Vinegar Syndrome et al.

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
dwk

Re: Vinegar Syndrome

#426 Post by dwk » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:23 pm

Yeah that is one of them. I should say that a set isn't really rumored beyond Red Shirt Pictures' Michael Felscher saying on Deadpit's YouTube show that Lionsgate has discussed such a set.

M Sanderson

#427 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:46 am

Given what they’ve done with Warlock, Waxwork & Wishmaster, you’d say they’re being consistent.

I would definitely be in for this.

Would love to have a Hellman and Yuzna in one purchase!

Also, kind of wish Lionsgate would upgrade some of their Vestron titles to 4k UHD. Sometimes they’re using old masters for the Blu rays. Vinegar Syndrome have shown that even straight to video fare can benefit from the upgrade.

yoloswegmaster

#428 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:50 pm

The 4K UHD release for Censor has been cancelled and has been replaced by a deluxe bluray-only edition.

Adam X

#429 Post by Adam X » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:37 pm

While I’m personally waiting to see what Second Sight do with the film, I’d imagine that’s a little disappointing for them, being the first in their VS Pictures line.

dwk

#430 Post by dwk » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:55 pm

According to John Lyons, Censor's UHD was cancelled because
"As this is gonna come up again, the primary reason we weren’t able to do
UHD was because the film was mastered and finished in 2K SDR.

We had been hoping we could use the additional color information present
in the uncompressed master to create an acceptable HDR conversion, but
it proved too much of an impracticality."

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#431 Post by tenia » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:06 am

I have to say I wondered why this titles would be chosen for a UHD release precisely because it seemed to make little sense technically wise.

Orlac

#432 Post by Orlac » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:38 am

dwk wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:21 am
That is owned by Lionsgate, who might be doing a set of the Silent Night, Deadly Night sequels they own for their Vestron line.
Ah, Silent Night, Deadly Night 5...starring Mickey Rooney.

The same Mickey Rooney who said of the first film
The scum who made that movie should be run out of town.

MichaelB

#433 Post by MichaelB » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:23 am

tenia wrote:I have to say I wondered why this titles would be chosen for a UHD release precisely because it seemed to make little sense technically wise.
I saw it in the cinema and it didn’t exactly have “obvious 4K release” written all over it.

(I also thought that it was a substantial disappointment. A strong opening, and a hint in the final few shots that it was about to swerve into genuinely intriguing territory - a hope that the end credits swiftly quashed - but the rest was thoroughly meh. And after this and Saint Maud there really should be a moratorium on David Lynch-style soundtrack rumbling to denote a sense of dread; it’s become one of the laziest horror-film clichés.)

M Sanderson

#434 Post by M Sanderson » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:07 pm

Orlac wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:38 am
dwk wrote:
That is owned by Lionsgate, who might be doing a set of the Silent Night, Deadly Night sequels they own for their Vestron line.

Hellman, Yuzna & Rooney - some pedigree there, and reason enough to justify a Blu-ray set!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#435 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:29 pm

Orlac wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:38 am
dwk wrote:

I hope they use that as a pullquote!

Orlac

#436 Post by Orlac » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:23 am

I suppose Part 5 was "Van Johnson good" enough for him.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#437 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:33 pm

Vinegar Syndrome in their latest e-mail about their Black Friday releases mentions that the unannounced UHD/Blu is one of the "most infamous such films in its category". I'm guessing that the use of category is a deliberate reference to category III films. Hoping it is Ebola Syndrome or one of the numerous films by Billy Tang.

beamish14

#438 Post by beamish14 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:10 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:33 pm
Vinegar Syndrome in their latest e-mail about their Black Friday releases mentions that the unannounced UHD/Blu is one of the "most infamous such films in its category". I'm guessing that the use of category is a deliberate reference to category III films. Hoping it is Ebola Syndrome or one of the numerous films by Billy Tang.
I just bought a bootleg of Run and Kill, so you're all welcome.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#439 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:14 pm

VS is partnering with another (new?) label, “Saturn’s Core Audio & Video” for a Blu of Dupieux’s Au poste!

dwk

#440 Post by dwk » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:24 pm

They have released a few titles from Saturn's Core. Au poste! does sound a bit outside of SC's mission statement
Saturn's Core Audio & Video is a New Jersey based home video label devoted to releasing underground oddities and shot on video cinema on VHS, and now, blu-ray discs! In partnership with OCN Distribution, Saturn's Core will exhume forgotten or under-seen genre cinema from the 80s and 90s, with an emphasis on SOV horror features. Vinegar Syndrome’s sister company, OCN Distribution, is thrilled to be representing this diverse and unique home video line!

PfR73

#441 Post by PfR73 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:47 pm

Au poste! is from a different label, Dekanalog: "Dekanalog is a film and soundtrack distribution company dedicated to the release of the most unique filmmaking voices and musical scores from around the world. Vinegar Syndrome’s sister company, OCN Distribution, is thrilled to be representing this diverse and unique home video line!"

I'm thrilled for this release, it's my favorite Dupieux film I've seen. I just re-watched it on Tubi a couple months ago after watching Bertrand Blier's Buffet Froid for the first time and being reminded of Au poste! by the tone & setting. I was curious if Buffet Froid was a direct influence on Dupieux/Au poste! and sure enough.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#442 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:23 pm

Thanks for the correction, Blu-ray.com’s formatting on their news story was confusing

Glowingwabbit

#443 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:05 pm

Listened to Rachael Nisbet's insightful commentary on Nothing Underneath who talks about it being one of the first Gialli shot with live sound and since none of the principal cast were Italian it was actually recorded in English.

EddieLarkin

#444 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:14 pm

If that's the case, leaving the Italian dubs untranslated is not so unforgivable.

yoloswegmaster

#445 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:14 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:48 pm

Ebola Syndrome is another one on several of his lists that I could see it being as well.
You could be right as you can watch it on 4K Dolby Vision from iTunes .

Orlac

#446 Post by Orlac » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:10 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:27 pm
Glowingwabbit wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:18 pm
It's definitely too bad since even on back channels you can't find a copy with the Italian audio that also has English subs

But to be fair the Italian Audio is being treated as a special feature as they are emphasizing the English version in the press release.
I'm sure that's the exact reason they aren't offering any here: none exist. Which means hiring a translator and making a new set, which yes I'm sure is expensive but it's only what every other cult label would do in this scenario (well except maybe Severin, who pulled this exact bullshit with Devil Hunter, a film that has an horrendously crap English dub, which no one in their right mind would want to listen to over the native Spanish version).

And unless these two films were shot in English with live sound (which hey they may have, but I seriously doubt it), it's really not for VS to be calling the English tracks the "original" ones and treating the Italian tracks as mere extras.
I'm rather fond of Devil Hunter (a King Kong knock-off where Kong is just a naked black man - though Franco claims it's meant to be a Yeti) and it's a shame neither Severin nor 88 Films included a subitled Spanish option. And then the English dub is incomplete too!

L.A.

#447 Post by L.A. » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:15 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:30 am
Camille Keaton in Italy boxset (Madeline, Sex of the Witch, and Tragic Ceremony)
Mondo Digital.

yoloswegmaster

#448 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:54 pm

From the latest newsletter in regards to the 2 mystery titles:
And...of course...we know you're hotly anticipating our two Secret Surprise Titles, which will be unveiled when the sale goes live. Both of these are making their worldwide Blu (and in one case, UHD) debuts in glorious new restorations. We're chomping at the bit to share them with you, especially as one has never been seen in HD (let alone 4K) in its fully uncensored form; the other, another deep dive into the MGM vaults, has long languished in an incorrectly framed 15-20 year old cable master, an error we have dutifully corrected, and for which we've created an extensive new making-of doc, including fresh interviews with its director, producer, stars, and crew.

Plus, our two new VSA's are jam packed with action, stunts, and kick ass fighting. The first is a trilogy (saying anything more would give it away!) and the second a wild sci-fi/action hybrid.
For the mystery UHD title, has Ebola Syndrome or Seventh Curse ever been shown in its uncensored form in HD? I've seen it be said on the BR forum that the iTunes version of Ebola Syndrome is the cut version.

Thornycroft

#449 Post by Thornycroft » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:34 am

An uncut HD copy of Seventh Curse has turned up on Amazon Prime. Most speculation at the moment is pointing towards Ebola Syndrome, though I'm quietly hoping it's something else as I found that film to be too much unpleasantness with not enough payoff.

yoloswegmaster

#450 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:22 am

From an email sent by VS to subscribers: