1172 Two Films by Marguerite Duras

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
yoloswegmaster

Re: 1172 Two Films by Marguerite Duras

#26 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:09 pm

The following extras have been added:

Newly discovered alternate English-language audio track, directed by Marguerite Duras

Program from 2020 on the making of India Song, featuring interviews with the cast and crew

Red Screamer

#27 Post by Red Screamer » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:18 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:09 pm
Program from 2020 on the making of India Song, featuring interviews with the cast and crew
I assume this is the same one on the French disc, a nice addition.
Newly discovered alternate English-language audio track, directed by Marguerite Duras
But this is exciting! Given the importance of sound and text in Duras, this would really make the film a different experience.

yoloswegmaster

#28 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:26 pm

Red Screamer wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:18 pm
But this is exciting! Given the importance of sound and text in Duras, this would really make the film a different experience.
Do you know if this has shown up on any of the other releases?

Red Screamer

#29 Post by Red Screamer » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:55 pm

I don't know, it's not on the French blu. A brief internet search isn't bringing up much of anything about an English version of India Song (which is the film I assume the extra's referring to).

otis

#30 Post by otis » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:47 am

dave1

#31 Post by dave1 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:19 am

I'm assuming India Song here is just like the French blu, with a daytime shot during the nighttime section of the film
SpoilerShow
and a fade to black on one of the last shots
SpoilerShow
, outside of Technicolor's usual yellow push (admittedly, different from other labs).

Red Screamer

#32 Post by Red Screamer » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:41 am

Can anyone who's picked up the release give some more information on the English version of India Song? The performers, quality of translation/performance, differences with the original soundtrack, and so on.

therewillbeblus

#33 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:09 am

zedz wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:14 pm
This release is really crying out for some academic extras. India Song is an iconic feminist film as well as a formal Pandora's Box. So many things to say about this film, and so many people to say it.
Yes, this is such a rich film - one that I don’t feel comfortable beginning to unpack myself, but absolutely crave academic supplements to help me better appreciate it; a real shame Criterion skimped on creating even a subpar critical compendium. A novelistic experimental film like this feels like it should inherently invite complex, conflicting ideas and responses, but its esoteric tightrope-walk is tough to pull off without alienating its audience. Also, this also feels like an excellent version of what Peter Greenaway went on to try to do with aesthetics during at least part of his career.. but I also don’t feel stimulated by whatever Greenaway is doing with that, so maybe this impression deserves a side-eye emoji

knives

#34 Post by knives » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:20 pm

Jumping a bit in for the desire on some exploratory extras. India Song as an experience was quite delightful, but I at first mistook it as more inline with Hiroshima, Mon Amour and was thrown off by all the French descended people in a movie I thought was about an ethnically Laotian refugee. Instead it reminded me of Reflections in a Golden Eye.

olmo

#35 Post by olmo » Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:49 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:09 am
zedz wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:14 pm
This release is really crying out for some academic extras. India Song is an iconic feminist film as well as a formal Pandora's Box. So many things to say about this film, and so many people to say it.
Yes, this is such a rich film - one that I don’t feel comfortable beginning to unpack myself, but absolutely crave academic supplements to help me better appreciate it; a real shame Criterion skimped on creating even a subpar critical compendium. A novelistic experimental film like this feels like it should inherently invite complex, conflicting ideas and responses, but its esoteric tightrope-walk is tough to pull off without alienating its audience. Also, this also feels like an excellent version of what Peter Greenaway went on to try to do with aesthetics during at least part of his career.. but I also don’t feel stimulated by whatever Greenaway is doing with that, so maybe this impression deserves a side-eye emoji
For me it invoked Jancsó's Electra, My Love with the extended long takes and the disembodied voices of narration.

Like the character's communication via telepathy.

knives

#36 Post by knives » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:30 pm

Baxter wasn’t as ecstatic an experience for me in part because it is so much more obscure. I think I finally got
The handle in the last forty minutes, but the beginning really only drew me in through the score which should have been terrible, but I found weirdly hypnotic.