Twilight Time / Redwind

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
therewillbeblus

Re: Twilight Time / Redwind

#3701 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:41 pm

I just received my order in the mail just now. Hands down the most banged-up cardboard box I've ever received, but the disc cases themselves aren't noticeably damaged.

Cronenfly

#3702 Post by Cronenfly » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:34 pm

Mine was practically hanging open from one side. Everything was accounted for but it was very sloppy.

Glowingwabbit

#3703 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:36 pm

Just got a shipping confirmation for my second order placed on May 11th. Still not a peep about my May 10th order. What madness!

fdm

#3704 Post by fdm » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:29 pm

I get the feeling my order from May 11th will finally be shipping sometime this month.

Ovader

#3705 Post by Ovader » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:46 am

Ordered nine blu-rays from SAE on May 16 and they arrived today to my Canadian address :)

CantelopeSkiz

#3706 Post by CantelopeSkiz » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:09 pm

I just got an email from Twilight Time saying that the order I made there on May 10th has finally shipped.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3707 Post by swo17 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:58 pm

Just got my shipping notification, supposed to arrive on Monday

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3708 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:44 pm

They just sent this out. The lethargy of these shippers is insane
Shipping: Between extremely high order volumes and Covid-19 restrictions imposed by the county our warehouse is located in we are experiencing extreme shipping delays. The bulk of our orders came in during the first two days of the sale. Based on current volumes, we should have all of these early orders shipped in the next two weeks and the remaining orders shipped the week after that. We sincerely appreciate your patience as we work through the order backlog!

therewillbeblus

#3709 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:52 pm

I'm holding onto my theory that these people are just trying to grasp at straws for work hours before hitting the unemployment lines.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3710 Post by swo17 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:53 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:44 pm
The lethargy of these shippers is insane
What makes you think there is more than one of them?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3711 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:04 pm

New regulations insist we can’t box more than one order every seventy five minutes

JakeStewart

#3712 Post by JakeStewart » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:52 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:44 pm
They just sent this out. The lethargy of these shippers is insane
Shipping: Between extremely high order volumes and Covid-19 restrictions imposed by the county our warehouse is located in we are experiencing extreme shipping delays. The bulk of our orders came in during the first two days of the sale. Based on current volumes, we should have all of these early orders shipped in the next two weeks and the remaining orders shipped the week after that. We sincerely appreciate your patience as we work through the order backlog!
As someone who’s had to work 60 hour weeks for two months straight due to huge order volume, maybe they really are very behind and doing their best to catch up?

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#3713 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:35 pm

Unacceptable! Do you have any idea how serious of a problem it is not be able to add another dozen movies to my backlog of several hundred?

fiddlesticks

#3714 Post by fiddlesticks » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:49 pm

Hope springs eternal: I just received a shipping notice for my May 11 (i.e. second day of the sale) TT.com order.

And oh by the way, I received my May 10 order, in an undamaged box with entirely undamaged contents, two days before the date promised in the shipping notice. I'll definitely order from them again! Wait, what's that? Really? You don't say! Never mind.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3715 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:52 am

I should mention that after my last cutting barb, my package shipped and was received in perfect condition. Once again, complaining on the internet wins!

fdm

#3716 Post by fdm » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:23 pm

fdm wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:29 pm
I get the feeling my order from May 11th will finally be shipping sometime this month.
I'd all but given up on them finally getting it out this month, but mailing label just created.

hearthesilence

#3717 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:35 pm

I'm pretty disappointed with the transfer on Melvin and Howard. The grain's there, but the details look a little crummy, especially when it goes to a medium or medium long shot with visible faces. It generally looks like an old HD transfer (like at least a decade old).

hearthesilence

#3718 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:54 pm

Fortunately Gloria looks wonderful - it's too bad there aren't any significant extras, but it's a beautiful transfer. I hadn't seen this in a very long time (before I ever visited NYC, much less lived there), and it was so late that I wasn't planning on watching more than 10 or 15 minutes, but I ended up staying awake and watched the entire film. Absolutely wonderful, and I appreciate the depiction of the city now that I've actually lived here for a while. (I used to live by that 7 stop outside of the flop house.)

It's wonderful seeing how Cassavetes and especially Rowlands work within the framework of a commercial genre film. The script implausibilities remain obvious but they did nothing to derail the film - if a mobster (or group of mobsters) just happens to be wherever they are, so be it, it's the interaction that really matters, not the particularities of how we got there. But generally, much of the appeal came from the way Gloria Swenson is depicted as an action hero and all the ways she departed from a typical '80s action star. I was reminded of something that was written about Indiana Jones, comparing that character with the non-professional teenager starring in the unauthorized fan-made remake, but it applies here as well. With a lot of action heroes, the threat is fairly limited and even non-existent. Someone like Indiana Jones is NOT going to die at the end of the movie. During the course of his adventures, there's only so much physical harm that is likely to be expected. That's obviously by design - they're meant to be fantasies and the heroes are supposed to be the people we want to be, experiencing the things the audience wants to experience. Those movies deliver the thrills, but it's got to be comfortable. Gloria doesn't have that comfort*, and the tension created by that makes those other films indulging in that comfort feel very tame in comparison.

SpoilerShow
This is especially true even in light of the happy ending. Cassavetes said he came up with the ending because he didn't want "the kid to suffer," which highlights the wishful fantasy inherent in happy endings. It may be happening, but he films it like a dream. At one point, in addition to the slow-motion he had it printed in black and white. Anyway, the choice recalls an early scene where Gloria tries to comfort Phil after his family's murder by telling him to pretend this is all a dream.

fiddlesticks

#3719 Post by fiddlesticks » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:05 am

Reaching out from the grave, TT sent out the following email tonight:
Store Closing Today
David: Today, Monday, July 6th will be the last day we will accept new orders for Twilight Time films. We will take orders up through midnight PT. Please note, orders will continue to ship after this date until all are fulfilled. More information can be found on our website. It has been our pleasure to serve you for the past five years.

New Coupon
In honor of our final day use coupon code FINI to save $10 off an order of $110 or more worth of Twilight Time Titles. This coupon may be stacked with the following automatic promotions:

Automatic Discounts for Bulk Orders: For all orders with over $100 in Twilight Time product (not counting shipping) there will be an automatic 10% discount applied. All orders over $200 will have an automatic 15% discount and all orders over $500 will have an automatic 20% discount applied. Interested in placing an even larger order? Please contact us about additional savings at support@twilighttimemovies.com. All orders must be placed by the end of the day.

New 10 for $100 Promotion: Click here to see all titles included in our 10 for $100 promotion

1940s Musical Bundle: Get Alice Faye in Hello, Frisco, Hello, and Betty Grable in Mother Wore Tights and Pin Up Girl for the bundle price of $21 when you purchase all three.

PLEASE NOTE: All orders placed during our closing week will take an estimated three to four weeks to ship and will not ship until after all orders previously placed have shipped.
Seems like one could put together a 10/$100, throw on an extra $10 worth of product, and get the whole lot for either $89 or $90, depending on the order the discounts are applied. Plus a shit ton for shipping. The challenge is finding enough titles to fill out such an order.

UPDATE: I found 11 from the 10/$100 list, many of them utterly blind, which came to $88.83 after discounts but before $17.49 shipping. Nets to $9.67 per disc, which I can live with. Now the waiting begins.

L.A.

#3720 Post by L.A. » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:39 pm

Finally got my SAE order (for Beneath the 12-Mile Reef and Strange Invaders) from May 3rd.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3721 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:00 pm

Hamilton Book sale info moved here

hearthesilence

#3722 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:34 pm

I'm still watching it, but I have to say, The Tall Men is quite a breathtaking example of how CinemaScope was perfect for cattle drives. It probably helps to be sitting closer to your screen just to get a better simulation of how it can fill your field of view, but the vista shots are extraordinary, particularly when it's filled with cattle, and the river crossing looks flat out amazing, especially the one shot that follows the horses across. Stuff like this never fails to knock me out when we're so accustomed to CG making things less expensive and more practical - the sheer number of horses and cattle packing the frame really can be something to behold. (EDIT: According to studio publicity released at the time, the 4,000 head of cattle assembled for the picture constituted the largest herd ever used for a movie.)

This is probably one of the better Clark Gable films I've seen, and even though he's really aged (he look's pretty worn in his close-ups), his presence is still very commanding. On the other hand, the stuff with Jane Russell feels pretty weak - it dominates much of the first half, which is the least interesting part of the film.

captveg

#3723 Post by captveg » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:13 pm

From Screen Archives Facebook:
Screen Archives Entertainment is very grateful to Twilight Time co-founders Brian Jamieson and the late Nick Redman for allowing us to continue the Twilight Time brand with two new selections to be announced soon. Mike Finnegan and others who help Brian and Nick produce the Twilight Time blu-rays were a first-rate team. We have been fortunate to secure Mike's services to ensure we match the earlier titles quality. We have changed the final package only slightly, as many of you will recognize the outstanding graphics of designer Jim Titus. We have additional titles in various stages of production now, and hope to accelerate our release schedule in the future. Even though we started with the last release under Brian and Nick, the lead time for the production of each blu-ray is several months, made even slower under COVID. There are many complexities involved in acquiring the materials, licensing, checks, double-checks, and rechecks regarding quality before authoring and compression. And captioning. Finally, we had to find a provider to press the discs and print in the quantity that we are licensed to produce. Many of you have suggested titles, so feel free to send any suggestions, ideas, or comments to info@screenarchives. We won't respond to every message, but it will be useful to hear from you

Ribs

#3724 Post by Ribs » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:58 pm

As if 2020 couldn’t get worse

captveg

#3725 Post by captveg » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:09 pm

I wonder if there are a few Fox titles they still have licensing rights to. That would be the best outcome, since Disney is unlikely to do anything with them.