Twilight Time / Redwind

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Apperson

Re: Twilight Time / Redwind

#3651 Post by Apperson » Thu May 14, 2020 6:53 pm

I was just found my Tracking No. for my first SAE (of Peyton Place and Garden of Evil) and I found a message containing this:
Your item could not be delivered on May 14, 2020 at 11:47 am in UNITED KINGDOM due to payment of charges. It is being held while the addressee is notified.
As far as I'm aware I haven't otherwise been notified about this and have now applied for full e-mail updates on my SAE packages, is it something to worry about yet?

fdm

#3652 Post by fdm » Thu May 14, 2020 7:25 pm

I'm not a fan of SAE, I'd really be surprised if I ever had anything to do with them again.

TMDaines

#3653 Post by TMDaines » Fri May 15, 2020 6:08 am

Well it was a bad time to not browse the forum for a few weeks. I'd have liked to have picked up a couple of their Italian titles that are unlikely to be released elsewhere. La moglie più bella seems to be unavailable anywhere.

alacal2
not waving but frowning

#3654 Post by alacal2 » Fri May 15, 2020 12:01 pm

I'm not if its of any interest but I placed an order on May 12th (Cutter's Way, Pretty Poison and Peyton Place) with SAE and have just received an email to say its shipped today to France.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3655 Post by Drucker » Fri May 15, 2020 12:20 pm

If you go on Ebay and just type 'Twilight Time' you get a ton of sponsored products for decent prices and the buy it now option. The price is closer to pre-sale prices but shipping is free.

Edit: Ebay actually appears flooded with titles. Sometimes I peak at all of the OOP MOC discs on EBAY and that's another reason I'm holding off from buying big at the moment.

Grisbi

#3656 Post by Grisbi » Fri May 15, 2020 1:12 pm

I'm sure that no small number of online scalpers made up the buying market during this sale, and yes many of these should be available for some time at reasonable prices due to saturation. I expect that the newer titles which have already sold out at both TT and SAE (Peyton Place, the 3D titles) will probably see significant price increases sooner than later. If you can get those on the aftermarket for reasonable prices, now is probably the time to pull the proverbial trigger.

Apperson

#3657 Post by Apperson » Sat May 16, 2020 6:31 am

Apperson wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:53 pm
I was just found my Tracking No. for my first SAE (of Peyton Place and Garden of Evil) and I found a message containing this:
Your item could not be delivered on May 14, 2020 at 11:47 am in UNITED KINGDOM due to payment of charges. It is being held while the addressee is notified.
As far as I'm aware I haven't otherwise been notified about this and have now applied for full e-mail updates on my SAE packages, is it something to worry about yet?
Well, to my surprise my order of The Long, Hot Summer and No Down Payment arrived today without any customs charge despite being the same weight, price, and number of items.

Not sure why that's the case but I'll take it. (PP/GoE has now had its fee payed and is arriving on Monday)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3658 Post by swo17 » Sat May 16, 2020 10:06 am

Perhaps they opened your first package and determined that the films would corrupt you

L.A.

#3659 Post by L.A. » Sat May 16, 2020 1:33 pm

Adam Grikepelis wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:15 pm
I don't know what direction soundchaser's opinion of Glass Dolls sent you in, L.A., but I can absolutely recommend the film. I've got the Camera Obscura disc, so can't comment on the release, but the film itself is absolutely beautiful. It's not a giallo in the Argento/Fulci vein, but it's a wonderful mystery, with a great score and cinematography. I liked it far better the second time I saw it (possibly due to the restoration), and easily think of it as one of the better giallo around.

The Doll of Satan, I remember thinking it wasn't bad? I actually don't remember anything about it, which possibly isn't a good sign. If you need to spend the money, I don't think you'd be disappointed, but it obviously wasn't that memorable.
My conclusion of your and soundchaser’s opinion: the former is the one to go :wink:. Have completely forgotten about Camera Obscura, have they put out anything cool recently?

When my SAE order which I placed on May 3rd (took Beneath the 12-Mile Reef and Strange Invaders) arrives at my doorstep I’ll definitely take SNOGD and something else. Regarding my previous order, the tracking history shows:
May 8, 2020 at 10:29 am
Departed Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
FOLCROFT, PA 19032
Hopefully some progress later. [-o<

HinkyDinkyTruesmith

#3660 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Sat May 16, 2020 1:50 pm

I just received my order from SAE today, order placed on the 11th; it should be noted that on SAE's website, under my order, it still says "pending"––so, make of that what you will!

Ovader

#3661 Post by Ovader » Sat May 16, 2020 3:08 pm

Thanks to some recommendations in this thread I ordered from Screen Archives the following: INSERTS, THE HOT ROCK, THE FORTUNE COOKIE, MORITURI, SAYONARA, LA BAMBOLA DI SATANA (THE DOLL OF SATAN), NO DOWN PAYMENT, MY SISTER EILEEN and THE LONG, HOT SUMMER. Missed out on PEYTON PLACE so I ordered from an Amazon . ca seller in Quebec for a fair price before the prices increase to ridiculous levels as has happened to THE FORTUNE COOKIE from $59.99 to $101.74 CDN.

Telstar

#3662 Post by Telstar » Sun May 17, 2020 1:44 pm

If I pull the plug on Twilight Time's I Want to Live and then Eureka/MoC comes out with a better, cheaper edition a few months later does this site provide me with some sort of finders fee?

knives

#3663 Post by knives » Sun May 17, 2020 1:45 pm

Gifs of whatever Hepburn lite Domino is amused by at the moment.

knives

#3664 Post by knives » Tue May 19, 2020 4:50 pm

When we made our store closing announcement on Sunday May 10th, we could never have imagined the response from thousands of film collectors who have all come forward to place their final orders with us.

We are incredibly grateful for every one of your orders, and your support of Twilight Time to the bitter end.

As many of you have noted in the past two months, our ability to ship orders in high volume has been impeded by COVID-19. Our safety regulations limit our aisles to one picker per row, packing stations are 10’ apart with shields installed between stations and the team remains 6’ apart in all areas of the warehouse for both their protection and yours. This limits the number of staff we can have working and thus impacts the number of shipments we can process per day.

As a result of this huge, unexpected response with thousands of orders in the past week, our warehouse has informed us that it will take them a few weeks to fully catch up on shipments. We are now shipping 7 days a week which is allowing us to make headway and we'll continue this pace until all orders are shipped.

We ask for your patience and understanding while we work diligently to meet this unprecedented demand. Please note that responses from our support staff may also be slightly delayed as we are fielding a higher than usual number of inquiries at the moment.

Thank you

bluesforyou

#3665 Post by bluesforyou » Wed May 27, 2020 6:09 pm

Received my Screen Archives order today. I am surprised by the quality of the transfers compared to the screenshots I had seen. Some of the releases didn't even have reviews. They really should have done a better job marketing their products.

Ribs

#3666 Post by Ribs » Wed May 27, 2020 6:39 pm

TT always did a very good job with what they were given (some masters are better than others!) - it’s just that that job could have just as easily been done by a number of other labels for much less cost to the consumer. Which may be why they didn’t really amass a reputation for consistent quality the way other labels may have. :)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3667 Post by tenia » Thu May 28, 2020 3:17 am

They managed to get lots of new 2k or 4k restorations and to mostly stay away from old very dated masters (they relied on older masters for many releases, but they remained at least decent) but indeed made a relatively poor job at selling this. It even can be quite hard to know what's what since even the use of 4k restoratioks often isn't marketed at all on the releases. If you're lucky, the PR might precise it but that's it.
This means all you could see aside the movie was the steep price, the few places you could buy TT releases from and the overall limited set of extras.

I never understood why they wouldnt at least push much more the technical side of things, since it became, aside from the movies themselves of course, their main argument.

hearthesilence

#3668 Post by hearthesilence » Thu May 28, 2020 12:04 pm

I wonder how many employees (or contractors) they had compared with other labels? I don't have any insight into their operations beyond that as a consumer, but it felt like very few people doing most of the work on multiple fronts, particularly Nick Redman. Even if they could take on the work, it's not likely they could do every job well. It's commendable and understandably it would stretch them thin given how many titles they were licensing, but it also meant they were never going to solve many of these issues, not without more resources or personnel.

bluesforyou

#3669 Post by bluesforyou » Thu May 28, 2020 12:32 pm

How many people do they need to put information about the transfers on the covers or booklets?

However, they absolutely should have devoted more resources to their cover arts and better copy concerning the films. None of their releases seemed that appealing if one wasn't familiar with the film before hand. I blind bought titles during the sale that I never would have bought before hand.

hearthesilence

#3670 Post by hearthesilence » Thu May 28, 2020 12:59 pm

bluesforyou wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:32 pm
How many people do they need to put information about the transfers on the covers or booklets?
It wasn't the number of people so much as someone who knows how to package their products well just on a basic level.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3671 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:39 pm

Over three weeks since I placed my two orders with TT direct and still nothing. At what point do we all just cut our losses and file a PayPal or credit card complaint? It does not take over three weeks to ship in stock orders, I don’t care how many orders they claim they got, and they are obv not shipping them in the order received either

knives

#3672 Post by knives » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:49 pm

Yeah, I'm coming close to that point.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#3673 Post by soundchaser » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:50 pm

My three-item order finally shipped yesterday, so they are getting through them. I can only assume they decide what to ship when via a giant dartboard.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3674 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:02 pm

Probably one hell of a coincidence, but I just got shipping notice of one of my two orders! Complaining into the ether of the internet works, who knew

therewillbeblus

#3675 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:04 pm

I realize it's not 3 weeks (I'm still waiting on my TT order, no shipping notice), but even with the Kino sale my second order arrived last week yet my first order from a week and a half ago hasn't shipped yet and only got a preparation announcement once I emailed a few times back and forth over the week and got notified today, saying in a vague way that things are crazy for them at the moment. It seems like all these businesses are stressed right now (well duh), and I'm not sure what kind of procedures are in place legally or otherwise for COVID protection, but wouldn't be surprised if they affected the speed of operations significantly.

However, I agree that this length of time is insane and I also wouldn't be surprised if going slow on the clock is a natural incentive for people to get paid for more days til their layoffs go into effect- which I can't hardly blame them if that's the case.