The BBFC vs. UK Independent Labels

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
MichaelB

Re: The BBFC vs. UK Independent Labels

#301 Post by MichaelB » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:04 am

Thornycroft wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:00 am
The BBFC used to have a strict policy preventing different ratings of a work existing at the same time, but this appears to have been phased out sometime in the early-mid 2000s.
See my "economies of scale" point above. Prior to then, countries needed their own localised releases, as pre-DVD formats didn't allow for multiple languages, optional subtitles etc. But once those became feasible with DVDs, major studio rightsholders would try to cater for as many territories as possible via discs whose machine-readable side was identical, and so it was very much in their interest that that same version get passed by the BBFC.

And since the BBFC is 100% funded by the film industry in general and the mainstream film industry in particular, I daresay it wasn't hard to gently persuade them to change their policy. ("Nice classification board. Be a shame if someone were to break it, know what I mean?")

Orlac

#302 Post by Orlac » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:49 am

Strictly Censorship: The BBFC Gets A New President - https://reprobatepress.com/2022/09/28/s ... president/

Mr Sausage

#303 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:29 am

Kaplinsky has been quoted as saying “it’s crucial that children’s welfare is at the forefront of policy decision-making and this is central to the BBFC’s efforts in the Online Safety space. The challenges that young people face now in the UK are greater than ever before – and I am committed to giving voice to their needs”
I know this is one of those empty, boilerplate statements, but...greater than during the blitz?

It just makes me laugh.

colinr0380

#304 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:48 pm

Remember that the "Online Safety Bill" is due to be published imminently now that finally a new government is in place and the issues with the Royals have passed to let business recommence, and it is in everyone's interests (especially the BBFC's, who are angling for the job of policing internet content) to make this issue as large as possible. Although in the current climate they may have trouble getting their voices heard amongst the more pressing discussions about Russia, the energy crisis, general strikes, interest rates and the pound.

It looks as if Natasha Kaplinsky is the first female President of the organisation in its 110 year history too, as well as the first with proven dance moves! I quite liked the Daily Mail's headline for their article: "From Salsa To Censor"!

furbicide

#305 Post by furbicide » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:47 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:29 am
Kaplinsky has been quoted as saying “it’s crucial that children’s welfare is at the forefront of policy decision-making and this is central to the BBFC’s efforts in the Online Safety space. The challenges that young people face now in the UK are greater than ever before – and I am committed to giving voice to their needs”
So the guiding policy behind classification decisions is going to be, literally, "won't somebody please think of the children". Cool!