Blue Underground

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Grand Wazoo

Re: Blue Underground

#426 Post by Grand Wazoo » Fri May 13, 2022 9:13 am

Venus in Furs would make a great candidate providing they still have the rights since they never even put out a blu of it

dwk

#427 Post by dwk » Fri May 13, 2022 11:44 am

Oh, I forgot, they also announced they are doing their first UHD of a black-and-white film. I think Quiet Days in Clichy is the only B&W title in their catalog, and I don't know if that is a big enough title to release on UHD or if it is a new acquisition.

Orlac

#428 Post by Orlac » Fri May 13, 2022 12:43 pm

Grand Wazoo wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 9:13 am
Venus in Furs would make a great candidate providing they still have the rights since they never even put out a blu of it
Heck, I wouldn't say no to a BD or 4k of SUCCUBUS.

therewillbeblus

#429 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri May 13, 2022 12:51 pm

I'm glad they upgraded the already-wonderful blu of God Told Me To to UHD (though I doubt I'll double dip at that price point), but I really hope they get around to more Larry Cohen titles. We need Bone already, even if it's not exactly a visually-thrilling UHD priority, but I'm not optimistic they'll ever get to it if they're doing UHDs-only these days

dwk

#430 Post by dwk » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:38 pm

dwk wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 11:44 am
Oh, I forgot, they also announced they are doing their first UHD of a black-and-white film. I think Quiet Days in Clichy is the only B&W title in their catalog, and I don't know if that is a big enough title to release on UHD or if it is a new acquisition.
BU just announced they are releasing Quiet Days in Clichy on UHD.

L.A.

#431 Post by L.A. » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:10 pm

L.A.

#432 Post by L.A. » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:04 pm

The controversial erotic classic QUIET DAYS IN CLICHY is coming to 4K UHD + Remastered Blu-ray (and separate DVD) on October 25, 2022...

Based on the Controversial Novel by Henry Miller & Featuring Original Music by Country Joe McDonald

Joey is a struggling writer with no money. His roommate Carl is a charming stud with a taste for young girls. Together, these two insatiable dreamers will laugh, love and screw their way through a decadent Paris paved with wanton women, wild orgies and outrageous erotic adventures. Based upon the long-banned novel by Henry Miller and featuring a hit soundtrack by rock legend Country Joe McDonald, QUIET DAYS IN CLICHY is considered to be the most daring film adaptation ever of one of the most controversial authors in history.

In May of 1970, the United States Government seized the only English-language prints of QUIET DAYS IN CLICHY on charges of obscenity. And while it was ultimately cleared in Federal Court, the film mysteriously disappeared shortly after its release. Now more than 50 years later, this landmark ‘adults only’ classic can be seen in a brand-new restoration, scanned in 4K 16-bit from its recently discovered uncut & uncensored original fine-grain negative, with Dolby Vision HDR and DTS-HD Master Audio!

• WORLD PREMIERE! New 4K 16-Bit Restoration from its recently located uncensored original fine-grain negative [all prior transfers were from a vintage 35mm theatrical print]
• Audio: English (1.0 DTS-HD MA)
• Subtitles: English SDH, Français, Español
• Region Free
• Limited Edition embossed (and uncensored!) slipcover featuring alternate new artwork [pictured below at right] + reversible sleeve with classic artwork (First Pressing Only!)

EXTRAS:
• Songs of Clichy – Interview with Country Joe McDonald
• Dirty Books, Dirty Movies: Barney Rosset on Henry Miller – Interview with Henry Miller’s editor and publisher Barney Rosset
• “Midnight Blue” Interview with Barney Rosset
• NEW! Deleted Scene (6 Mins.)
• NEW! Theatrical Trailer
• NEW! Poster & Still Gallery
• NEW! Book Cover Gallery
• NEW! Court Documents

Pre-Orders coming soon...

dwk

#433 Post by dwk » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:02 am

Blue Underground tweeted that they might be losing the rights to The Toolbox Murders. If you want a copy of the UHD, MVD currently has it on sale for $18.

L.A.

#434 Post by L.A. » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:16 pm

L.A. wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:04 pm
The controversial erotic classic QUIET DAYS IN CLICHY is coming to 4K UHD + Remastered Blu-ray (and separate DVD) on October 25, 2022...

Based on the Controversial Novel by Henry Miller & Featuring Original Music by Country Joe McDonald

Joey is a struggling writer with no money. His roommate Carl is a charming stud with a taste for young girls. Together, these two insatiable dreamers will laugh, love and screw their way through a decadent Paris paved with wanton women, wild orgies and outrageous erotic adventures. Based upon the long-banned novel by Henry Miller and featuring a hit soundtrack by rock legend Country Joe McDonald, QUIET DAYS IN CLICHY is considered to be the most daring film adaptation ever of one of the most controversial authors in history.

In May of 1970, the United States Government seized the only English-language prints of QUIET DAYS IN CLICHY on charges of obscenity. And while it was ultimately cleared in Federal Court, the film mysteriously disappeared shortly after its release. Now more than 50 years later, this landmark ‘adults only’ classic can be seen in a brand-new restoration, scanned in 4K 16-bit from its recently discovered uncut & uncensored original fine-grain negative, with Dolby Vision HDR and DTS-HD Master Audio!

• WORLD PREMIERE! New 4K 16-Bit Restoration from its recently located uncensored original fine-grain negative [all prior transfers were from a vintage 35mm theatrical print]
• Audio: English (1.0 DTS-HD MA)
• Subtitles: English SDH, Français, Español
• Region Free
• Limited Edition embossed (and uncensored!) slipcover featuring alternate new artwork [pictured below at right] + reversible sleeve with classic artwork (First Pressing Only!)

EXTRAS:
• Songs of Clichy – Interview with Country Joe McDonald
• Dirty Books, Dirty Movies: Barney Rosset on Henry Miller – Interview with Henry Miller’s editor and publisher Barney Rosset
• “Midnight Blue” Interview with Barney Rosset
• NEW! Deleted Scene (6 Mins.)
• NEW! Theatrical Trailer
• NEW! Poster & Still Gallery
• NEW! Book Cover Gallery
• NEW! Court Documents

Pre-Orders coming soon...
Mondo Digital.

dwk

#435 Post by dwk » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:57 pm

BU has announced they are releasing Jess Franco's Marquis de Sade's Justine on UHD.

M Sanderson

#436 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:16 am

A while back I did predict Justine as well as Eugenie. Bigger and more lavish productions perhaps more suited to 4k. Would be surprised if a Eugenie announcement wasn’t far behind,

yoloswegmaster

#437 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:50 pm

M Sanderson wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:16 am
A while back I did predict Justine as well as Eugenie. Bigger and more lavish productions perhaps more suited to 4k. Would be surprised if a Eugenie announcement wasn’t far behind,
You're right!

M Sanderson

#438 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:53 pm

Glad to see they’re both confirmed.

Buying both even though I never gave Justine a chance before.

Did Eugenia get two blu ray releases from BU, one flawed release and I’ve superior reissue?

Recall that Justine had in fact fared better on blu ray.

colinr0380

#439 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:11 am

Oooh, they're going with the classier UK title that maximises De Sade (and minimises the Jess Franco credit) instead of the US "Eugenie...the Story of Her Journey Into Perversion" one that was previously used! Or maybe it will be a slip cover?

Orlac

#440 Post by Orlac » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:34 am

M Sanderson wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:53 pm
Glad to see they’re both confirmed.

Buying both even though I never gave Justine a chance before.

Did Eugenia get two blu ray releases from BU, one flawed release and I’ve superior reissue?

Recall that Justine had in fact fared better on blu ray.
Eugenia is a different Franco film released by BU.

M Sanderson

#441 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:34 am

Absolutely Eugenie & Justine are two different films. (Eugenia, an unfortunate autocorrect from my side.)

I was querying whether Eugenie was released twice on Blu ray by BU? I’ve seen two release dates for the same title - maybe one was without the slip case.

It had been criticised for a poor encode of a great source, so my thought was whether or not they’d gone back to improve it.

To be honest, I loved the film and while I’m not a Blu ray reviewer, the main issue appeared to be Franco leaving shots out of focus (whether deliberate, accidental or from indifference).

Heard great things about the old Justine Blu ray.

dwk

#442 Post by dwk » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:00 pm

[sarcasm]Oh boy, more Franco UHDs[/sarcasm]. The Girl From Rio is getting a UHD from BU next year.

therewillbeblus

#443 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:18 pm

Meanwhile Bone is just chillin on DVD, while boutique labels ignore one of the boldest takes on black-white race relations in modern western civilization

black&huge

#444 Post by black&huge » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:30 am

dwk wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:00 pm
[sarcasm]Oh boy, more Franco UHDs[/sarcasm]. The Girl From Rio is getting a UHD from BU next year.
this is huge for me. Release of 2023 as far as I'm concerned.

dwk

#445 Post by dwk » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:30 pm

BU tweeted that they are going to release Deathdream on UHD.

Finch

#446 Post by Finch » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:24 pm

Breaking out into a happy dance!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#447 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:30 pm

Interesting. 101 Films just put out this cool-in-theory set but it's already two-thirds obsolete!

dwk

#448 Post by dwk » Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:30 am

Just watched a new interview with Bill Lustig and he said they are working on 4K UHDs of The Million Eyes of Sumuru and High Crime.

Aunt Peg

#449 Post by Aunt Peg » Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:52 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:18 pm
Meanwhile Bone is just chillin on DVD, while boutique labels ignore one of the boldest takes on black-white race relations in modern western civilization
Bone is very high on my Blu Ray wish-list. Larry Cohen's best film. I'm grateful to have the DVD from a hundred years ago but this film is screaming for a golden standard Blu Ray release.

dwk

#450 Post by dwk » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:30 pm

BU has announced their next UHD release, Jess Franco's Night of the Blood Monster (aka The Bloody Judge).