Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

#1876 Post by tenia » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:01 am

andyli wrote:Better not use tone-mapped image to judge contrast levels.
Absolutely. You can judge superficially obvious things (like, say, a Ritrovata'd grading) but they shouldn't be used for more precise comparisons.

JabbaTheSlut

#1877 Post by JabbaTheSlut » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:09 am

jsteffe wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:16 pm
Here is the Caps-a-Holic comparison between the StudioCanal Blu-ray and 4K UHD of Kurosawa's RAN, from the same restoration.

I'm not sure what to make of this. If I am seeing things correctly, the 4K is has slightly flatter contrast than the Blu-ray, though obviously it renders the grain and detail better. However, I am not sure how reliable the screencaps are for judging contrast since I assume they would involve mapping an HDR image down to standard dynamic range.

Has anyone seen the actual 4K UHD disc yet?
Yeah, low contrast as in samples, but it feels correct as the images are shot with long lenses and there is natural haze in the daytime shots. My only problem with the transfer was a little bit too digital looking red and desaturation of the rest of the image in one particular shot, Lord Hidetora exiting the castle after the attack. Otherwise a great transfer.

Calvin

#1878 Post by Calvin » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:44 pm

On October 18th, Canal will be releasing an 18-film strong Bertrand Tavernier Blu-Ray box set in France. It contains:

The Watchmaker of St. Paul
Let Joy Reign Supreme
The Judge and the Assassin
Spoiled Children
Death Watch
A Week's Vacation
Coup de torchon
A Sunday in the Country
Life and Nothing But
L.627
La guerre sans nom
The Bait
Captain Conan
It All Starts Today
Safe Conduct
Holy Lola
The Princess of Montpensier
The French Minister

Almost certainly without English subtitles, though I think Canal have UK if not pan-European rights to most of them so there isn't any good reason they couldn't add them on.

dwk

#1879 Post by dwk » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:37 am

The Howling UHD is due out on October 25th.

MichaelB

#1880 Post by MichaelB » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:53 am

Calvin wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:44 pm

On October 18th, Canal will be releasing an 18-film strong Bertrand Tavernier Blu-Ray box set in France. It contains:

The Watchmaker of St. Paul
Let Joy Reign Supreme
The Judge and the Assassin
Spoiled Children
Death Watch
A Week's Vacation
Coup de torchon
A Sunday in the Country
Life and Nothing But
L.627
La guerre sans nom
The Bait
Captain Conan
It All Starts Today
Safe Conduct
Holy Lola
The Princess of Montpensier
The French Minister

Almost certainly without English subtitles, though I think Canal have UK if not pan-European rights to most of them so there isn't any good reason they couldn't add them on.
Ooh, that's very tempting. And SRT subtitle files for most if not all of those will almost certainly be easily obtainable.

And the preorder price is €149.99, or a mere €8.33 per film.

GaryC

#1881 Post by GaryC » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:59 am

That certainly is very tempting, as it includes several I haven't seen before, and I've been wanting Blu-rays of Une semaine de vacances and Sunday in the Country for years. Understandable if there are no English subs (other than for Death Watch, which is in English) and I somehow doubt StudioCanal will release all of these in the UK, though they may spring for some of them.

MichaelB

#1882 Post by MichaelB » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:15 am

I've now tracked down SRT English subtitle files for all the features apart from the documentary La Guerre sans nom, which is pretty good going.

kekid

#1883 Post by kekid » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:27 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:15 am
I've now tracked down SRT English subtitle files for all the features apart from the documentary La Guerre sans nom, which is pretty good going.
I tried out the method described by Eddielarkin on my OPPO 205 and it worked flawlessly. So now the challenge is to find the best subtitle files for various films on the Tavernier box. I (and everyone interested in the Tavernier box) will be most grateful, Michael, if you could share the details of the sources for various subtitle files. Thank you.

MichaelB

#1884 Post by MichaelB » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:40 am

I’m not going to be able to answer that until I have the actual discs, because right now I don’t know the framerate (as a European release, it could be 23.976, 24 or 25fps) or the start point (as previous subs might have been created for versions with different distributor logos).

But I can at least definitely confirm the existence of subs for 17/18 films and will update when I know for certain that they fit.

kekid

#1885 Post by kekid » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:20 pm

Thank you, Michael. Would the subtitle files be different based on whether we get the Blu Ray version or the DVD version?

MichaelB

#1886 Post by MichaelB » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:34 pm

kekid wrote:Thank you, Michael. Would the subtitle files be different based on whether we get the Blu Ray version or the DVD version?
Depends on the framerate. A French DVD will almost certainly be 25fps, while a French BD will be either 23.976, 24 or 25fps. Given that it’s StudioCanal, I’d say the first of these is most likely, but I won’t know for certain until the discs arrive.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1887 Post by tenia » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:53 pm

Unfortunately, Studio Canal have done a few 1080i50 BDs, though they're rare and quite older releases, but one never know.

MichaelB

#1888 Post by MichaelB » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:59 pm

Which of course is why it's impossible to come up with a definitive answer until I get hold of physical copies.

Even once I've established the framerate, the start point may need adjusting depending on whether any distributor logos have been changed at the start.

kekid

#1889 Post by kekid » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:41 pm

Does anyone know if the Tavernier big box will have any subtitles?
The posting on Amazon.fr suggests that there are no subtitles.
This is important because the method of applying external subtitles on OPPO described by Eddielarkin works only if the DVD ot Blu Ray has at least one subtitle track.

MichaelB

#1890 Post by MichaelB » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:01 am

I’m assuming not.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1891 Post by tenia » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:29 am

There might be French SDH subs but I don't know anybody here knows it yet.

Adam X

#1892 Post by Adam X » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:20 pm

Guess I’ll be buying that old Lionsgate BD after all…
StudiocanalUK wrote:Our 30th anniversary editions [of Terminator 2] include the 2017 4K restoration overseen and approved by James Cameron.

bad future

#1893 Post by bad future » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:24 pm

I’ve seen hearsay that this restoration actually looked good before it was DNR’d to hell for 3d conversion for its theatrical release, and that perhaps Cameron, consumed as he is by the Avatar sequel production, approved both but doesn’t realize the latter ended up being used for the home release. Can’t even remember where I saw that so I wouldn’t base any purchases on it, but it sounds just plausible enough that I’m holding on to a little hope for a welcome surprise when reviews are out for the SC disc. (This scenario doesn’t fit with the concept of Cameron as an agent of fastidious quality control, but it is easy for me to imagine that the guy who still hasn’t had 28 hours to approve transfers for The Abyss and True Lies also hasn’t watched the T2 UHD release since he thought he was done with it.)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1894 Post by swo17 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:02 pm

I actually have the 3D Blu-ray, as I'd read somewhere that it wasn't inflicted with the same issues. I need to test it out at some point

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1895 Post by tenia » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:35 pm

It's the same. The whole thing has been messed up to death because someone somewhere thought it'd be better looking this way.
3D ? Titanic wasn't DNRed though.
Aliens ? It was willingly and still looks way better.
Cameron ? I doubt his notorious perfectionism would have let him pass on the color inconsistancies from shot to shot that ended up in the final restoration. He also specifically requested back then for the longer versions to be restored too but not here ?

I'm still quite certain this hasn't much to do with him and much more with Studio Canal.

Finch

#1896 Post by Finch » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:52 pm

Vera Drake is finally getting a Blu-Ray release as a standalone disc from StudioCanal UK on November 8 (and I believe as part of a larger Mike Leigh boxset in Germany). No specs announced as yet.

SC UK also have a Jacques Becker title, 1945's Falbalas.

Special Features and Technical Specs:

BRAND NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM
Falbalas, a family affair - Featurette
Fashion and clothing, Jean Paul Gaultier - Featurette
Interview with star Micheline Presle
Auditions

senseabove

#1897 Post by senseabove » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:17 am

Finch wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:52 pm
Hooray! Finally! I saw a DCP this over three years ago and loved it.

tolbs1010

#1898 Post by tolbs1010 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:57 pm

Very enthusiastic reviews of SC's 4k of The Servant. Looking forward to receiving my copy.

https://www.avforums.com/reviews/the-se ... view.19094

http://blueprintreview.co.uk/2021/09/th ... udiocanal/

Matt

Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

#1899 Post by Matt » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:32 pm

Finch wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:52 pm
Trying to find someone who will ship it to the US without charging more for shipping than for the disc itself
Last edited by Matt on Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finch

#1900 Post by Finch » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:08 pm

It might take a few weeks or even a month or two after street date but since I moved to the US, I've gotten Studio Canal UK titles from Marketplace Sellers that ship to the US for acceptable shipping charges. I've not yet bought SC titles this soon after the UK release date so I couldn't tell you how long the waiting time is.