Grasshopper Film

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
hearthesilence

Re: Grasshopper Film

#251 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:29 am

lastrade wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:48 am
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/n ... b-obituary

Obituary for Jean-Marie Straub in the Guardian yesterday.
A rare case of the credited obituary writer dying years before the subject!

colinr0380

#252 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:49 pm

There are a lot of posthumous Ronald Bergan obituaries on the Guardian, suggesting that there is quite a pre-existing collection in the archives! This reminds me of that episode of the Drop The Dead Donkey series in which Henry tries to get early access to his obituary video!

MichaelB

#253 Post by MichaelB » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:15 am

I know the author of the Independent’s Woody Allen obituary [sic], the bulk of which was written in the 1990s and which gets topped up (thus far, by him) every time Allen does something culturally significant.

Grand Wazoo

#254 Post by Grand Wazoo » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:48 am

I used to work at a television network and they had an "obituary wall" of tape backups for pre-edited obit pieces for elderly celebrities and nearly every prominent politician regardless of age (presumably due to the higher chance of assassination). They would update these every few years and keep hem on standby just in case. I got to witness the chaos firsthand when Whitney Houston died unexpectedly and they only had a few broll clips at the ready, so the various clip reels and eventual obit were slowly filled out as the night wore on and you could see it all become more robust in real time on-air as footage was tracked down and edited. News producers were freaking out over getting footage up like it was 9/11.

What a horrible place to work.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#255 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:13 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:49 pm
There are a lot of posthumous Ronald Bergan obituaries on the Guardian, suggesting that there is quite a pre-existing collection in the archives! This reminds me of that episode of the Drop The Dead Donkey series in which Henry tries to get early access to his obituary video!
The fuss over Chris Morris's suspension for theming an episode of his 1994 Radio 1 show around the (still-pending) demise of Michael Heseltine ("If there is any news of the death of Michael Heseltine in the next hour, we'll let you know") overshadowed what I think was its actual highlight: when he called up one of Heseltine's parliamentary colleagues to request a soundbite for the pre-prepared obituary tape.

furbicide

#256 Post by furbicide » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:42 pm

Just saw that Friends and Strangers – the first Australian title to be released by Grasshopper – is out on the 6th. (They’ve also got a 50% sale on this weekend.)

Really can’t recommend this film highly enough; I think it’s one of the best films produced in the country in years (basically it’s a very funny, at times mildly surreal, deadpan comedy with an anti-colonial undercurrent). It got a shamefully brief theatrical release in Australia after premiering in competition at Rotterdam, so hardly anyone here has gotten the chance to see it. Hopefully the DVD release helps spread the word a little more.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#257 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:49 pm

Boy they really haven't released much since this time last year, have they? Sure wish I could be ordering a copy of La flor or La academia de las musas right now... :-"

therewillbeblus

#258 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:12 pm

swo17 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:49 pm
Boy they really haven't released much since this time last year, have they? Sure wish I could be ordering a copy of La flor or La academia de las musas right now... :-"
My exact thought when I scouted on the website this morning

Cipater

#259 Post by Cipater » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:37 am

Finch wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:18 pm
Keane BD dated for Dec 27
Delayed till sometime in 2023, according to their Twitter.

criterionsnob

#260 Post by criterionsnob » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:09 pm

Keane detailed for April 4. Includes the Steven Soderbergh alternate cut.

criterionsnob

#261 Post by criterionsnob » Sun May 07, 2023 4:55 pm

I just noticed O Sangue is available to purchase/rent on Projectr. Tempted to watch, but I'd rather wait for a Blu-ray. Hopefully that comes soon.

What A Disgrace

#262 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:21 am

In addition to The Strange Mr. Vincent, Grasshopper also has Gremillon's Lady Killer. Theatrical (let alone home video releases) release dates have yet to be revealed for either.

Peacock

#263 Post by Peacock » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:10 am

Amazing news! Fingers crossed.

What A Disgrace

#264 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:00 pm

Kazuo Hara's Minnamata Mandala, his latest film, has been picked up by Grasshopper and will be among their next theatrical releases (including the two Grémillon films), starting in August.

Matt

Grasshopper Film

#265 Post by Matt » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:05 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:In addition to The Strange Mr. Vincent, Grasshopper also has Gremillon's Lady Killer. Theatrical (let alone home video releases) release dates have yet to be revealed for either.
These are starting to show up on fall schedules. Some listings on Grasshopper’s own site: M. Victor, Gueule d’Amour (I refuse to call it “Lady Killer”)

There’s a write-up in the New York Times today. I’ve been soaking in the tastes of this forum so long that it seems funny to read the opinion that Marcel Carné, who is so rarely spoken of here these days, is more celebrated than Grémillon, who we all adore.

furbicide

#266 Post by furbicide » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:27 pm

Are we still expecting Grasshopper to bring out Pedro Costa’s Blood later this year? I saw something about that a while back, but not sure when their new coming soon titles are announced.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#267 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:21 am

There's a 50% off sale at Grasshopper. New releases this year include:

Il buco
Friends and Strangers
Los conductos
Keane
Cramps and the Mutants: The Napa State Tapes
Pacifiction
Dry Ground Burning