480 The Human Condition

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Murdoch

Re: 480 The Human Condition

#76 Post by Murdoch » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:19 pm

aox

#77 Post by aox » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:07 pm

so, the release delay wasn't to incorporate the newly discovered stereo tracks of the first two films?

nor obviously to announce these as blu. ](*,)

cdnchris
Site Admin

#78 Post by cdnchris » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:32 pm

I thought the delay was because they had discovered the tracks for the last film. I don't remember a mention of the first parts.

Saturnome

#79 Post by Saturnome » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:44 pm

Stop the presses! Human Condition parts 5 & 6 stereo tracks discovered! Street date moves to 9/8/09
From Criterion Twitter. Nothing about the previous parts.

aox

#80 Post by aox » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:00 am

My complete mistake. Sorry about that. :oops:

htdm

#81 Post by htdm » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:42 am

HTF - the reviewer didn't seem that impressed with the soundtracks.

Matango

#82 Post by Matango » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:51 am

htdm wrote:HTF - the reviewer didn't seem that impressed with the soundtracks.
But he says it's 'imminently watchable'. So I shall be watching. Imminently.

the mad circle

#83 Post by the mad circle » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:03 am

The soundtracks were quite tinny when I saw the films at SIFF cinema last year, which I assumed was the theater's fault, but it didn't take away too much from the show. I found it a profoundly moving experience. I can't wait for the box to arrive so I can revisit!

cdnchris
Site Admin

#85 Post by cdnchris » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:48 pm

htdm wrote:HTF - the reviewer didn't seem that impressed with the soundtracks.
They're not that bad. The mono tracks are average, a little flat, but the surround track for the last film is a little sharper and the stereo effects are quite good (the surrounds only have some subtle effects.) He's right about the voices, though. When I was watching it it did sound a little odd at first and it took me a second to realize what the track was doing, which was spreading the voices between all three front speakers. It's a little odd at first but it becomes unnoticeable after a bit.

I had only seen the first film before and now after seeing just about the whole thing (I still have an hour to go) I must say that the film would make for a great drinking game, where one would take a shot every time someone gets slapped. Even if you make it through the first film you'll be toast 10-15 minutes into the second film.

sidehacker

#86 Post by sidehacker » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:17 pm

I must say that the film would make for a great drinking game, where one would take a shot every time someone gets slapped. Even if you make it through the first film you'll be toast 10-15 minutes into the second film.
That doesn't make the film sound too promising. I already feel like I'm making an exception for this film (since I don't like Kobayashi too much to begin with) so reading that it's apparently bleakly melodramatic, which is what I gathered from the slapping, is a bit disheartening. I guess I'm still looking forward to this, but I am a bit apprehensive.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#87 Post by cdnchris » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:47 pm

T99

#88 Post by T99 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:44 am

Question for Europeans: What internet shop is the best one to buy The Human Condition (or other Criterion boxsets)? I want to avoid customs taxes, so the shop had to be in a EU country.

mikkelmark

#89 Post by mikkelmark » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:38 am

T99 wrote:Question for Europeans: What internet shop is the best one to buy The Human Condition (or other Criterion boxsets)? I want to avoid customs taxes, so the shop had to be in a EU country.
axelmusic

Matango

#90 Post by Matango » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:47 am

As a serious admirer of Japanese cinema, owning more than 200 Japanese DVDs and with more than a dozen Japanese stamps in my passport (I mention this just for context to illustrate my interest in the country and its culture), I really must say, having spent the weekend with the new CC package, that The Human Condition is the most overrated Japanese film that I have ever seen. What was said in ten hours could have been said in two. Tiresome, tedious, melodramatic and poorly acted.

HerrSchreck

#91 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:41 am

LairdWilcox wrote:I think The Human Condition should have at least one commentary tract and I'm disappointed that it doesn't. Had I realized this I probably wouldn't have ordered it. My mistake for not reading more carefully. Seven Samurai's two tracks are excellent and it adds emmensely to the movie, along with the other extras. Mainly, I buy Criterion for the extras which are usually well worth it. I sometimes wish they'd listen to their customers more.
Do you realize how extraordinarily difficult it would be for a person to talk continuously for that many hours about a single work of art... a single work of many parts notwithstanding. Seven Samurai isn't an apt comparison as it's quite a bit shorter, and the influence, legend, and set-pieces of that film all make it quite do-able in the commentary dept.

Finch

#92 Post by Finch » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:48 pm

LairdWilcox wrote:I think The Human Condition should have at least one commentary tract and I'm disappointed that it doesn't. Had I realized this I probably wouldn't have ordered it.
Why are a handful of people always screaming murder when a DVD doesn't come with an audio commentary? Fair enough if you prefer this over a documentary or a video essay like Tag Gallagher's on Second Sight's Max Ophuls' releases, but to regret ordering The Human Condition because Criterion decided not to record a commentary? Doesn't it matter that the film is finally released in the currently best possible condition (barring a 1080p Blu-Ray upgrade?), considering also how long Criterion have planned to release this, and that it's been one of the most anticipated releases not just of this year but in Criterion's history? If you can find a critic/scholars who has got enough interesting things to say for up to 10 hours straight, let us know. Even if Criterion had approached three of them to cover a part each, it is rather unlikely that there would not have been some overlap.

Mark Metcalf

#93 Post by Mark Metcalf » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:07 pm

"at least one commentary track". So that implies more than one commentary track. On HUMAN CONDITION?

Gregory

#94 Post by Gregory » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:49 pm

The commentator could have filled the hours by spacing out the words to a rate of about one word every four seconds, just like John Cage did with the shortest written pieces used in Indeterminacy.

Nothing

#95 Post by Nothing » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:27 am

Matango wrote:The Human Condition is the most overrated Japanese film that I have ever seen. What was said in ten hours could have been said in two. Tiresome, tedious, melodramatic and poorly acted.
=D>

Crocky

#96 Post by Crocky » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:21 am

Matango wrote:The Human Condition is the most overrated Japanese film
It is clear that you dislike "The Human Condition" but how can it be overrated ? How can a film be over or under rated? :roll:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#97 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:42 am

Uh, a film can be highly rated by many without justification, and conversely, a film can also be poorly rated by many without justification. Thus, a film can be overrated or underrated based on how an individual perceives its success or failure. You can roll your eyes all you want, but unless this is your second day on this planet we call Earth, there's no excuse for acting like these are new concepts

Fiery Angel

#98 Post by Fiery Angel » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:48 am

Nothing wrote:
Matango wrote:The Human Condition is the most overrated Japanese film that I have ever seen. What was said in ten hours could have been said in two. Tiresome, tedious, melodramatic and poorly acted.
I used to think this was one of the best films I've ever seen, but these two reasoned and well thought-out critiques have convinced me otherwise.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#99 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:50 am

I love how the people who get mad over glib negative statements never complain about the glib positive ones

Fiery Angel

#100 Post by Fiery Angel » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:51 am

Speak for yourself.