Korean Film Archive

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
L.A.

Re: Korean Film Archive

#176 Post by L.A. » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:18 pm

L.A.

#177 Post by L.A. » Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:51 pm

L.A. wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:18 pm
Burning Mountain out now.
DVD Compare.

feihong

#178 Post by feihong » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:02 pm

Sorum is out. Has anybody seen this disc? I was wondering how it compared to the old Content Zone blu ray.

feihong

#179 Post by feihong » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:30 am

I'd never seen Chilsu and Mansu before tonight, and now I wished I hadn't slept on this disc before it went out-of-print. Holy cow, what a movie.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#180 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:38 am

>> Chilsu and Mansu

Definitely takes an unexpected veer mid-way through. PARK Kwang-su is one of those great (and influential) directors (within their national cinema at least) who has been pretty much overlooked internationally (like Japan's Somai). His early films were sort of the training ground for the next batch of slightly younger creators. Still waiting to see To the Starry Isle (if it got a subbed release of any sort, I missed it).

zedz

#181 Post by zedz » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:31 pm

Absolutely: Black Republic, To the Starry Island and A Single Spark were the films that let me know Korean cinema was an interesting place in the early 90s. I see he also directed another film in that period (Berlin Report), which I've never seen but presume is also worth seeking out.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#182 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:31 pm

zedz -- I know nothing at all about Berlin Report. As to later films -- Uprising (in my recollection) was a bit disappointing. Meet Mr. Daddy was rather nice -- but not much like the earlier films.

feihong

#183 Post by feihong » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:26 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:38 am
>> Chilsu and Mansu

Definitely takes an unexpected veer mid-way through. PARK Kwang-su is one of those great (and influential) directors (within their national cinema at least) who has been pretty much overlooked internationally (like Japan's Somai). His early films were sort of the training ground for the next batch of slightly younger creators. Still waiting to see To the Starry Isle (if it got a subbed release of any sort, I missed it).
I guess because I read the source material, Huang Chun-Ming's short story, "Two Sign Painters," I knew pretty well what was coming, so nothing surprised me about it. Huang Chun-Ming is also the author of "His Son's Big Doll," the story that is the basis for Hou Hsiao-Hsien's The Sandwich Man. All his stories have the same kind of urban realism inflected with an almost surreal irony.

Sadly, my introduction to South Korean cinema was the Wong Kar-Wai wannabe film, Beat. But thankfully afterwards I pretty quickly ended u seeing The Day a Pig Fell Into the Well and Attack the Gas Station, both of which captivated me much more than Beat did.

I can't find Berlin Report, but I'm planning to watch Black Republic, A Single Spark, and To the Starry Island this week. I've got Uprising, too, to look forward to.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#184 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:37 pm

Is there any legit source for Starry Island?

Never saw Beat or any other film directed by KIM Sung-su. Luckily my introduction to Korean cinema was Take Care of My Cat.

feihong

#185 Post by feihong » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:30 pm

Not as far as I know. The version I've seen looks like a VHS tape, and maybe there was a VHS release at some point?

beamish14

#186 Post by beamish14 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:08 am

feihong wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:26 pm
Michael Kerpan wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:38 am
>> Chilsu and Mansu

I guess because I read the source material, Huang Chun-Ming's short story, "Two Sign Painters," I knew pretty well what was coming, so nothing surprised me about it. Huang Chun-Ming is also the author of "His Son's Big Doll," the story that is the basis for Hou Hsiao-Hsien's The Sandwich Man. All his stories have the same kind of urban realism inflected with an almost surreal irony.

Sadly, my introduction to South Korean cinema was the Wong Kar-Wai wannabe film, Beat. But thankfully afterwards I pretty quickly ended u seeing The Day a Pig Fell Into the Well and Attack the Gas Station, both of which captivated me much more than Beat did.

I can't find Berlin Report, but I'm planning to watch Black Republic, A Single Spark, and To the Starry Island this week. I've got Uprising, too, to look forward to.

Attack the Gas Station! and My Wife is a Gangster were my two introductions to Korean cinema, and their unique blend of comedy, action, and exploitation completely bowled me over. Unsurprisingly, both films were earmarked for Hollywood remakes that thankfully never materialized

feihong

#187 Post by feihong » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:53 pm

Didn't know Attack the Gas Station got optioned. I wonder if that explains why there hasn't been a blu ray in South Korea for the film.

Jigvell

#188 Post by Jigvell » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:53 am

Collection update. All blu-rays are now in my collection (alphabetically sorted).
I even got the reissue of The Housemaid because of the Bong Joon-ho commentary :D.

Also, I started a list on WIKI with all the releases...

feihong

#189 Post by feihong » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:45 pm

Looks great. What a cool collection.

L.A.

#190 Post by L.A. » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:58 am

Next up is A Devilish Homicide (1965), out late June.