Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
M Sanderson

Re: Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#1551 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:36 am

EddieLarkin wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:28 pm
For those that are Region B compatible, this release uses the same superior source as the Scream Factory disc but unlike that one actually uses the full original theatrical soundtrack.
Thanks for the tip. Just ordered it. I was close to buying the OOP Shout Factory version for around $70 after Christmas.

Ribs

#1552 Post by Ribs » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:48 pm

Shout have acquired video rights to Coraline, Paranorman, The Boxtrolls, and Kubo and the Two Strings. I find this whole deal a little confusing as I don't really understand how Laika have reacquired the rights to their own films only five years after the last Focus title was released, and I also don't entirely think they are like Ghibli that the fans that own their previous (good!) 3D releases are going to be particularly compelled to rebuy (especially as I don't think a 3D release from Shout seems like a sure thing). These also seem like titles where the choice to do a 3D release is probably preferable for most to a potential 4K release.

Also upcoming releases for May:

The Hand (1981)
Eyes of a Stranger
He Knows You're Alone (1980)
King Kong (1976)
The Nest (2020)
Last edited by Ribs on Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Ben

#1553 Post by Big Ben » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:45 pm

King Kong 76 is a big get because it's never been on Blu-Ray here in the States before. I haven't seen it since I was a child in the nineties or early 2000s but it'll be interesting to revist what I consider to an interesting albeit inferior remake. Of note here is that it includes an extended TV version which has never been seen outside it's original airings.

dwk

#1554 Post by dwk » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:28 pm

Joe Dante's Explorers is coming from Shout Select in a collector's edition that appears to have two cuts of the film.

Other Shout Select releases
Wildcats
All About the Benjamins
City Slickers II The Legend of Curly's Gold

Dylan

#1555 Post by Dylan » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:48 pm

dwk wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:28 pm
Joe Dante's Explorers is coming from Shout Select in a collector's edition that appears to have two cuts of the film.
It would be amazing if the deleted scenes were found (the most notable seem to be an extended party scene with Ethan Hawke and Amanda Peterson, and additional Dick Miller scenes), but on Shout!'s website the two running times listed are 106 minutes and 109 minutes, which seems to indicate that what we're getting is the theatrical cut (106 minutes) and the later home video cut (109 minutes) which restores a few minutes of footage at the end that Dante was able to find. Hopefully the extras will address the deleted material, as I understand there was quite a lot of it.
Last edited by Dylan on Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

beamish14

#1556 Post by beamish14 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:55 pm

Dylan wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:48 pm
dwk wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:28 pm
It would be amazing if the deleted scenes were found (the most notable seem to be an extended party scene with Ethan Hawke and Amanda Peterson, and additional Dick Miller scenes), but on Shout's website, the two running times listed are 106 minutes and 109 minutes, which I assume indicates that what we're getting is the theatrical cut (106 minutes) and the later home video cut (109 minutes) which restores a few minutes of footage at the end that Dante was able to find. Hopefully the extras will address the deleted material, as I understand there was quite a lot of it.

I can't wait to have both the theatrical and preview cut that Dante has preserved. I'm sure part of the timing behind this release might be the TV series spin-off that is supposed to debut later this year.

Dylan

#1557 Post by Dylan » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:01 pm

Did Dante preserve a preview cut of Explorers? I know he did for The 'Burbs, but to my knowledge he wasn't able to save (or later, locate) the deleted Explorers scenes that meant the most to him.

By the way, a visit to IMDB reveals that I was incorrect above. Apparently, the 109-minute version is the theatrical, and the 106-minute version is the one slightly re-cut by Dante for home video.

I look forward to more details about this release and the extras Shout! will be including.
Last edited by Dylan on Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beamish14

#1558 Post by beamish14 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:05 pm

Dante screened an alternate version of it at the New Beverly a while back, and I think it's that tweaked cut that we got on DVD, but I'm not sure.There are relatively minor differences.
Like Looney Tunes: Back in Action, it went into production with an incomplete script, and the third act suffers terribly for it (although Looney Tunes fails on a bigger level).

He didn't save any 35mm material from The 'Burbs, sadly.

Dylan

#1559 Post by Dylan » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:19 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:05 pm
Dante screened an alternate version of it at the New Beverly a while back, and I think it's that tweaked cut that we got on DVD, but I'm not sure.There are relatively minor differences.
Like Looney Tunes: Back in Action, it went into production with an incomplete script, and the third act suffers terribly for it (although Looney Tunes fails on a bigger level).

Thank you for the information. It does sound like what he showed at The New Beverly is what's currently on home video. Overall, I think Explorers ended up to be quite a beautiful and fun film, even if it starts to feel pieced together in the final few minutes (but Jerry Goldsmith's score really helps and ultimately makes it work, in my opinion).

That's right, the Blu-ray of The 'Burbs has a workprint cut that isn't from 35mm. I haven't seen it yet, but I understand it's quite fascinating.

Ribs

#1560 Post by Ribs » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:58 pm

It's nice that the Shout Select brand isn't dead as I had assumed it had become as there hadn't been releases in what was approaching a year. Shout has better access to catalogs like Paramount that other labels seem to have trouble wrestling things from so it's good to see more may be coming.

hearthesilence

#1561 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:39 pm

beamish14 wrote:

Was this in 2016? I think he may have done the same program at BAM.

beamish14

#1562 Post by beamish14 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:52 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:39 pm
beamish14 wrote:

Was this in 2016? I think he may have done the same program at BAM.

It was possibly even earlier. Dante and Jon Davison (producer of Robocop and Airplane!) have a joint collection at the AMPAS, which is where the print is held.

L.A.

#1563 Post by L.A. » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:09 pm

***Update on EVENT HORIZON***

After a very long wait (and we thank you for your patience) we are finally able to announce the final list of extras on our new upcoming Collector's Edition of EVENT HORIZON!

We do want address the natural question of "Were you not able to find more uncut footage?" that has been on many minds since we announced the release last year.

We did an exhaustive search for film elements for the director’s cut, but as you’ll hear in his new 2021 interview, director Paul W.S. Anderson doesn’t think his cut will materialize. Unfortunately, much of the footage is lost and as he mentions, he’d need to shoot new footage. We moved the release date a few times because of some leads, but to our disappointment, they didn’t pan out. We definitely tried our best.

We're still very proud of what we we're able to deliver. We have a new 4k scan, as well as a robust slate of new interviews and additional bonus materials, so we hope you still enjoy the release.

• NEW 4K scan of the original camera negative
• NEW Reflecting on Hell - an interview with director Paul W.S. Anderson
• NEW Ghost Galleon - an interview with writer Philip Eisner
• NEW Organized Chaos – an interview with actress Kathleen Quinlan
• NEW Compassion in Space – an interview with actor Jack Noseworthy
• NEW The Doomed Captain – an interview with actor Peter Marinker
• NEW Space Cathedral – an interview with production designer Joseph Bennett
• NEW Something New – an interview with set decorator Crispian Sallis
• NEW Taking Care of It – an interview with production manager Dusty Symonds
• NEW Reinforcements – an interview with second unit director Robin Vidgeon
• NEW Almost Real – an interview with location manager Derek Harrington
• NEW Screams from the Cosmos – an interview with sound designer Campbell Askew
• Audio Commentary with director Paul W.S. Anderson and producer Jeremy Bolt
• The Making of EVENT HORIZON – a 5-part documentary
• The Point of No Return – a 4-part look at the filming of EVENT HORIZON with narration by Paul W.S. Anderson
• Secrets – deleted and extended scenes with director’s commentary
• The Unseen EVENT HORIZON – The un-filmed rescue scene and conceptual art with director’s commentary
• Theatrical Trailer
• Video Trailer

Release date planned for March 23rd. Pre-order now @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/ev ... ct_id=7436

Adam X

#1564 Post by Adam X » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:48 pm

I hope there’s room for the film amongst all those extras. A pity they couldn’t get a new bearded Sam Neill interview, while he was going happily mad on social media in 2020.

hanshotfirst1138

#1565 Post by hanshotfirst1138 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:40 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:49 pm
I am in the middle of cdnchris and beamish14 in that I also think Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday is the worst Friday the 13th film, mainly because it is the one that feels as if it forgets what a Friday the 13th film is for the majority of the film to go off into strange body hopping worm beings and body horror of people who have been used and discarded melting into puddles of goo, before the ultimate in 'throwing everything at the screen to see what sticks' ending of the Freddy glove cameo that really feels like a throwaway gag that for some reason got taken seriously as pointing towards an actual collaboration until an actual Versus film was made (I quite like Freddy vs Jason for the record!), weirdly quite similar to the way that the xenomorph skull turns up briefly in the Predator's ship near the end of Predator 2. I don't think those things were intended seriously at the time, just as little in jokes, especially by having New Line's established horror villain establish his dominance over the newly acquired franchise by dragging the villain to hell! In a way it was more about branding than actual content by that stage, even if it eventually managed to develop into something more after years of trying.

Of course the counter argument is that there had already been eight previous films that were incredibly iterative already so the formula was (arguably, I like the comfy loop of the classic Friday films!) in need of a shake up, but I still think Jason Goes To Hell was a shake up much too far with its ancient evil and cults chasing after Jason (which is a bit similar to the cult business that appeared in Halloween 5 & 6. Which itself was probably influenced by the cult stuff from Omen III!). Which the later films kind of acknowledge by completely ignoring much of the plot developments in it!

But I think the opening scene doing the ultimate parody of the girl going off alone to the cabin in the woods, stripping to her underwear and taking a shower in a gloomy cabin with poorly working light fittings until her 'invocation ritual' ends up conjuring up Jason, who then chases her through the woods before she reveals that she is the undercover officer leading Jason into a SWAT-team sting was really great. (Although that also shows that the filmmakers knew exactly all of the tropes of the Friday the 13th film that they go on to ignore completely after that for stuff about ancient evil and cults, which feels almost contemptuous of the franchise it is a part of. It is worse than the issues with Part V because at least that film felt as if it was flailing around at a loose end after the "Final Chapter" of Part IV killed Jason off too thoroughly) And I just find amusing now that the main bad guy who gets possessed in the second half of the film is played by the actor who went on to play Robert F. Kennedy in that Cuban missile crisis film Thirteen Days!

I pretty much agree with the recent Red Letter Media videos that Part IV and Part VI are the best, with Part IV being the best 'classic' Jason (with the best cast with Corey Feldman and Crispin Glover) and Part VI the best 'zombie' Jason entry. But I also really like the surrounding entries of Part 2 and III (which I think gets a bit unfairly denigrated in the Red Letter Media video! The 3D is a bit obnoxiously overdone but I quite like the atmosphere), and Part VII: The New Blood. This may also be a silly aside and I don't know if anyone else feels the same way but I do think that a lot of what film you like in the series (probably because everything is so stripped down plot and character-wise) comes down to what kind of houses the action is taking place in that you prefer! Some of the house/cabin environments in Part III, IV and VI look really cosy and I could see it being quite fun to spend a relaxing spring break there with a group of friends, if it wasn't for all of the murders taking place in them!

But I do think that despite there not being great continuity between films (which only gets completely discarded with the shift to the New Line series where, as gets pointed out in the video, the question of how do we get from Jason being killed off in the regularly flooded with toxic waste sewers of New York at the end of Part VIII to the opening of Jason Goes To Hell? And from being dragged off by Freddy to being in the facility run by David Cronenberg in Jason X? It is probably best not to ask these questions! But even before the New Line series threw all continuity out of the window Part V has that stinger ending with Tommy Jarvis that gets completely ignored for Part VI, perhaps for being too absurd!) there are some treasurable moments in every entry. For example in Part V, which is my runner up for worst installment after Jason Goes To Hell, there is still that excellent opening nightmare sequence with Corey Feldman briefly returning as Tommy Jarvis (That does seem to be a key feature of the Friday the 13th films: they often have very strong openings! The one exception weirdly being the first film which goes to another level once Betsy Palmer turns up at the climax!)

I don't mind Jason X though it is rather too winking and arch with lots of post-Scream knowingness and Buffy-style Joss Wheedon-isms ("He's screwed" is a truly groan-worthy one liner! As is "this sucks on so many levels!" But I do love the return to Crystal Lake sequence which finally allows for the censor truncated sleeping bag kill in Part VII to get done over properly!). The reason for the David Cronenberg cameo at the opening of Jason X is likely because the film was directed by Jim Isaac who had previously worked on the special effects for Naked Lunch and eXistenZ (I think this was part of a trend of the late 90s and early 2000s of special effects technicians being given the chance to take the helm of director on films, with rather predictable results of the effects being good but the story somewhat slight - Virus directed by John Bruno, who worked on James Cameron's films, is the other one that comes immediately to mind), and the other great nod to Cronenberg's films is the other cameo by Robert A. Silverman appearing on a viewscreen as the person running the city that our spaceship is coming to (and ends up going straight through, utterly destroying it!). Silverman is all over early Cronenberg: one of the patients in Rabid; one of Oliver Reed's patients in The Brood; the artist getting raided by the assassins in the middle of Scanners; a threatening investigator in Naked Lunch; and finally caught in a perpetual dialogue loop awaiting the proper reply as D'Arcy Nader in eXistenZ. So whilst its not my favourite Friday The 13th film, its really worth watching for any fan of Cronenberg's films because of those couple of cameos!
JGTH does have the most literal sex=death scene I’ve ever seen though.

L.A.

#1566 Post by L.A. » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:11 pm

***NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT***
Coming to Blu-ray in June from Scream Factory!

Sphinx (1981)

The Awakening (1980)

Sphinx: Someone is hunting tourists out of season in this adventure thriller directed by Franklin J. Schaffner (Planet Of The Apes, Patton, Papillon, The Boys From Brazil) and starring Lesley-Anne Down (The Great Train Robbery), Frank Langella (Dracula), and John Gielgud (Murder On the Orient Express). A beautiful, dedicated Egyptologist finds her life threatened many times while traveling from Cairo to Luxor's Valley of the Kings. She is in search of a mysterious tomb of riches, which also holds great interest for black marketeers. Based on a novel by Robin Cook, this riveting film delivers twists, turns and a tale of intrigue you won’t soon forget!

The Awakening: Two-time Academy Award® winner* Charlton Heston stars as an archaeologist driven to destroy the ancient evil he unleashes when his research causes The Awakening. Matthew Corbeck (Heston, Ben-Hur) is obsessed with finding and opening the tomb of the murderous ancient Egyptian queen Kara, to the point of neglecting his pregnant wife (Jill Townsend, Poldark) even as she delivers their baby. But the evil that Corbeck frees takes possession of his newborn daughter. Now, eighteen years later, Corbeck's daughter, Margaret (Stephanie Zimbalist, Remington Steele), returns to Egypt to meet her father for the first time – and Corbeck must overcome powerful occult forces to destroy the evil he loosed upon the world!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1567 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:25 pm

Heston didn’t win two Oscars, unless they think the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award counts?

willoneill

#1568 Post by willoneill » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:32 pm

I was randomly scrolling through the iTunes coming soon page, and they had upcoming listings for various Herzog films that were credited to Shout Factory, including Signs of Life and Wild Blue Yonder. Hopefully SF will give them blu-ray releases as well.

dwk

#1569 Post by dwk » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:54 pm

Other June Shout/Scream titles:
Just A Gigolo
Stardust (Bowie Biopic not the Gaiman adaptation)
Human Nature (Shout Select)
Hunter Hunter (IFC Midnight)
The Secret World of Arrietty (Steelbook)
The Wind Rises (Steelbook)
Embattled
Kindred (IFC Midnight)

L.A.

#1570 Post by L.A. » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:55 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:25 pm
Heston didn’t win two Oscars, unless they think the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award counts?
According to the product page they think so yes.

beamish14

#1571 Post by beamish14 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:00 pm

L.A. wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:09 pm
***Update on EVENT HORIZON***

After a very long wait (and we thank you for your patience) we are finally able to announce the final list of extras on our new upcoming Collector's Edition of EVENT HORIZON!

We do want address the natural question of "Were you not able to find more uncut footage?" that has been on many minds since we announced the release last year.

We did an exhaustive search for film elements for the director’s cut, but as you’ll hear in his new 2021 interview, director Paul W.S. Anderson doesn’t think his cut will materialize. Unfortunately, much of the footage is lost and as he mentions, he’d need to shoot new footage. We moved the release date a few times because of some leads, but to our disappointment, they didn’t pan out. We definitely tried our best.

We're still very proud of what we we're able to deliver. We have a new 4k scan, as well as a robust slate of new interviews and additional bonus materials, so we hope you still enjoy the release.

• NEW 4K scan of the original camera negative
• NEW Reflecting on Hell - an interview with director Paul W.S. Anderson
• NEW Ghost Galleon - an interview with writer Philip Eisner
• NEW Organized Chaos – an interview with actress Kathleen Quinlan
• NEW Compassion in Space – an interview with actor Jack Noseworthy
• NEW The Doomed Captain – an interview with actor Peter Marinker
• NEW Space Cathedral – an interview with production designer Joseph Bennett
• NEW Something New – an interview with set decorator Crispian Sallis
• NEW Taking Care of It – an interview with production manager Dusty Symonds
• NEW Reinforcements – an interview with second unit director Robin Vidgeon
• NEW Almost Real – an interview with location manager Derek Harrington
• NEW Screams from the Cosmos – an interview with sound designer Campbell Askew
• Audio Commentary with director Paul W.S. Anderson and producer Jeremy Bolt
• The Making of EVENT HORIZON – a 5-part documentary
• The Point of No Return – a 4-part look at the filming of EVENT HORIZON with narration by Paul W.S. Anderson
• Secrets – deleted and extended scenes with director’s commentary
• The Unseen EVENT HORIZON – The un-filmed rescue scene and conceptual art with director’s commentary
• Theatrical Trailer
• Video Trailer

Release date planned for March 23rd. Pre-order now @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/ev ... ct_id=7436

I want to take a moment to give some love to the person or people responsible for the titles of the interviews featured on Shout's discs.

beamish14

#1572 Post by beamish14 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:02 pm

dwk wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:54 pm

I'm sure to be in the minority here, but this is one of my very favourite films of the 2000's, and I'm so glad that Shout is releasing it

bainbridgezu

#1573 Post by bainbridgezu » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:14 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:02 pm
dwk wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:54 pm

I'm sure to be in the minority here, but this is one of my very favourite films of the 2000's, and I'm so glad that Shout is releasing it
I've been hoping Criterion would release it from undeserved obscurity for years, so glad someone's finally doing it

PfR73

#1574 Post by PfR73 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:18 pm

I don't know that I would rank it that high, but I liked it alot when I finally saw it a couple years ago. I've come very close to spending too much money to import the out-of-print Japanese Blu-ray, so I'm very glad to see it getting a US release.

dwk

#1575 Post by dwk » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:23 pm

Another June tile, Battle Beyond the Stars (from a new 2K scan) steelbook with or without Sybil Danning action figure