Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#3876 Post by tenia » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:00 pm

6 audio commentaries on The Rules of Attraction if you count the joke one with Carrot Top. The 5 main commentaries also combine 17 commentors !

The Fanciful Norwegian

#3877 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:28 pm

There's a rather obscure Canadian slasher called Dark Forest that somehow has eight commentaries, though one of those is on an alternate cut.

feihong

#3878 Post by feihong » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:49 pm

tenia wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:00 pm
6 audio commentaries on The Rules of Attraction if you count the joke one with Carrot Top. The 5 main commentaries also combine 17 commentors !
I remember really enjoying the Carrot Top commentary, a lot more than the other commentaries.

Maltic

#3879 Post by Maltic » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:49 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:00 pm
I can't help but wonder what the new commentaries can add. very curious what the approaches are on each
Of course, more than 2 books/articles have been written about ToE, more than 2 lectures have been given on it and so on, but yeah, I wouldn't want to be the one to follow Feeney and Naremore/Rosenbaum here

MichaelB

#3880 Post by MichaelB » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:12 am

When Johnny Mains and I were hired to record a commentary for Signal One’s Nightmare Alley, we ummed and aahed about whether or not we should listen to the Alain Silver/James Ursini one (this was the first time either of us had been asked to record a commentary for a film where there was already another one out there), before mutually agreeing that we wouldn’t. I was just too worried about the possibility of unconscious plagiarism, and Johnny felt the same way.

So while it wouldn’t surprise me if there was a hefty information overlap, the info should at least be delivered in a completely different way.

Finch

#3882 Post by Finch » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:12 pm

I don't care how many commentaries they slap on Touch of Evil, I just want them to do proper QC and not fuck up picture and sound one way or the other. Can anyone tell who did the authoring on Misery?

captveg

#3883 Post by captveg » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:38 pm

A handful of titles added to the While Supplies Last continuous sale:

Bad Company (1995)
City of Fire (1979) (Scorpion)
David & Lisa (1962) (Scorpion)
Dogs (1976) (Scorpion)
Fort Massacre (1958)
Hidden Fear (1957)
Raw Courage (1984) (Scorpion)
Whoever Slew Auntie Roo? (1972)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3884 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:39 pm

Fort Massacre is an underrated gem, if anyone needs a filler title for their order

willoneill

#3885 Post by willoneill » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:08 pm

Thankfully they included those of us in America Jr.

agnamaracs

#3886 Post by agnamaracs » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:43 pm

It looks like they added a bunch of stuff to the winter sale.

Including, annoyingly enough, Female Vampire, which I just got a shipping confirmation for.

](*,)

captveg

#3887 Post by captveg » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:05 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:39 pm
Fort Massacre is an underrated gem, if anyone needs a filler title for their order
Thanks. Grabbed it with a couple others.

captveg

#3888 Post by captveg » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:57 pm

More OOP based on previously being in the "While Supplies Last" sale and now no longer appearing on the website:

D.O.A. (1988) (BD) (DVD previously OOP)
The Depatie/Freleng Collection Vol. 2 (1972-1978) (DVD) (BD still available; BD/DVD individual releases still available)
The Young Savages (1961) (BD) (DVD previously OOP)

EDIT: KL Insider has clarified that The Woman in the Window BD is merely out of stock at this time and not yet OOP.

FrauBlucher

#3889 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:14 pm

Insider on announcements...
TV movie for Saturday and a 4KUHD one for Sunday

yoloswegmaster

#3890 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:07 pm

High Plains Drifter is the next title to receive a 4K UHD release.

Finch

#3891 Post by Finch » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:10 pm

I bought their BD last month. You're all welcome.

Ribs

#3892 Post by Ribs » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:23 pm

I mean, they basically had told us it was coming because it was the only high profile 70s Universal title with a 4K master and we knew something fitting those descriptors was being added to their deal. Similarly how they added a 4K upgrade of a 70s MGM title they had previously done which seems extremely likely to be Pelham 123.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3893 Post by domino harvey » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:14 pm

L.A. wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:41 pm
Coming November 2nd on Blu-ray & DVD!

The Mad Doctor (1940)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian David Del Valle
• Theatrical Trailer
• Optional English Subtitles

90 Minutes B&W 1.37:1 Not Rated
Death Lurked in His Hypnotic Eyes! In the nerve-jangling thriller The Mad Doctor, the great Basil Rathbone (The Black Sleep, The Comedy of Terrors) is Dr. George Sebastian, a smooth and sinister physician who woos, weds and murders several of his wealthy women patients for their fortunes. Aided by his demented manservant (Martin Kosleck, House of Horrors), he sets up a Park Avenue psychiatry practice and effects an apparently miraculous cure for troubled heiress Linda Boothe (Ellen Drew, Isle of the Dead), whom he makes his fourth wife. Can the suspicious Dr. Downer (Ralph Morgan, Strange Interlude) and Linda’s ex-fiancé Gil (John Howard, The Undying Monster) foil Sebastian’s schemes and save Linda before it’s too late? Rathbone is splendid as the diabolically debonair doctor in this psychological chiller from director Tim Whelan (The Murder Man, The Thief of Bagdad) and cinematographer Ted Tetzlaff (My Man Godfrey, Notorious).
I didn't think this was very good (it's a creaky early bite at the anti-psychology noir apple set at a glacial pace), but it does have the most blatantly gay coupling I have ever seen in a studio era film. Like, calling it subtext is like calling Rathbone being a therapist subtext for being a therapist. Every last scene of Rathbone's jealous assistant plays exactly the same as it would if you filmed it now and called them lovers, from their first scene together right down to the assistant getting outed at the end via getting noticed by some loudmouth he hooked up with some drunken night in the past. No changes would be necessary to differentiate it. Again, this doesn't make it a good film, but I was really stunned that it was so obvious, and I don't remember the film coming up in discussions or documentaries on this topic.

FrauBlucher

#3894 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:37 am

The Bank Dick... Bluray.com…Looks pretty sweet

captveg

#3895 Post by captveg » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:10 pm

More OOP based on previously being in the "While Supplies Last" sale and now no longer appearing on the website:

A Lady Takes a Chance (1943) (BD) (DVD previously OOP)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3896 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:51 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:57 pm
Another Siodmak film coming in November, Deported (1950). I haven't seen it. Any takers here?
Watched this last night, it's okay but very slight and unlikely to ever be something I'd need to see again. Some interesting halfhearted attempts at social consciousness ala coopting the burgeoning neorealism movement (big Decision Before Dawn energy), but this thing really falls apart in the last act. Highlights are Marina Berti's bad girl who looks like the A+ lab creation of Elaine Stewart X Pier Angeli and whoever played the slimy low-rent local black market honcho-- there's a thirty second scene late in the action between these two that hints at a much better film, as does the comic relief scene wherein said honcho tries to send a coded telegram and can't stop arguing with the Western Union guy who thinks it's too wordy. Get me a time machine and make me a studio head and I could fix this with little effort: More grace notes like those and less of the predictable noir/social commentary aspects (and fire Claude Dauphin)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3897 Post by swo17 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:08 pm

C'mon, we all know you would break time by introducing Gossip Girl gif technology before the world was ready for it

captveg

#3898 Post by captveg » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:21 pm

Blown Away (1994) (DVD) (BD previously OOP)

FrauBlucher

#3899 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:03 pm

hearthesilence

#3900 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:09 am

Interesting - it's almost like much of the fog effect over the film has been "lifted" so to speak. I do recall the film looking foggy when I saw it projected in 35mm, and while I'm tempted to say it was more like the previous HD master, I didn't post any notes about it and it's been too long to trust my memory.