Oscilloscope Pictures

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.

criterionsnob

Re: Oscilloscope Pictures

#377 Post by criterionsnob » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:49 pm

New 4K restoration of Tom Noonan's What Happened Was..., coming digitally January 29 from Oscilloscope. Hopefully a Blu-ray to follow.

I haven't seen this in at least 20 years, but the performances of both Noonan and Karen Sillas were very memorable.

Adam X

#378 Post by Adam X » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:32 pm

That’s great news. Someone I used to know spoke really highly of Noonan’s ‘90’s films, but I could never find a way to see them. Hopefully it does get a physical release.

beamish14

#379 Post by beamish14 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:53 pm

criterionsnob wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:49 pm
New 4K restoration of Tom Noonan's What Happened Was..., coming digitally January 29 from Oscilloscope. Hopefully a Blu-ray to follow.

I haven't seen this in at least 20 years, but the performances of both Noonan and Karen Sillas were very memorable.

That is incredible. I saw a very rare 35mm screening of this with Noonan in person. He implored people in the audience to contact Criterion
about releasing it, as he owns it outright now (it was originally distributed by Samuel Goldwyn, which would have made it a Sony title). He
discussed how the making of it and utilizing facets of his relationship with his then-wife basically led to their divorce. An incredible work. You'll
never hear 'Til Tuesday's "Voices Carry" the same way again.

Adam X

#380 Post by Adam X » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:19 am

TRUMPISGONE gets you 50% off most things til midnight tonight in someone’s timezone.

hearthesilence

#381 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:06 pm

Adam X wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:19 am
TRUMPISGONE gets you 50% off most things til midnight tonight in someone’s timezone.
This store? For some reason it's not coming up as valid - was hoping to get Wendy and Lucy and Shut Up and Play the Hits on BD.

chatterjees

#382 Post by chatterjees » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:20 pm

The sale was on only till midnight (EST) yesterday. I got the email notification in the evening and was able to place an order.

Aunt Peg

#383 Post by Aunt Peg » Sun May 30, 2021 5:23 am

A few days ago MUBI dropped The Twentieth Century directed by Matthew Rankin. I thought I would give it a watch and was very impressed with the film. Guy Maddin is clearly a big influence on Rankin.

It started with the Oscilloscope Pictures logo and to my delight is available on Blu Ray. Certainly recommended to any fans of Maddin's work: https://store.oscilloscope.net/products ... 6683970658

Cinephile1

#384 Post by Cinephile1 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:41 am

beamish14 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:53 pm
criterionsnob wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:49 pm

That is incredible. I saw a very rare 35mm screening of this with Noonan in person. He implored people in the audience to contact Criterion
about releasing it, as he owns it outright now (it was originally distributed by Samuel Goldwyn, which would have made it a Sony title). He
discussed how the making of it and utilizing facets of his relationship with his then-wife basically led to their divorce. An incredible work. You'll
never hear 'Til Tuesday's "Voices Carry" the same way again.
Adam X wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:32 pm
That’s great news. Someone I used to know spoke really highly of Noonan’s ‘90’s films, but I could never find a way to see them. Hopefully it does get a physical release.
Well, of course it did, a limited edition available only on their site which I have already ordered and received. About time after all these years.

senseabove

#385 Post by senseabove » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:47 pm

Oscilloscope

New Releases - No Ordinary Man & Les Notres

#386 Post by Oscilloscope » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:59 pm

Hello everyone!

We are very excited to announce that Blu-ray and DVD digipaks for NO ORDINARY MAN and LES NÔTRES are now live for pre-order on the O-Scope store.

NO ORDINARY MAN (dir. Aisling Chin-Yee & Chase Joynt)

American jazz musician Billy Tipton developed a reputable touring and recording career in the mid-twentieth century, along with his band The Billy Tipton Trio. After his death in the late 80s, it was revealed that Tipton was assigned female at birth, and his life was swiftly reframed as the story of an ambitious woman passing as a man in pursuit of a music career. The genre-defying documentary NO ORDINARY MAN seeks to correct that misrepresentation by collaborating with trans artists. As they collectively celebrate Tipton’s story as a musician living his life according to his own terms, they paint a portrait of a trans culture icon.

LES NÔTRES (dir. Jeanne Leblanc)

To the tight-knit community of Sainte-Adeline, Quebec, Magalie appears as a normal suburban high school sophomore surrounded by friends. But this popular teenage girl is harboring a shocking secret: she’s pregnant. When Magalie refuses to identify the father, suspicions among the townsfolk come to a boiling point and the layers of a carefully maintained social varnish eventually crack.

The limited-edition digipaks for both films will ship out May 2022.

Oscilloscope

#387 Post by Oscilloscope » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:09 pm

We've got another Blu-Ray on the way!

Blu-Ray and DVD digipaks for the documentary So Late So Soon (dir. Daniel Hymanson) are available now for pre-order and will also be shipping out May 2022.

So Late So Soon (dir. Daniel Hymanson)

Half a century into their marriage, Chicago artists Jackie and Don Seiden approach the fragility of their elderly lives in their own distinct ways. Jackie, notorious for her unbounded energy, is constantly on the move, inspired to create works of art while also maintaining the couple’s multistory, brightly-painted Victorian house. Don steadily sketches in his notebook while facing alarming interruptions to his health. Director Daniel Hymanson filmed the Seidens, on-and-off for five years, capturing the hardships of aging as well as a view into enduring companionship, in this charming character study.

Oscilloscope

#388 Post by Oscilloscope » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:57 pm

Woohoo! DVD and Blu-Ray digipaks for the remastered version of the legendary SHORTBUS (2006) are available for pre-order!

John Cameron Mitchell’s SHORTBUS explores the lives of several emotionally challenged characters as they navigate the comic and tragic intersections between love and sex in and around a modern-day underground salon. A sex therapist who has never had an orgasm, a dominatrix who is unable to connect, a gay couple who are deciding whether to open up their relationship, and the people who weave in and out of their lives, all converge on a weekly gathering called Shortbus: a mad nexus of art, music, politics, and polysexual carnality.

Set in a post-9/11, Bush-exhausted New York City, SHORTBUS tells its story with sexual frankness, suggesting new ways to reconcile questions of the mind, pleasures of the flesh, and imperatives of the heart.

Check it out at https://store.oscilloscope.net/products/shortbus

Finch

#389 Post by Finch » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:16 pm

Great cover.

Oscilloscope

Oscilloscope Labs Weekend Flash Sale!

#390 Post by Oscilloscope » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:45 am

Quite simply, we're hosting a big sale on our store from now until Monday morning! https://store.oscilloscope.net/?utm_sou ... eid=UNIQID

Most everything is 50% off, some stuff is 25% off, and very few things are exempt. https://store.oscilloscope.net/pages/sale-conditio

Proceeds from the sale will go towards ensuring access to safe & legal abortion services nationwide. We must keep this this life-threatening issue at the forefront of public discussion until this human right is codified into federal law.

Use code SAFE&LEGAL at checkout.

(Sale ends Monday 7/25 at 11am ET)

Oscilloscope

Black Friday Sale at the O-Scope Store

#391 Post by Oscilloscope » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:43 pm

Heyooo it's on like Donkey Kong now through Saturday!

Use code OSALEOSCOPE for 50% off most of the site, 30% off Vinyl, and some special combo incentives:

free POSER tote with soundtrack vinyl purchase, free SHORTBUS tote with soundtrack vinyl purchase, and a free bath bomb (yes, bath bomb) if you buy the OscilloSoap combo pack.

Happy OSaleOScope y'all!

store.oscilloscope.net

hearthesilence

#392 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:53 pm

This completely passed me by, but back in 2019, Oscilloscope reissued Christopher Munch's The Hours and Times, which they also helped restore in conjunction with the Sundance Institute. (Both of them funded the restoration - UCLA Film Archive did the actual restoration work.)

I've heard about this years ago, shortly before I began exploring the Beatles' work, but I never saw it until now. The Blu-ray package is great, but I'm curious as to whether David Angus participated in any of the promotion? I can't find any interviews with him, and I'm not sure if he would've appeared at any screenings when this was reissued in theaters prior to the Blu-ray release. (FWIW Munch and Hart took part in the bonuses, which I haven't viewed yet.) Angus's performance is wonderful, really the best thing about the film - I wish more casting directors had picked up on it, but from what I can tell, his work has primarily been in theater and radio (possibly more of the latter) since the film was released.

hearthesilence

#393 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:24 pm

FWIW, that restoration of Christopher Munch's The Hours and Times is actually streaming on Kanopy.

FrauBlucher

#394 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:49 pm

Oscilloscope

Poser (dir. Ori Segev and Noah Dixon) is now available on Blu-ray/DVD!

#395 Post by Oscilloscope » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:26 pm

Hello all!

Just sharing the good news, check it out at: https://store.oscilloscope.net/collecti ... -pre-order

Hope everyone has a great afternoon!

davidhuxley

#397 Post by davidhuxley » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:41 am

I'm making a Letterboxd list of all Oscilloscope releases, both on disc, and those released only theatrically and/or digitally. In trying to add the spine numbers to the disc releases, I've come upon a snag. I can not determine if there ever were a Spine #75, between GIRL ASLEEP (#74) and THE LOVE WITCH (#76). I'm also aware that there were eight films released without spine numbers from 2013 until 2017. They are: BUNOHAN, THE PAST IS A GROTESQUE ANIMAL, WHITEWASH, JINGLE BELL ROCKS, MAD AS HELL, ANIMALS, BUZZARD, and NIGHT SCHOOL. Could one of these have been assigned spine number 75? Thanks for any help you can provide. I will link the list here once it is complete. BTW, I have been in the Circle of Trust without a break since 2018. :D

Oscilloscope

#398 Post by Oscilloscope » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:40 am

davidhuxley wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:41 am
I'm making a Letterboxd list of all Oscilloscope releases, both on disc, and those released only theatrically and/or digitally. In trying to add the spine numbers to the disc releases, I've come upon a snag. I can not determine if there ever were a Spine #75, between GIRL ASLEEP (#74) and THE LOVE WITCH (#76). I'm also aware that there were eight films released without spine numbers from 2013 until 2017. They are: BUNOHAN, THE PAST IS A GROTESQUE ANIMAL, WHITEWASH, JINGLE BELL ROCKS, MAD AS HELL, ANIMALS, BUZZARD, and NIGHT SCHOOL. Could one of these have been assigned spine number 75? Thanks for any help you can provide. I will link the list here once it is complete. BTW, I have been in the Circle of Trust without a break since 2018. :D
Appreciate your support! Spine #75 is the documentary Los Sures.

davidhuxley

#399 Post by davidhuxley » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:42 am

Thanks!

davidhuxley

#400 Post by davidhuxley » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:54 am

Appreciate your support! Spine #75 is the documentary Los Sures.
I've been unable to confirm that this was released on DVD. The Oscilloscope website gives information on a theatrical and digital release, but not a physical one. There is no listing for a DVD release by Oscilloscope of LOS SURES on any database for which I have access. Do you have a source for this information? Thanks. BTW, the Films section of the Oscilloscope website has been down for at least three days now. Only the Store links work.
Last edited by davidhuxley on Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.