Vinegar Syndrome et al.

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Glowingwabbit

Re: Vinegar Syndrome

#576 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:16 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:09 pm
Making a separate subsection for Vinegar Syndrome and their partner labels, with each label getting its own thread, doesn't seem completely outlandish considering all the partner labels they have.
I believe they are now at 20 partner labels. Some of them only have one release (or release infrequently) and VS aren't going to stop adding more and more labels. That would get out of hand especially since some partner labels aren't likely to get much attention on this forum.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Vinegar Syndrome

#577 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:50 pm

If and when discussion merits dedicated threads for the sublabels, they’ll be split off. For now, this thread will suffice

yoloswegmaster

Re: Vinegar Syndrome et al.

#578 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:00 pm

Surprised that this hasn't been mentioned but Dekanalog has the U.S rights to Hirokazu Koreeda's 'Air Doll'. They mention that there will be a theatrical tour this year but don't state when it will be released on home video.

Adam X

#579 Post by Adam X » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:28 am

Fingers crossed. It’s a wonderful film.

criterionsnob

#580 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:30 pm

Article on new partner label Canadian International Pictures. Can't wait to find out what the "three or four films" at the top of their list might be.

colinr0380

#581 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:01 pm

I would love to see Peter Mettler get some attention. Whilst working as Atom Egoyan's cinematographer for Egoyan's 80s work, Mettler was a writer and director in his own right. His 1989 film The Top of His Head is the big one, but I would love to see his debut film Scissere (or indeed his 1992 film Tectonic Plates) some time.

And I would love a Bruce McDonald 'road movie' boxset of Roadkill and Highway 61, Dance Me Outside and Hard Core Logo!

What A Disgrace

#582 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:49 pm

Morvern Callar and The Ernie Game were originally set for January releases, correct? They both seem to be delayed to February 22.

therewillbeblus

#583 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:54 pm

Are we sure that isn’t just the standard release that comes roughly a month post-LE street date? I was notified that my pre-ordered copy of Morvern Callar shipped yesterday (and I opted for the standard edition)

What A Disgrace

#584 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:07 pm

That could be the case; I'm unfamiliar with their release patterns, but my order hasn't shipped yet, and I noticed both of those (and Unknown Man of Shangidoor) are now listed as Feb 22 releases elsewhere, so I assumed that was why it hadn't shipped to me. Does it generally take them longer to ship out larger orders (I have six items in this order), or have I just drawn the short straw?

goblinfootballs

#585 Post by goblinfootballs » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:17 pm

I received my SE Morvern Callar two days ago.

bad future

#586 Post by bad future » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:45 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:07 pm
Does it generally take them longer to ship out larger orders (I have six items in this order), or have I just drawn the short straw?
For what it's worth, my order including Morvern Callar, another preorder (El Planeta) and two in-stock titles just shipped this morning, so if they are tackling smaller orders first, maybe they'll work their way up to you soon.

kneelzod

#587 Post by kneelzod » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:04 pm

Orders made directly from Vinegar Syndrome are shipping now. The February 22 release date refers to the standard street date (for all non-VS retailers). Those outlets will mostly be carrying the non-slipcover editions, whereas the slipcover and standard editions are available directly from VS.

Glowingwabbit

#588 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:35 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:07 pm
That could be the case; I'm unfamiliar with their release patterns, but my order hasn't shipped yet, and I noticed both of those (and Unknown Man of Shangidoor) are now listed as Feb 22 releases elsewhere, so I assumed that was why it hadn't shipped to me. Does it generally take them longer to ship out larger orders (I have six items in this order), or have I just drawn the short straw?
It might just be drawing the short straw although I suspect one of the partner label titles had a minor stocking delay. They have two place they ship from, Colorado and Connecticut. They start with subscriber orders first (it's one of the perks), but I saw non-subscribers getting stuff before me so I think one of the partner titles held mine up. Luckily I'm 3 hours away so it was basically next day delivery.

What A Disgrace

#589 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:28 pm

Indeed, it was the short straw. The whole package shipped minutes ago, from Connecticut.

criterionsnob

#590 Post by criterionsnob » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:20 pm

colinr0380

#591 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:03 pm

It was interesting to see that Fun City also released an edition of Radio On in the US. That and Morvern Callar would make for a great double bill.

Glowingwabbit

#592 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:07 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:03 pm
It was interesting to see that Fun City also released an edition of Radio On in the US. That and Morvern Callar would make for a great double bill.
They did I Start Counting too. Although I think the BFI disc has more extras. I'm happy enough with the FCE disc.

therewillbeblus

#593 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:00 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:07 pm
colinr0380 wrote:
They did I Start Counting too. Although I think the BFI disc has more extras. I'm happy enough with the FCE disc.
I love Fun City and want to support them as much as possible, but I opted for the BFI recently trusting those giving it the edge in its thread. It's an absolute masterpiece, arguably their best release (though Jeremy is right up there) and the only straight-British film on my 60s list. I haven't seen Radio On but that suggested double bill is intriguing me, colin! (I'm also curious about the order you'd watch them in)

Glowingwabbit

#594 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:36 pm

Speaking of FCE, they said to expect a new title announcement on Feb 1st.

Justin LaLiberty said there will be 1 new partner label in February. Also responded to someone joking about there being 8 partner releases in February by saying "More!"

Mr Sheldrake

#595 Post by Mr Sheldrake » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:48 pm

I recently got the Fun City Morvan Callar and had heard Radio On would make a good double bill. I didn’t purchase that one but it is playing on the Criterion Channel and I can confirm that they make an interesting match. Radio On is very Wim Wenderish, I think he gets a producer credit, and it features Lisa Kreutzer. Both movies are dependent on playlists, David Bowie doing both English and German language Heroes and there’s a good bit of Kraftwerk in Radio On, Sting turns up in a cameo as a gas station attendant.

Morven Callar I had seen before and it has lots of bits from a group called Can that I was unfamiliar with. Ramsey uses two pop 60s nostalgia tunes to great effect- Some Velvet Morning by Lee Hazlewood and Nancy Sinatra and This is Dedicated to the One I Love by The Mamas And the Papas. I prefer Morven Callar, Samantha Morton is sensational, as well as her sidekick, first time actress Kathleen McDermott. The Fun City includes an excellent commentary as well.

therewillbeblus

#596 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:57 pm

Mr Sheldrake wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:48 pm
The Fun City includes an excellent commentary as well.
That's good to hear- I don't always trust Beaver's reports on a release/supplement, since Gary seems to swoon over everything if he likes a film. I'll definitely try to give it a listen before The Non-Criterion Boutique Label Battle Royale "Family Edition": There Can Only Be (202)2

colinr0380

#597 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:48 pm

I saw Morvern Callar first (in its first, and so far only, UK television screening in the mid-2000s) and Radio On years later in its BFI edition. But I don't think it would matter which order you see them in since they complement each other thematically rather than one overriding the other narratively or aesthetically. They feel really similar in that they are both films about a main character being somewhat aimless and emotionally detached from their place in the world in the wake of a significant death, bequeathed with a present of an achingly hip mix tape of songs from the deceased and then left alone in this new world encountering various figures in their wanderings. They are so similar in fact that I wonder if Morvern Callar was influenced at all by it.

I wrote Radio On up in detail back when the BFI DVD was first released. Mr Sheldrake is correct that its very much Wenders influenced as well but filtered through the perspective of an island nation where there is not enough room for those romantic, epic, mythical road journeys across Europe or the United States that somewhat typify the work by that director. Because if you go too far in one direction you run the risk of driving off the edge of the country!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

kneelzod

#598 Post by kneelzod » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:35 pm

Thanks for supporting! As a still-fledgling one-person (me) label still looking to make our bones, I'll just add that we got I START COUNTING out of hock at MGM (after being told "no" several times), created the new digital master from the water-damaged IP (the only extant pre-print element), produced the Jenny Agutter interview, the audio commentary and the video essay. :D
therewillbeblus wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:00 pm
Glowingwabbit wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:07 pm
colinr0380 wrote:
I love Fun City and want to support them as much as possible, but I opted for the BFI recently trusting those giving it the edge in its thread. It's an absolute masterpiece, arguably their best release (though Jeremy is right up there) and the only straight-British film on my 60s list. I haven't seen Radio On but that suggested double bill is intriguing me, colin! (I'm also curious about the order you'd watch them in)

fdm

#599 Post by fdm » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:30 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:35 pm
They have two place they ship from, Colorado and Connecticut. They start with subscriber orders first (it's one of the perks), but I saw non-subscribers getting stuff before me so I think one of the partner titles held mine up. Luckily I'm 3 hours away so it was basically next day delivery.
I'm maybe an hour away, but the last time I placed a pre-order, when it finally "shipped" they used fedex smartpost. It was the holiday season, but still between being dropped off at their fedex location and getting delivered here it took 9 days… prior to that it took a week after it was "shipped" for it to get to fedex in the first place. And I paid $5 for that ridiculousness. I wonder how long the replacement disc will take to arrive, once it gets "shipped".

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#600 Post by swo17 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:47 pm

I received my replacement Flesh for Frankenstein disc. You can tell it's new because the UHD logo is now orange