Kino

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

Re: Kino

#3301 Post by soundchaser » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:20 pm

No 3-D Blu-Ray, though? Feels odd to be releasing Jacobs’s work bereft of a huge part of its identity.

Glowingwabbit

#3302 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:23 pm

They already released two films by his son (including one that he appears in) so I wonder if discussions for this happened at the same time.

What A Disgrace

#3303 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:24 pm

How many volumes will they release before we finally get Star Spangled To Death? Probably my most sought after film of the 2000s.

JSC

#3304 Post by JSC » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:14 pm

Kino is putting out Gordon Parks final film Moments Without Proper Names (1987). Will
also include a short film from 1964, Flavio.

criterionsnob

#3305 Post by criterionsnob » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:35 pm

Poison is now streaming on Criterion Channel, and it has the same 4:3 stretching issues as noted above. It's the same on Kanopy. Such a shame. I'm not holding much hope Kino have fixed this for the Blu-ray.

hearthesilence

#3306 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:57 pm

criterionsnob wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:35 pm
Poison is now streaming on Criterion Channel, and it has the same 4:3 stretching issues as noted above. It's the same on Kanopy. Such a shame. I'm not holding much hope Kino have fixed this for the Blu-ray.
Jesus, I actually ordered this over the weekend without knowing about these issues.

According to their site, Haynes recorded a new intro and Dennis Lim wrote some new liner notes - I'm hoping that somehow translates into one of them getting an early peek and hopefully catching it if it is indeed stretched.

senseabove

#3307 Post by senseabove » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:25 pm

Are the problems clearly described anywhere? It can't hurt to mention it in one of the KL threads on the the br.com/HTF forums...

criterionsnob

#3308 Post by criterionsnob » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:17 pm

My memory on this was fuzzy, but I just remembered I had emailed Zeitgeist about the stretching on the Poison DVD back in 2011. I dug up the email. This was their response back then, so perhaps there really is nothing that could be done, other than maybe reverse Wong Kar Wai-ing it back to 4:3.
The story with the mockumentary sections is this: the film was shot in 16mm, with all the name/place IDs sitting pretty close to title-safe on the image. When the film was blown up to 35mm and matted to 1.85 for its theatrical presentation, the title safe situation was exacerbated.

Since the best available film element from which to transfer from was the 35mm internegative (all 16mm sources having gone missing long ago), we had to deal with the choice of either cutting off a lot text in those sections, or slightly tilting the frame (hence the stretching) to get as much of it on screen as possible. We chose the later, and while it wasn't a perfect solution, it was, on balance, the best one.
I still wonder though if Haynes was involved in this decision. I don't recall it being an issue on the original VHS copy I watched many times in the late 90s.

hearthesilence

#3309 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:38 pm

Couldn't they have shrunk the image they got from the 35mm internegative and "framed" a non-stretched presentation with the least-distracting border possible (all white or all black)? Or am I misinterpreting the issue (that is, shrinking it wouldn't be a fix)?

CSM126

#3310 Post by CSM126 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:17 pm

Maybe I’m an idiot but I fail to see why they “have” to stretch the image of all the information is already there. Sounds like matting to 1.85 is the issue and, I dunno, maybe don’t do that?

hearthesilence

#3311 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:29 pm

I'm guessing the matted picture is their only "good" option unless they find those lost full-frame 16mm elements, but again, why would you need to stretch it? It makes less sense the more I think about it because if something's not title safe, wouldn't you want to contract the image rather than expand it?

JSC

#3312 Post by JSC » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:08 pm

Bertrand Tavernier's The Clockmaker of St. Paul is being released August 24.

https://www.kinolorber.com/product/the- ... ul-blu-ray

JSC

#3313 Post by JSC » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:35 pm

Kino is releasing Moderato cantabile (Seven Days...Seven Nights) on Sept. 28.

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=28758

Never seen this, so I'm a bit curious considering some of the talent involved:
Directed by Peter Brook, based on a novel by Marguerite Duras. With Jeanne Moreau and Jean-Paul Belmondo.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3314 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:16 am

It’s very, very dull. A curio perhaps only notable these days for Moreau’s punny cameo in Godard’s Une femme est une femme due to both productions sharing Belmondo and the same cafe location for the day

_shadow_

#3315 Post by _shadow_ » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:09 am

criterionsnob wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:17 pm
My memory on this was fuzzy, but I just remembered I had emailed Zeitgeist about the stretching on the Poison DVD back in 2011. I dug up the email. This was their response back then, so perhaps there really is nothing that could be done, other than maybe reverse Wong Kar Wai-ing it back to 4:3.
The story with the mockumentary sections is this: the film was shot in 16mm, with all the name/place IDs sitting pretty close to title-safe on the image. When the film was blown up to 35mm and matted to 1.85 for its theatrical presentation, the title safe situation was exacerbated.

Since the best available film element from which to transfer from was the 35mm internegative (all 16mm sources having gone missing long ago), we had to deal with the choice of either cutting off a lot text in those sections, or slightly tilting the frame (hence the stretching) to get as much of it on screen as possible. We chose the later, and while it wasn't a perfect solution, it was, on balance, the best one.
I still wonder though if Haynes was involved in this decision. I don't recall it being an issue on the original VHS copy I watched many times in the late 90s.
The issue is not present on the first DVD release of the film. I'm not understanding the issue with the 35mm internegative - was it hard-matted? That is not typical, to my understanding, and would be even more bizarre in the context of a 16-mm sourced film with significant information outside the 1.85 area.

It's INCREDIBLY disappointing that it seems this will not be corrected for this release, and honestly, it's a deal-breaker for me buying it, when I would otherwise be pre-ordering.

rockysds

#3316 Post by rockysds » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:02 am

Kino Lorber has acquired the North American rights to the Amos Gitai Film Collection, comprising 22 films. Full Variety story.

“We could not be more proud to re-introduce his output in luminously restored versions for new acquaintance or rediscovery by North American audiences,” added Lorber.

Lorber will make the Amos Gitai Film Collection available to arthouses and Jewish film festivals immediately. The collection will also be released with new masters on DVD and Blu-ray, on Kino Lorber’s Kino Now TVOD platform plus other major TVOD and subscription services.

JSC

#3317 Post by JSC » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:20 pm

Kino is putting out Jean-Louis Trintignant's first film as director
Une journée bien remplie (A Full Day's Work) on Sept. 28.

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=28779

Has anyone seen this, or recommend it?

L.A.

#3318 Post by L.A. » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:05 am

hearthesilence

#3319 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:56 am

L.A. wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:05 am
Todd Haynes’ Poison @ Beaver
Looks like those scenes we discussed upthread will indeed remain stretched. Ugh.

"Some of the color TV 'tabloid' interviews are skewed (stretched) and I don't know if that was a function of the production but it does, appropriately, distinguish tonal shifts."

And it looks like they have one (maybe two) caps showing this as well. But the rest looks great!

ianthemovie

#3320 Post by ianthemovie » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:08 pm

That one screencap of the female therapist is really egregious. It reminds me of the botch job that was initially done on the Criterion Dressed to Kill and which was caught and fixed just in time. What a shame because the rest of the footage and the extras for this look and sound great. I'm really torn about whether or not to upgrade to this from my now 15-year-old Lorber DVD.

hearthesilence

#3321 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:14 pm

I don't have this at all, so I'm definitely getting it. I think this came up with The Harder They Come (a much better encode than Shout Factory's softened mush-job, but everyone looks like they have the mumps or kind of squat in long shot thanks to some unfortunate stretching), but I wish there was a way to install a VLC player-like app on one's TV, just to have the ability to stretch and squish things via the aspect ratio controls. Not ideal, but much better than nothing.

ianthemovie

#3322 Post by ianthemovie » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:34 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:14 pm
I wish there was a way to install a VLC player-like app on one's TV, just to have the ability to stretch and squish things via the aspect ratio controls. Not ideal, but much better than nothing.
My TV's "picture size" option actually does allow you to compress a widescreen image to 4:3. I wonder if that would work for Poison. (Sometimes toggling this results in the image getting squished too much in the opposite direction.)

criterionsnob

#3323 Post by criterionsnob » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:13 am

ianthemovie wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:08 pm
That one screencap of the female therapist is really egregious. It reminds me of the botch job that was initially done on the Criterion Dressed to Kill and which was caught and fixed just in time. What a shame because the rest of the footage and the extras for this look and sound great. I'm really torn about whether or not to upgrade to this from my now 15-year-old Lorber DVD.
I'm curious if the stretching was on the older Lorber DVD too?

_shadow_

#3324 Post by _shadow_ » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:48 am

An incredible disappointment, and just astounding that this would be considered acceptable.

The original DVD release of Poison did not have the stretching; it was full-frame. The stretching was instigated for the widescreen DVD special edition, and I feel like it was also present when it was screened at Cinefamily in Los Angeles.

Here's some more examples. Some shots seem to be less warped than others - e.g., the last screengrab seems a bit touched to me, though not at the level of the others.

Original DVD:

"Special" Edition DVD:

Original:

"Special":

Original:

"Special":

ianthemovie

#3325 Post by ianthemovie » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:21 am

That first shot of the teacher is the one that really rankles. I don't see how anyone could look at that and not notice that it looks terrible.

Now I'm curious to know what aspect ratio(s) this film was actually composed for. Was all of it shot for 4:3 or only the "Hero" scenes (with the other scenes shot for widescreen)? I could see Haynes playing with switching aspect ratios for each of the different stories. It's odd that, at least judging from the screengrabs, the distortion only seems to have affected "Hero."