Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#1501 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:29 pm

I don’t think this kind of thing is even remotely worth that level of effort, but you gotta admire that level of dedication and excitement

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1502 Post by cdnchris » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:43 pm

A movie about that would be way more interesting than most of the movies in the series.

L.A.

#1503 Post by L.A. » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:05 pm

Baking a tape in an oven. First time I am hearing this kind of thing actually.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1504 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:11 pm

Weird Al needs to deliver "Bake a Tape" (NSFW)

L.A.

#1505 Post by L.A. » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:25 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:11 pm
Weird Al needs to deliver "Bake a Tape" (NSFW)
😆

senseabove

#1506 Post by senseabove » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:36 pm

L.A. wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:05 pm
Baking a tape in an oven. First time I am hearing this kind of thing actually.
Since it's a solution to a problem for aging magnetic tape it mostly comes up with audio, not video, but it's fairly well-known as a "last ditch" salvage procedure that makes tapes playable one final time for digitization: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sticky-shed_syndrome

dustybooks

#1507 Post by dustybooks » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:03 pm

Yo La Tengo employed the baking method when rescuing their version of "Somebody's Baby" for the Genius + Love compilation, which is how I first heard of the process.

hearthesilence

#1508 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:34 pm

Yeah, analog magnetic tapes manufactured from 1972-1985 often suffer from "binder breakdown" where the adhesive chemicals in the tape begin to dissipate because of moisture absorption. (Contrary to popular myth, it has nothing to do with whale oil, which was reportedly used in some tape brands before whaling was outlawed in the U.S. in 1971.) How do you tell if you have this problem? Squeaky, sticky playback with accumulation of oxide or gummy residue on the heads and guides. Whenever these signs appear, the tape has to be stopped immediately so as not to seriously damage it, then sent out for "baking" where it's heated at low temperature in a convection oven for several hours.

It's not unusual to find album masters recorded as late as 1990 (or even later) with the same problem due to older tape stock usage. It's fortunate that a lot of the older tapes weren't dumped when they started having problems too. (I'm sure some were, maybe even tons.) It probably took a while before a solution could be found, and even then, it took a while for word to get around. For example, the master tape for the Eagles's Hotel California (1976) was unplayable for a while until about 1992 when Ampex in Redwood City informed an audiophile label licensing the title that they could fix it with baking. Supposedly no one at WEA knew of this method, and certainly no one at that specialty label, but they took their word and rolled the dice. In two days, Ampex shipped back the tapes with a note saying they had two weeks before the masters reverted to junk again. I'm not sure how many times you'd want to bake a tape for usage, but at least with that album they were able to do it more than once to have a playable master again.

senseabove

#1509 Post by senseabove » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:41 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:34 pm
...sent out for "baking" where it's heated at low temperature in a convection oven for several hours.
Or you can use your handy dandy dehydrator:
Do not process food and tapes together!

hearthesilence

#1510 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:52 pm

But it already takes TWO days to make raisins - now I gotta wait for the tapes to be done first???

dwk

#1511 Post by dwk » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:46 pm

Target has listing for the following Shout/Scream titles
They Live (UHD/Blu-ray)
Castle In The Sky (Steelbook)
From Up On Poppy Hill
Kenny Rogers Double Feature (Wild Horses/Coward Of The County -- DVD)
Made in Italy
The Rental (2020)
The Rising Hawk: Battle For The Carpathians
Spirited Away (Steelbook)
Tennesse Tuxedo and His Tales: The Complete Collection (DVD)

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#1512 Post by ando » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:19 pm

Just noticed a Shout! Factory TV 7 Day trial on APrime. Might do that since, despite the title, they seem to have full length features, too - Mel Brooks' To Be or Not To Be clinched it. And more Kovacs.

dwk

#1513 Post by dwk » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:24 pm

Official announcement for They Live UHD
***Big THEY LIVE news***

We just can’t get enough of John Carpenter’s politically charged sci-fi classic and we’re celebrating it in an exciting and elaborate fashion!

For the first time in the U.S. & Canada, THEY LIVE is being released in a 2-Disc UHD/Blu-ray format nationwide and will be available on our site and other retailers. Release date is Dec 8th. It will include all previous bonus features from the prior 2012 Collector’s Edition release.

If you order the title directly from us @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/page/list/id/282130… we are presenting the choice of 5 EXCLUSIVE OFFERS for the ultimate fan of the film. Two major highlights in those bundles include:

- For the first time ever, a limited edition 8” inch NECA - N.E.C.A action figure of Keith David’s “Frank” is a reality and only available exclusively from Scream Factory. "Frank” as portrayed by actor Keith David, It’s a perfect complement to NECA’s “John Nada”/Roddy Piper action figure (available elsewhere in Nov 2020), "Frank" comes with two accessory machine guns, and is dressed in a purple shirt, khaki pants, and special sunglasses to see right through the aliens’ disguise. The figure will be housed in a collectible retro box packaging featuring original theatrical art. This figure is authorized and approved by actor Keith David with only 4,000 units being made.
- Also available exclusively only from us is a 7” record on exclusive bubble gum pink vinyl via Sacred Bones Records, featuring music from the film composed by John Carpenter and recorded by John, Cody Carpenter, and Daniel Davies. The A-side includes the 2017 version of the main title and the B-side contains a never-before-released recording of "Wake Up" recorded by the trio in 2019. The bubble gum pink vinyl is a limited edition run of 2,500 copies and is housed in a lavish slipcase with new art by frequent Carpenter collaborator Chris Bilheimer.

Pre-order now @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/page/list/id/282130… while offers last. We definitely expect the action figure and record will go quick.
The Blu-ray in this release uses the 4K master.

dwk

#1514 Post by dwk » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:07 am

Adam X wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:26 pm
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.
Well hell, I was wrong. Kino just announced The Hot Spot from a new 2K scan.

Adam X

#1515 Post by Adam X » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:13 pm

Guess I’ll cancel my backorder then : )

($10 it’s the title I’ve just been charged for)

(UPDATE: damn, it was)

Reverend Drewcifer

#1516 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:02 am

I found Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978 for $16.99 from Half Price Books via Amazon Marketplace (!)

yoloswegmaster

#1517 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:13 pm

Army of Darkness 4K UHD will be released sometime next year

Florinaldo

#1518 Post by Florinaldo » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:46 pm

As an addendum to my August 25th post on the new edition of the Vincent Price Collection, I have a few comments regarding the packaging. I had the opportunity to examine the box set yesterday and I was surprised that none of the new bonuses I listed in my post were mentioned on the box itself. It bears a 2020 copyright date so it is a new version of the package; they scrubbed from it all mentions of the introductions/conclusions by VP from a public station series that were included in the first edition. However, checking the discs shows that all the new features mentioned on the Shout! Web site are indeed present on the discs themselves.

If I were in charge of designing that packaging, I would have made sure that there was prominent mention of the 4 new audio commentaries and the 2 new introductions, as well as the "extended" cut of Masque of the Red Death, to entice not just people who missed out on the first edition but also perhaps others who might consider double-dipping because of the new contents. But I guess the people at Shout! believe discretion is the better part of marketing. Unless there was a lag in the production calendar between the design of the box and the final assembling of the discs' contents.

Just to muddy the waters a little further, the inside booklet is a straight reprint and it mentions the now-dropped intros/outros, which may confuse some buyers.

The Amazon.ca listing conforms to the info on the box, not to what is on the publisher's Web site.

There have been other examples of omissions on DVD/BD packaging. But this is of quite another order of magnitude; another recent example is the Kino box set Dark Side of Cinema Vol. 3, where there is absolutely no mention of any bonus content on the box, i.e. the commentaries on each of the 3 films.
Last edited by Florinaldo on Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willoneill

#1519 Post by willoneill » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:03 pm

I've also noticed this recently for Shout Factory. Their editions of The Thing, Starman, and Danger: Diabolik all have packaging doesn't mention commentaries that appear on the discs.

Adam X

#1520 Post by Adam X » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:23 pm

This is nothing new for Shout!, and they've said in the past it's simply due to the packaging being produced in advance of everything else.

Luke M

#1521 Post by Luke M » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:31 pm

GKids announced on Twitter the blu-ray release of Neon Genesis Evangelion the original TV series and 2 movies coming sometime in 2021.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#1522 Post by Never Cursed » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:31 pm

Here's hoping it's with both dubs...

therewillbeblus

#1523 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:07 am

I'm hopeful that Shout! will be sensitive to the fans on this one, especially after the Netflix debacle caused so much outrage

Calvin

#1524 Post by Calvin » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:53 am

I'm sure the contents will be dictated by Gainax and GKIDS / Anime Limited (who are releasing it in the UK) will have very little influence over its contents. Evangelion 3.33 was delayed over 2 years while disagreements over the dub script were resolved.

Florinaldo

#1525 Post by Florinaldo » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:18 pm

Adam X wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:23 pm
This is nothing new for Shout!, and they've said in the past it's simply due to the packaging being produced in advance of everything else.
Thanks for confirming that one of the explanations I proposed was the correct one. It is true that they sometimes wait until the very last few weeks before the release date to confirm on their Web site the final line-up of bonus contents. Depending on their arrangements with the supplier providing the cardboard boxes, these may need to be produced well in advance of that.

It may not make much a difference in terms of sales in most instances, but in the case of this new edition fo the Vincent Price Collection it might have since the unmentioned contents is quite substantial.