Vinegar Syndrome et al.

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Vinegar Syndrome

#276 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:36 pm

Everyone just wants to make sure Lori Loughlin's legal defense fund is secure

PfR73

#277 Post by PfR73 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:45 pm

PfR73 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:12 pm
No, their releases of the Greydon Clark films Wacko and Uninvited were region-locked. Their recent release of Pale Blood states "Region A" on the website & cover, but it is actually region-free, which is almost certainly a mistake and was supposed to be Region A-locked, but who knows if any of the upcoming releases will have that same mistake.
Patty Hearst, Rad, Old Dracula, The Immortalizer, Blood Games, and The Severed Arm all state they are "Region A" only on the website & cover, but are actually region-free.

Party Line and the Amityville Cursed Collection are truly Region-A locked.

Rad is also sold-out now.

Grand Wazoo

#278 Post by Grand Wazoo » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:53 pm

PfR73 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:45 pm
Rad is also sold-out now.
I had read they pressed 12,000 copies. I never would have thought they'd strike gold with a Rad UHD, but here we are.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#279 Post by tenia » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:33 am

Grand Wazoo wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:53 pm
I never would have thought they'd strike gold with a Rad UHD, but here we are.
It's not just a UHD release though, but a UHD/BD release, and the only version VS sold (unlike Tammy and the T-Rex). It's very likely most people bought this for the BD (and the lenticular cover, I guess), not the UHD.

Slaphappy

#280 Post by Slaphappy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:10 pm

Absolutely loved Patty Hearst! Looked gorgeous too.

dwk

#281 Post by dwk » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:17 pm

VS announced that VSU is a line of UHD releases
VSU

VSU...You've probably been wondering what in the hell it means. We've seen some pretty wild and creative guesses but in anticipation of our Black Friday 2020 Flash Pre-order, coming this Friday, we think we need to kill the rumors and unveil the truth.

VSU = Vinegar Syndrome Ultra...as in UHD. Each VSU release will be an extra special edition UHD/Blu-ray combo pack, beginning with an internationally beloved early 80s, genre blending classic.

So you might be asking yourself "why another sub-label or spin-off?" Well, similar to VSA, these releases will not have a set frequency or yearly quantity. They'll happen as they happen. We have a couple more that we're working on, but no set plans for when they'll drop. However, just as significant, these titles might not 100% gel with the 'deeper cuts' and 'trashier' offerings many VS devotees expect and demand.

We want VSU to be a home for future RAD type titles. We saw an unexpected amount of diversity in responses to that release, ranging from excitement, to confusion, to disappointment. And we get it. Over our 8 years, VS has morphed and evolved to satisfy audience demands, while also trying to stay true to our original intention of being a home for genre films of all types (as long as they were shot on film) that were at the risk of being overlooked, forgotten, and lost, or that we simply decided needed love that they wouldn't get elsewhere. But not every film is for everyone. VSU titles are not, for the most part, going to be focused on sex and violence, which is not to say they won't include it. They're not necessarily going to be 'art' films or 'mainstream' movies either, but instead films that straddle and bend those lines a bit more than what's come to be expected with VS titles.

For subscribers (Yearly and those who picked up a Halfway package), the inaugural VSU release WILL BE INCLUDED in your subscription (and no matter what you thought of RAD, the pedigree(s) on this one should have you smiling from ear-to-ear).

Future VSU titles, whenever they might emerge, will not be included in future packages but subscribers will receive exclusive discount codes (as with VSA) if they choose to pick any up.
Last edited by dwk on Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boosmahn

#282 Post by Boosmahn » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:37 pm

How many (active) partner or sub-labels does Vinegar Syndrome have now? Archive, Ultra, Peekarama, AGFA, Fun City, and Utopia?

Ribs

#283 Post by Ribs » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:00 pm

I believe AGFA, Fun City, and Utopia aren't really sub-labels as distribution deals that don't really have any impact on their release schedule and they have relatively minimal involvement in.

It's interesting they seem to be positioning VSU titles to be more "normal" movies then the extremely niche mainline Vinegar Syndrome titles - it'll be interesting to find out what this title is that's apparently the biggest thing they've released yet. Again, it's extremely odd the way the economics seem to have worked out that releasing movies like Dial code Santa Claus on UHD is feasible and likely to sell out its first printing before release but studios and larger specialty labels still hold back on many of their biggest titles due to the economics of a full release.

It should also be noted that they've clarified there will still be UHD releases in the normal Vinegar Syndrome line (Dial code Santa Claus is one), just that this line is for what I take to be slightly more consumer friendly titles. One person's list of possible titles on Blu-ray.com included A Passage to India, which is extremely funny to me as a movie that's *extremely* not in keeping with the general curation going on at this label.

ianungstad

#284 Post by ianungstad » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:22 pm

Vinegar Syndrome also distributes titles for Xenon. Mostly blaxploitation titles.

smokes

#285 Post by smokes » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:43 pm

not sure how i feel about AGFA. on one hand i'm glad they're picking up some less known/distributed films (eg. the scare film archives) but on the other hand i'm not sure the format they release these films in does the quality any good. also, a majority of their releases have been TERRIBLE.

also, i've noticed vs picking up so many other labels to distribute means their own sub-label peekarama has been seeing less activity.

Cash Flagg

#286 Post by Cash Flagg » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:52 pm

Ribs wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:00 pm
One person's list of possible titles on Blu-ray.com included A Passage to India, which is extremely funny to me as a movie that's *extremely* not in keeping with the general curation going on at this label.
Unless there's an X-rated film with the same title!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#287 Post by tenia » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:55 pm

Ribs wrote:Again, it's extremely odd the way the economics seem to have worked out that releasing movies like Dial code Santa Claus on UHD is feasible and likely to sell out its first printing before release but studios and larger specialty labels still hold back on many of their biggest titles due to the economics of a full release.
It's probably a question of expectations and structural costs : VS will seemingly be happy and profitable selling, say, 5000 UHDs of Tammy & The T-Rex, but studios are seemingly unhappy and possibly not as profitable as they wished with similar figures.

pianocrash

#288 Post by pianocrash » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:09 pm

Cash Flagg wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:52 pm
Ribs wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:00 pm
One person's list of possible titles on Blu-ray.com included A Passage to India, which is extremely funny to me as a movie that's *extremely* not in keeping with the general curation going on at this label.
Unless there's an X-rated film with the same title!
Sadly, A Passage Through India (1999) was not shot on film ](*,)

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#289 Post by Buttery Jeb » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:26 am

And the first VSU release will be... Don Coscarelli’s The Beastmaster! Looks like they used an interpositive, after failing to track down the OCN.

Ribs

#290 Post by Ribs » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:13 pm

A real “I don’t know what I was expecting” of a pick. Ah well, never really been a label for me overall but hopeful some interesting options might pop up from this venture as sometimes do from the main line.

What A Disgrace

#291 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:20 pm

I hope Madman will be one of the titles they bump to 4K. Easily one of my favorite guilty pleasure slasher films, and definitely a title whose visuals are noteworthy.

Calvin

#292 Post by Calvin » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:29 pm

I was planning on finally picking up Liquid Sky, but it feels like a title that they might choose to upgrade to 4K...

smokes

#293 Post by smokes » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:00 pm

Buttery Jeb wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:26 am
And the first VSU release will be... Don Coscarelli’s The Beastmaster! Looks like they used an interpositive, after failing to track down the OCN.
love the packaging. might actually pick this up despite remembering the film as being pretty medicore (maybe i have a different opinion after watching it again and in glorious HD)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#294 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:45 pm

Their teased 80s slasher release is the massively overrated Fade to Black. Here's my writeup
domino harvey wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:17 pm
Fade to Black (Vernon Zimmerman 1980) Lonely movie lover loses his mind after a Marilyn Monroe lookalike stands him up for a date, proceeds to kill everyone who's ever wronged him via films he's seen-- He Widmarks his elderly aunt down a flight of stairs, Lugosis a prostitute, Cagneys a pompous Peter Fonda-type, &c. The elements are there for this to be a great self-reflexive treat, but then again, the same could be said for Last Action Hero. And this one's more of that school-- poorly thought-out and not nearly as clever as its premise, this just isn't a very good film. Minor points awarded for the sick joke of the protagonist slipping his Marilyn Monroe lookalike a constant stream of pills in the finale, though.

L.A.

#295 Post by L.A. » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:18 pm

L.A.

#296 Post by L.A. » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:07 pm

We regret to inform everyone that Blu-ray #2 of The Beastmaster had a manufacturing related issue (the UHD and Blu-ray #1 are fine). Our replicator has re-pressed the affected Blu-ray disc, and beginning tomorrow, all Black Friday order shipments will contain the fixed disc.

Customers that received the faulty Blu-ray disc will be sent a replacement disc AUTOMATICALLY. Replacement discs will begin shipping out late December. There is no need to contact us.

We are putting additional steps in place with our disc replicator to hopefully prevent this issue from happening again in the future. Thank you all for understanding!

~ Team VS

Ribs

#297 Post by Ribs » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:48 pm

The following titles will be going out of print soon:

Disco Godfather
Dolemite
Human Tornado
Petey Wheatstraw
Penitentiary
Penitentiary II
Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song
Welcome Home Brother Charles / Emma Mae

I think it’s pretty likely Sweet Sweetback is Criterion (re)bound, but in case the others are of interest to anyone (their store is still down from Black Friday).

SSF

#298 Post by SSF » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:30 am

Ribs wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:48 pm
The following titles will be going out of print soon:

Disco Godfather
Dolemite
Human Tornado
Petey Wheatstraw
Penitentiary
Penitentiary II
Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song
Welcome Home Brother Charles / Emma Mae
Just curious where you’re finding this info?

dwk

#299 Post by dwk » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:57 am

I dont know where it originated, but someone from VS confirmed that info (that the deal with Xenon is expiring) on the Blu-ray.com forum.

Calvin

#300 Post by Calvin » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:12 am

It's a shame that they've went the entire duration of the deal without releasing Bakshi's Coonskin. A bit strange too, as I seem to recall it was the one name checked alongside Sweetback way back when they first announced it.