Cohen Film Collection

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#701 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:59 am

I'll check it out, thanks for the recommendation!

nitin

#702 Post by nitin » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:17 am

L.A. wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:12 pm
Variety’s article on their major releases for 2022.
The article mentions that they seemingly have the rights to Patrice Leconte's Monsieur Hire so hopefully that's one of the 2022 releases!

hearthesilence

#703 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:52 pm

Does anyone have the Cohen Collection's Daughters of the Dust Blu-ray? I just got it and for some reason I can't get to the feature film. When I'm on the menu, the ONLY visible and selectable option is "EXTRAS" and nothing else. If I select "EXTRAS," I can't even backtrack to the top menu. If I let the menu play, it just loops the same clip reel over and over.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#704 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:12 pm

Sounds like the same problem some early Twilight Time discs had on certain players

hearthesilence

#705 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:35 pm

If it's player-related, that might help. I have another player, but I won't have access to it until next month.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#706 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:37 pm

It was on certain players for sure. You might try Googling it, I feel like the Blu-ray forums talked about it. I ran into it on my old modded player but I don’t remember what model I was using then

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#707 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:34 pm

Apparently Cohen's release of Le retour de Martin Guerre is a director's cut that removes at least ten minutes of footage from previous releases of the film. Anyone have any more info?

britcom68

#708 Post by britcom68 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:58 am

During the Wexner Center discussion last night, Tim Lanza of Cohen mentioned that although James Ivory was "curmudgeonly" at times, they were hopeful that a Merchant-Ivory boxset could happen. He did not formally announce this as forthcoming or already in the works.
Criterion's Lee Klein was in the same QandA panel and Klein said how, in his opinion, boxsets are a "nightmare" and are "five times the amount of work." Klein said that he himself nearly resigned from Criterion over the long struggle to make the Fellini boxset come to fruition.

dwk

#709 Post by dwk » Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:40 pm

I can see the Fellini set being a nightmare, as it has nearly as many licensors as films. A Merchant-Ivory set wouldn't have those issues as they share the same licensor.

Any UHD talk?

britcom68

#710 Post by britcom68 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:25 pm

Cohen's Lanza did not really discuss about UHD titles from Cohen or anyone else. He did not specifically talk about anything forthcoming titles at all and most of his comments on home-media were about working with Silver's daughter and son-in-law to get Hester Street ready for release.

dwk

#711 Post by dwk » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:31 pm

Thanks. I meant UHD talk in general (frankly I'm not sure Cohen has anything that would be sell enough to justify the costs of a UHD release.)

yoloswegmaster

#712 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:35 pm

Did any of the Arbelos, Criterion, or Cohem team members reveal any upcoming titles for their respective labels?

britcom68

#713 Post by britcom68 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:02 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:35 pm
Did any of the Arbelos, Criterion, or Cohem team members reveal any upcoming titles for their respective labels?
Not at all. None of the above even hinted at anything except for Lanza's remarks on a Merchant-Ivory boxset. I do not think anyone from Cohen (or even Kino) had officially responded to any rumors of a Merchant-Ivory boxset before last night. Of course the way he phrased things, it was not meant to state that a boxset was in progress already or even scheduled to begin work but rather that he is hoping that they can clear rights and get things organized for a set in the future but no timeline was discussed, no specs detailed on what could be carried over from the stand-alone titles already released and nothing more was discussed beyond that.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#714 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 22, 2022 8:47 am

Monsieur Hire coming later this year

JSC

#715 Post by JSC » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:56 pm

Jean Chapot's The Burned Barns on August 23
Jacques Deray's Symphony for a Massacre on August 30.

Anyone know what happened to Gang of Four... or all those other Rivettes?

therewillbeblus

#716 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:05 pm

That and Haut bas fragile are definitely coming, but I don't think anyone expected they'd be coming quickly. Maybe Cohen is priming them as 4K titles- but that's really just me looking for an exciting reason to make the wait worth it

senseabove

#717 Post by senseabove » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:29 pm

They released a trailer for the Gang of Four restoration tour last Summer, and there still hasn't been a peep about a BD release that I know of.

At this point, I'm just hoping that since the Cohen deal predates their acquisition of Curzon/Artificial Eye, they do not have the UK rights and someone has or will pick them up (Radiance, maybe?), then just do a Vol. 1/Vol. 2/Vol. 3 box set á la Arrow's Fassbinder sets as the restorations trickle out. At this point, there are five French discs that have 0 UK and 2 US counterparts.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#718 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:45 pm

senseabove wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:29 pm
They released a trailer for the Gang of Four restoration tour last Summer, and there still hasn't been a peep about a BD release that I know of.
Well, the tour itself hasn't actually happened yet. The Variety article linked earlier in the thread said both it and Love on the Ground would be 2022 releases. Cohen barely released anything theatrically last year, so my guess is they were over-optimistic about Covid or the personnel shakeup (they brought in a new head of Marketing and Distribution in October) messed up the schedule. But they already have theatrical releases planned through December and neither of the Rivettes are among them⁠—personally I'd rather they send them to video and take one-off bookings in lieu of a full theatrical tour if that's the only way we'll get them before 2023.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#719 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:28 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:39 pm
mfunk9786 wrote:
Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:05 pm
It'd be great to know who holds the rights to Entre Nous, and whether Criterion has considered putting it out. The old non-anamorphic Fox Lorber disc has been out of print for almost a decade and it still sells for way too much. It's a great film that's worthy of a quality release.

If this wasn't my first post on the forum, it was close to it. Anyway, 12 years later, it's all come full circle...
And Cohen, all these years later, is putting it out...

Finch

#720 Post by Finch » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:59 pm

Cohen titles off 50% through Kino

As per a Cohen rep on the other forum:

Rivette films, one per month beginning in January: GANG OF FOUR, LOVE ON THE GROUND, SECRET DEFENSE, and UP, DOWN, FRAGILE.

8/23 THE BURNED BARNS (1973) from a 4K restoration carried out by StudioCanal.

8/30 SYMPHONY FOR A MASSACRE (1963) from a 2K restoration from a 4K scan of the 35MM interpositive

09/06 ENTRE NOUS

9/27 KNIFE IN THE HEAD

Oct to Dec includes MONSIEUR HIRE, FELIX AND LOLA, and LOVE STREET, THE BALLAD OF THE SAD CAFE (1991), A FISH IN THE BATHTUB, and Raphael Silver films ON THE YARD and A WALK ON THE MOON.

L.A.

#721 Post by L.A. » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:08 pm

Knife in the Head is very much worth seeing, Bruno Ganz is terrific.

therewillbeblus

#722 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:13 pm

Finch wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:59 pm
As per a Cohen rep on the other forum:

Rivette films, one per month beginning in January: GANG OF FOUR, LOVE ON THE GROUND, SECRET DEFENSE, and UP, DOWN, FRAGILE.
Wow, excellent news- glad to hear we have street dates and that they're pumping four great films out so quickly!

senseabove

#723 Post by senseabove » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:59 pm

I'm glad they've announced something more specific, but given that we were also told, via Variety, that Gang of Four and Love on the Ground were coming "next year" in October 2021... I will believe it when there is a specific release date and I can place a pre-order. (And in the meantime, I'll continue hoping Radiance has picked these up.)

therewillbeblus

#724 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:17 pm

Is Cohen historically shifty regarding their stated release dates?

senseabove

#725 Post by senseabove » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:59 pm

When it comes to Rivette, yes. Hence me mentioning that in October '21 we were told Gang of Four and Love on the Ground would be out "next year," and now well over halfway into that "next year," we're being told those same two movies will be out... next year. Add in that, per original press releases, GoF was supposed to be the first title released of all the Rivettes and soundchaser said upthread that the Cohen rep told them in April '21 that GoF was "coming soon."