black men loving Black men is the revolutionary act."

Affirmations

Marlon Riggs expresses the hopes, dreams, and desires of gay Black men in this ode to queer African American empowerment. Built around outtakes of interview and protest footage from Tongues Untied, Affirmations begins as a candid, sex-positive confessional about first-time penetration and evolves into a rousing chorus of calls for freedom, recognition, and inclusion.

Anthem

"Pervert the language." Made at a time when Marlon Riggs was three years into living with HIV and the motto "Silence=Death" was the queer community's defiant response to the antigay policies of the Reagan era, this experimental music video employs a mix of poetry, African beats, and provocative imagery—sexual, political, and religious—in order to challenge and redefine prevailing images of Black masculinity. Led by the liberated dancing of the filmmaker himself, Anthem is a bold vision of queer revolution, proclaiming "Every time we kiss we confirm the new world coming."

Color Adjustment

What does the American dream look like? Where do Black Americans fit into it? And what is television's role in shaping our views of racial progress and the idealized American family? Picking up where the groundbreaking Ethnic Notions left off, this pioneering work of media studies by Marlon Riggs presents a complicated, challenging, and nuanced view of evolving racial attitudes as reflected in popular programs such as Amos 'n' Andy, Julia, All in the Family, Good Times, Roots, and The Cosby Show. Narrated by Ruby Dee and featuring interviews with actors Diahann Carroll, Tim Reid, and Esther Rolle, African American historian Henry Louis Gates Jr., and producer Norman Lear, among others, Color Adjustment looks beyond the whitewashed, middle-class mythologies peddled by prime-time entertainment to track the ways in which Black Americans have been assimilated into a new but no less harmful racial narrative.

Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien (No Regret)

Through music, poetry, and courageous self-disclosure, five HIV-positive gay Black men (among them poet and performance artist Assotto Saint) discuss their individual confrontations with AIDS, illuminating their journeys through the fear, shame, and stigma that accompanied the disease at the height of the epidemic toward healing, acceptance, and truth. In Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien (No Regret), director Marlon Riggs tells stories of self-transformation in which a once unmentionable "affliction" is forged into a tool of personal and communal empowerment.

Black Is...Black Ain't

Made with an urgency imparted by the knowledge that he was nearing the end of his life, Marlon Riggs's final film—completed after his death of AIDS by a group of his devoted collaborators—is a wide-ranging consideration of a question that had long been central to his work: What does it mean to be Black? Using his mother's gumbo recipe as a metaphor for the diversity of the African American experience, Riggs travels the country, seeking insights from leading thinkers like Angela Davis, Henry Louis Gates Jr., bell hooks, and Barbara Smith as well as ordinary people—young and old, rich and poor, rural and urban, gay and straight—all grappling with the numerous, often contested definitions of Blackness that have shaped their lives. Punctuated by footage of a dying Riggs directing his crew and delivering parting wisdom from his hospital bed, Black Is...Black Ain't breaks down the divides of class, colorism, patriarchy, and homophobia as it issues a stirring appeal for unity.

Glowingwabbit

Re: 1082 The Signifyin’ Works of Marlon Riggs

#2 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:37 pm

I'm excited about this one. It didn't seem like Criterion had been doing releases like this anymore.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:40 pm

Honestly, so far the label being publicly shamed is working out well for the consumer with all these unexpected detours from their norm

Big Ben

#4 Post by Big Ben » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:45 pm

Wasn't there an issue with Tongues Untied from another label? BFI? As such I'm under the impression that this release is a big deal.

Glowingwabbit

#5 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:47 pm

I assume Ashley Clark being hired has played a roll.

Ribs

#6 Post by Ribs » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:54 pm

Big Ben wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:45 pm
Wasn't there an issue with Tongues Untied from another label? BFI? As such I'm under the impression that this release is a big deal.
I believe the issue was this release nabbing the world rights to it.

CSM126

#7 Post by CSM126 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:09 pm

I guess this is the part where I get hailed and/or vilified.

This will be a blind buy for me and I’m excited. Riggs sounds like a fascinating filmmaker and this set looks to have some excellent supplements to enhance watching the films.

senseabove

#8 Post by senseabove » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:19 pm

Yes, BFI announced a release, delayed it by several months, then canceled it altogether. Notably, though, that release did not have the media history documentaries.

I'm incredibly pleased this is happening, as I'd daydreamed that a complete filmography coming from Criterion was the reason the UK release got canceled. I'm also pleased to see they did include the Karen Everett documentary about Riggs, I Shall Not Be Removed.

knives

#9 Post by knives » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:25 pm

This unquestionably be the best release from anyone this year. These films are that good.

What A Disgrace

#11 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed May 26, 2021 12:05 pm

I'm so glad this is real.

CSM126

#12 Post by CSM126 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:58 pm

I watched disc one over the past few days and… god, I’m nowhere near prepared or qualified to analyze or criticize anything here. Extraordinary films all around. I can already tell that I’ll be revisiting these for the rest of my life and that I’ll never be done discovering nuances, details… inflections and physical tics that say everything. What an amazing artist Mr. Riggs was. Holy shit.

The extras are fantastic so far too. Criterion called in some excellent speakers here and every piece is fascinating. This is one of those “film school in a box” editions that makes Criterion who they are.

therewillbeblus

#13 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:32 pm

I've only made my way through the first disc of this set and it's expectedly terrific. However I wasn't expecting to find the shortest film, Riggs' eight-minute Anthem, to be the most striking and powerful. I love how he uses African beats in a hip-hop rhythm of editing, while subverting the lyricism of hip hop towards vulnerability, specifically targeting solidarity around AIDS, to essentially reinvent a new form of authentic masculinity through exposing the traditional vocalizations (particularly those criticizing societally-effeminate expressions and reinforcing homophobia) as superficially-defensive and hollow. Riggs' film is like a long music video/essay film combo that renders the aggressive perpetrators of harm against his own identity impotent via comparison of his accomplishment, embracing a deeper core of shameless experiential transparency within a genre of music implemented to do the same by creatively fortifying the ethos of the movement in new language.

knives

#14 Post by knives » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:08 pm

Finally finished this amazing and essential set of one of the greatest filmmakers of all time. I am so happy to have finally seen No Regret which is emotionally overwhelming in just the right sort of way. Obviously I know how aids was an important part of his work, but the revelation of the extras is how radically his diagnosis effected Riggs into the direction he did with Tongues Untied, maybe the greatest thesis of intersectionality, for example being molded by the revelation of his own mortality.

Going on for twelve years I had hoped Criterion would release any Riggs and was disappointed that Ethnic Notions wasn’t included in Bamboozled as a possible rejection of this giant, so I’ll always hold as precious this set.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#15 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:20 pm

Sort of incredible that the sense of urgency imposed by the HIV diagnosis was in force from only his second film of the seven he made (not counting his graduate thesis, which is worthwhile in its own right)

knives

Re: 1082 The Signifyin' Works of Marlon Riggs

#16 Post by knives » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:51 pm

It really is. For some mad reason I had thought he wasn’t diagnosed until after Color Adjustment.

zedz

#17 Post by zedz » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:16 pm

I have to echo all the praise. It was great to see Tongues Untied and Black Is. . . Black Ain’t again, but all of the films are superb. Color Adjustment is his straightest film, but it’s an exemplary essay film that’s smart as a whip. Superb extras on this set, too.

knives

#18 Post by knives » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:24 am

It’s crazy how influential Color Adjustment is too. I don’t know exactly how many plagiarized distaff versions I’ve seen, but it’s been a lot.

CriterionPhreak

#19 Post by CriterionPhreak » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:40 pm

It took me a while to find out what Criterion means by Ethnic Notions being an "Emmy-winning documentary." After much research, I found out that the film won a "News and Documentary Emmy" in 1989. Since sites like IMDb usually only mention prime-time Emmys and other major awards, this win is not mentioned in any of those sites. "Ethnic Notions" won for "Outstanding Individual Achievement in a Craft: Research" in 1989, and here is the only info I can find on the Internet about it: http://awardsandwinners.com/category/ne ... ward/1989/

I first saw the programs in this set when they first aired on PBS in the 1980s and 90s, and they were very impactful in an era with no Internet and near-zero exposure to this kind of subject matters for anyone who didn't have first-hand knowledge and experience with these subject matters. I recorded them on TV, thinking they might never be seen again. That era had tons of works like these, and PBS aired them weekly in their documentary series: Independent Focus, POV, etc. Many were about controversial (or then-taboo) subjects like sex, drugs, abuse, gender, race, etc. There were more G-rated subject matters as well, such as strained family relationships, etc. If Criterion were to tap into these, there could be endless material.