Vinegar Syndrome et al.

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
dwk

Re: Vinegar Syndrome et al.

#901 Post by dwk » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:37 am

VS' November titles:
ROAD HOUSE 4K UHD/BD (VSU, so it isn't part of the yearly subscription package.)
THE INVISIBLE MANIAC - 4K UHD/BD
HOME GROWN HORRORS VOL#2 - 3BD BOX (MOONSTALKER, DEAD GIRLS,  HANGING HEART)
BURNING PARADISE - BD
SECRET RELEASE #1 - 4K UHD/BD
SECRET RELEASE #2 - BD
About the 2 secret releases
...one of which is a big budget sleaze epic with an equally epic cast, and the other a delirious celebration of murder and mayhem that ranks amongst the more over the top entries in annals the 80s slashers

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#902 Post by tenia » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:29 am

"a deluxe 4K UHD special edition of what is hands down one of our most highly requested films ever: Adam Rifkin, or, "Rif Coogan’s" THE INVISIBLE MANIAC! This one should need no introduction."

I'm always amazed at this, because while it's great to have people dedicating that much time, energy and money to have these movies available, and of course this is their core area of work, how many people exactly actually don't need an introduction to The Invisible Maniac ?

yoloswegmaster

#903 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:48 am

I've seen people say that the mystery big budget sleaze epic title is Caligula.

agnamaracs

#904 Post by agnamaracs » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:48 am

How many other films fit that description?
As we’ve hopefully demonstrated in the past, we often save the weirdest and wildest films as surprises, and this upcoming set will be no different, including a film that has joined the ranks of legendary “how did this get made…with these people starring in it” exploitation epics, and the other, the crazy debut film from a director who clearly loved the Slasher and Giallo genres as much as we all do, resulting in an effortlessly entertaining slice of murderous perversity. You really can’t go wrong.

beamish14

#905 Post by beamish14 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:43 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:48 am
I've seen people say that the mystery big budget sleaze epic title is Caligula.

I was wondering what happened with E. Elias Merhige’s reconstruction/restoration of it

pzadvance

#906 Post by pzadvance » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:47 am

boy do i really not understand the way VS operates its sales. Nothing seems to actually be discounted? is it just that they made some new pre-orders available? If so, why do they disable free shipping thresholds during the sale? During a previous sale you couldn't even look up their main catalogue titles IIRC.It all feels so needlessly confusing.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#907 Post by cdnchris » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:37 pm

pzadvance wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:47 am
boy do i really not understand the way VS operates its sales. Nothing seems to actually be discounted? is it just that they made some new pre-orders available? If so, why do they disable free shipping thresholds during the sale? During a previous sale you couldn't even look up their main catalogue titles IIRC.It all feels so needlessly confusing.
Yeah, I don't get it either. What I do know is I'm going to pre-order Road House and regret it after watching it again for the first time in a decade or two.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#908 Post by swo17 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:41 pm

Any fans of the Ringo Lam film?

Glowingwabbit

#909 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:49 pm

Apparently they got so many emails that they've made everything available for pre-order. It always amazes me how confused people get when they are quite detailed in their explanation of how the flash pre-order sale works.
swo17 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:41 pm
Any fans of the Ringo Lam film?
I haven't seen it but quite a few people I follow are fans of this one. Should be a blast.

therewillbeblus

#910 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:03 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:37 pm
pzadvance wrote:
Yeah, I don't get it either. What I do know is I'm going to pre-order Road House and regret it after watching it again for the first time in a decade or two.
It's usually my go-to answer as the best B(C+?)-movie ever- I've seen it so many times, I doubt it'll suddenly get 'bad' bad

pianocrash

#911 Post by pianocrash » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:31 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:37 pm
pzadvance wrote:
I was skeptical a few months ago when another forum (the one that correctly guesses the VS secret films each & every time) mentioned Road House, then it ran on AMC for about a month long, so I caught it several times. Though I was in the same boat as you, I was pleasantly surprised how enjoyable it was, but I don't know if splurging for the 4K will be the indulge to take for me. I mean, I still haven't picked up Miami Connection, and that was like 5 months ago.

As for the VS sales, technically everything is always on sale, except for the Partners Only months, which serve to spotlight only those labels. The 50% off sales are twice a year (Black Friday will be the second and last of this year), and cover most of the catalog, excluding releases within the last 6 months. And, yes, there are a few other sales scattered in between, but those are the biggest ones.

Also, I'm a little surprised no one here has mentioned Mutant Hunt, which is a film that I feel like I dreamed into my teenage VHS reality at some point. To have it pristine with an Elizabeth Purchell commentary and on blu seems wild!

agnamaracs

#912 Post by agnamaracs » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:51 pm

The Flash Pre-Order isn't a sale. The sale is on Black Friday weekend. This is so you can pre-order Road House and/or the titles that will officially debut during the sale (two of which are blind buys). It's a hype-builder, and it seems to be working, if the reports of Thriller: A Cruel Picture halfway selling out are any indication.
pzadvance wrote:
During a previous sale you couldn't even look up their main catalogue titles IIRC.It all feels so needlessly confusing.
The months after the big sales are Partners Only months, where they spotlight their partner labels while they basically spend the whole month fulfilling orders.

jazzo

#913 Post by jazzo » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:58 pm

cdnchris wrote:
pzadvance wrote:
You won’t. My revisit was way more enjoyable than my memory of it.

pzadvance

#914 Post by pzadvance » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:00 am

agnamaracs wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:51 pm
The Flash Pre-Order isn't a sale. The sale is on Black Friday weekend. This is so you can pre-order Road House and/or the titles that will officially debut during the sale (two of which are blind buys). It's a hype-builder, and it seems to be working, if the reports of Thriller: A Cruel Picture halfway selling out are any indication.
pzadvance wrote:
During a previous sale you couldn't even look up their main catalogue titles IIRC.It all feels so needlessly confusing.
The months after the big sales are Partners Only months, where they spotlight their partner labels while they basically spend the whole month fulfilling orders.
Thank you. I guess the terms "Black Friday" and "Flash" instantly connoted "sale" in my mind, hence the confusion.

yoloswegmaster

#915 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:41 am

agnamaracs wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:48 am
As we’ve hopefully demonstrated in the past, we often save the weirdest and wildest films as surprises, and this upcoming set will be no different, including a film that has joined the ranks of legendary “how did this get made…with these people starring in it” exploitation epics, and the other, the crazy debut film from a director who clearly loved the Slasher and Giallo genres as much as we all do, resulting in an effortlessly entertaining slice of murderous perversity. You really can’t go wrong.
Justin LaLiberty liked a post on FB saying that it's not Caligula. My knowledge of sleazy and exploitative epics is very limited, so I got no idea what this mystery title is.

John Cope

#916 Post by John Cope » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:48 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:41 am
agnamaracs wrote:
Justin LaLiberty liked a post on FB saying that it's not Caligula. My knowledge of sleazy and exploitative epics is very limited, so I got no idea what this mystery title is.
Myra Breckenridge?

dwk

#917 Post by dwk » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:43 pm

That is a Fox title.

criterionsnob

#918 Post by criterionsnob » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:42 pm

New partner label titles of note announced:

Cutter's Way (Fun City Editions)
In the Soup (Factory 25)
Zerograd (Deaf Crocodile)
The Amityville Curse (Canadian International Pictures)
Vortex (Utopia)
Last edited by criterionsnob on Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glowingwabbit

#919 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:46 pm

criterionsnob wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:42 pm
New partner label titles of note announced:

Cutters Way (Fun City Editions)
In the Soup (Factory 25)
Zerograd (Deaf Crocodile)
The Amityville Curse (Canadian International Pictures)
Vortex (Utopia)
Also of note is the second Masashi Yamamoto release: What's Up Connection (Kani)

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#920 Post by Buttery Jeb » Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:52 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:41 am
agnamaracs wrote:
Maybe Candy? That sounds like it would fit the bill.

Finch

#921 Post by Finch » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:00 pm

That's another excellent line-up from the partner labels for October. Cutter's Way is stacked, and I'm happy to see In The Soup in there, too. Meanwhile, Vinegar Syndrome themselves announced a UHD of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 which, if VS's encode is good, looks to be definitive.

therewillbeblus

#922 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:11 pm

In the Soup is a fun little indie movie. Not all the script or filmmaking choices work to elevate the material into something special, but Seymour Cassel's performance is great, and that's all you really need when the central conceit is relaying absurdist social humor toward how this mystery man continuously and unpredictably affects Buscemi's naive shmoe

yoloswegmaster

#923 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:32 pm

agnamaracs

#924 Post by agnamaracs » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:00 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:44 pm
VS have started segregating any Partner Label releases that are properly going out of print, i.e. not just the LEs but the standard editions too:

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collections ... t-of-print
Looks like Terror Vision is next on the chopping block. So that's 14 titles now.

Terror Vision (all titles)
WNUF Halloween Special
Norway*
Killing Spree*
Love and Saucers
Video Violence**
Blood, Guts and Sunshine

Fun City (only some titles)
Walking the Edge
Primetime Panic**
Radio On*
Morvern Callar*
Bilitis*

Titles that are just limited and haven't sold out yet
Smut Without Smut: Satanic Horror Nite (by AGFA)
Heavy Metal Parking Lot (by Circle Collective)
Viva Erotica (by Kani)

*LE slipcase still available
**Was a limited edition to begin with

pianocrash

#925 Post by pianocrash » Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:27 pm

dwk wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:06 pm
EddieLarkin wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:46 am
It's interesting that they all say:

This Fun City Editions release will not be repressed by OCN Distribution and will be considered Out of Print once the remaining units are sold.

It may be that OCN Distro only had the rights to do the first pressing, and that future ones will be handled by others, meaning they may still be available through other stores?
Huh. I wonder if Fun City is changing distributors.
With the addition of Terror Vision to the OOP page, it would seem both are destined to find other distributors soon enough.

Joe Rubin has stated publicly in the past that VS will never release Clownhouse, but I hope these departures don't have something to do with a change in that mindset.

Fun fact about that terrible situation of a movie:
Impressed by Victor Salva's 1986 short film Something in the Basement, Francis Ford Coppola gave him $250,000 to make Clownhouse. To shoot the film, Coppola gave Salva the same cameras George Lucas had used to make American Graffiti (1973). The film was made, in part, at Coppola's home in Napa Valley.
American Zoetrope also produced Jeepers Creepers (2001), FWIW :shock: