421 Pierrot le fou

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
yoloswegmaster

Re: 421 Pierrot le fou

#401 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:32 pm

Blutarsky wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:30 pm
- In The Mood for Love (Ritrovatad and ruined by Wai)
ITMFL was not colored timed by Ritrovata, it was color-timed by One Cool and supervised by WKW.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#402 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:35 pm

Summer Interlude in the Bergman set is also different and better.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#403 Post by swo17 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:51 pm

Blutarsky wrote:
Wai
His family name is Wong, but actually I support your revisionism in this instance
yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:32 pm
Blutarsky wrote:
- In The Mood for Love (Ritrovatad and ruined by Wai)
ITMFL was not colored timed by Ritrovata, it was color-timed by One Cool and supervised by WKW.
Like Xerox or Kleenex, "Ritrovatad" can apply to anyone's work

Mr Sausage

#404 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:07 pm

swo17 wrote:
Blutarsky wrote:
Wai
His family name is Wong, but actually I support your revisionism in this instance
Just as long as we don’t start saying Pierrot le fou was directed by Luc.

omegadirective

#405 Post by omegadirective » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:16 pm

So other than the two I mentioned, all the others upgrades are in those box sets?
The reason i ask is that I was an avid collector of criterion until 2011, and then I just couldnt keep up. (I stopped at spine 648, but had everything up until there)
I had neither the time nor the finances to invest in the hobby.
But, now that my kids are older, Im getting back into collecting these films.
I went back through what had been released in the last 10 years and would have completely passed over Pierre Le Fou and Montery Pop as I already had them on blu.
I only realized there were upgraded transfers of these because of the "How Brown Now" thread.

Ill eventually buy the WKW/Bergman/Varda sets, but will first try and get caught up on the numbered spines.

omegadirective

#406 Post by omegadirective » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:18 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:07 pm
swo17 wrote:
Blutarsky wrote:
Wai
Just as long as we don’t start saying Pierrot le fou was directed by Luc.
The Star Trek Fan in me sometimes says its directed by Jean-Luc Picard.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#407 Post by swo17 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:26 pm

Pierrot le fou isn't necessarily an upgrade. They just got the rights back and reissued it with a different transfer

trobrianders

#408 Post by trobrianders » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:33 pm

skilar wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:53 pm
Sounds like there will be a second pressing that restores the green tint to the Fuller shot. Guess the version on the Channel already has it.
So it sounds then that it was simply an oversight on Criterion's part not to include the tinted scenes they'd already consulted Coutard about for their 2009 release? Also Kseniya in her message refers only to the green Fuller scene being reinstated, presumably because it was this scene that was originally raised with her, but there were other scenes with other tints. What about them? Presumably the new disc will restore all the scenes? And are Criterion really reinstating the tints to the Studiocanal transfer or are they simply re-releasing their 2009 release where the work of adding tints supervised by Coutard is already done?

dwk

#409 Post by dwk » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:37 pm

Replacement copies of the second release are now available
We are now offering replacement Blu-ray discs for PIERROT LE FOU copies that were purchased after our 2020 release. The replacement discs have the reinstated green scene and can be distinguished from the earlier ones with the "Second Pressing" printed on the disc. No replacement DVDs are available, only Blu-ray. The packaging for the release is also not being replaced; only the disc.

In order to receive yours, please get back to us with your shipping address and a photo of your name and the date written on the front / art side of your current disc in sharpie, paint marker, or white out.

Once we have this, your new disc will ship to you in the coming 1-2 weeks (if not sooner). You'll receive tracking from our Pitney Bowes shipping system as soon as it's on the way.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and we'll look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best,
Kseniya

Rupert Pupkin

#410 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:53 pm

dwk wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:37 pm
Replacement copies of the second release are now available
We are now offering replacement Blu-ray discs for PIERROT LE FOU copies that were purchased after our 2020 release. The replacement discs have the reinstated green scene and can be distinguished from the earlier ones with the "Second Pressing" printed on the disc. No replacement DVDs are available, only Blu-ray. The packaging for the release is also not being replaced; only the disc.

In order to receive yours, please get back to us with your shipping address and a photo of your name and the date written on the front / art side of your current disc in sharpie, paint marker, or white out.

Once we have this, your new disc will ship to you in the coming 1-2 weeks (if not sooner). You'll receive tracking from our Pitney Bowes shipping system as soon as it's on the way.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and we'll look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best,
Kseniya
Just to be sure if I understand what will be the new Blu-Ray "Pierrot Le Fou".
I have the first pressing on blu-ray (thus the restoration and transfer was not the same), and the cover/artwork was different- but this disk, depending on which plant it has been pressed can be subject to bronzing and other saloperies.

Now, I was kind of interested by the re-release of "Pierrot Le Fou" since blu-ray.com test and here say that the picture quality was slightly more detailed, but the color grading was somehow different. Whilst not as greenish and yellowish as some French restoration. I did notice that the green scene has changed to say the least.
So, basically : is it still the new restoration (thus, different than the first blu-ray of "Pierrot Le Fou" with the green tint scene inserted) or did they go back to the first master of their first Pierrot Le Fou blu-ray release ? :-k

dwk

#411 Post by dwk » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:00 am

I assume it is the newer transfer from the second release with the the Fuller scene's green tint added. But, until someone gets a copy of the new disc, who knows for certain.

omegadirective

#412 Post by omegadirective » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:39 pm

"Our replacements for the replacement that replaced the replacement of the replacement for the upgrade are now available."

Penti Mento

#413 Post by Penti Mento » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:22 pm

Appropriate that the replacement program for a Godard film is as "post-modern" as a Godard film.

Great film, terrible replacement program.