542 Antichrist

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Re: 542 Antichrist

#426 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:45 pm

Honestly, probably best to just try to see it with as little foreknowledge as possible; if you’re intrigued enough to read up on it afterwards, you’ll find plenty to dig into, but little that you’d need beforehand, I think.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#427 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:04 am

I think so long as you aren’t planning on watching this one with your ‘rents, you’re probably fine going in cold

therewillbeblus

#428 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:14 am

*or your partner... I've been continually propositioned to watch this for a date night lately (by someone who likes fucked-up horror and is eager to watch) but that's not gonna put anyone in a good mood for anything. I had an unexpected physiological response after my first viewing, though I adore the film and have watched it at least a handful of times since

colinr0380

#429 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:05 am

The other main thing to probably be aware of is Von Trier's love of Dreyer and Tarkovsky which has always been there (especially in his early hyper-stylised Europe trilogy or suffering 'heroines' of his Dogme films and Dogville/Manderlay) but really becomes impossible to ignore in the films from Antichrist onwards.

Also the theme of people manufacturing (or bringing into being through intense desire for it to be so) their own downfalls in some ways, along with the general character of flawed intellectuals in the face of primal, inexplicable forces of nature and/or Acts of God. Which is still sort of in the Dreyer or Tarkovsky vein too.

Big Ben

#430 Post by Big Ben » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:37 am

Antichrist is one of those films that if you put ten people in a room who have seen it and ask for their opinion you'll get ten different answers. Some of my favorite memories ever are when this film came out and people went absolutely apeshit over it.

That being said I think it's a really horrifying if ghoulish depiction of depression and grief.

omegadirective

#431 Post by omegadirective » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:38 am

This movie is amazing, and a complete masterpiece.
However, I don't think I will ever be able to watch it again.

knives

#432 Post by knives » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:40 pm

Honesty, best advice is to probably watch something else first. It’s such a tonal oddity that some context might help.