Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
agnamaracs

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#3326 Post by agnamaracs » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:45 pm

And the cycle begins. "The titles are there, you're just too ignorant to read them!"

beamish14

#3327 Post by beamish14 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:35 pm

I'm getting really tired with their utter incompetence and laziness.

mhofmann

#3328 Post by mhofmann » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:44 pm

I *almost* ordered this yesterday, now very glad I didn't. Waiting for a replacement program... but yeah, let's see if KINO are that customer savvy. :)

captveg

#3329 Post by captveg » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:06 pm

Universal likely sent them a textless master and no one was familiar enough with the film to realize that.

----

More OOP based on previously being in the "While Supplies Last" sale and now no longer appearing on the website:

China Moon (1994) (BD) (Had previously gone OOP before returning)

FrauBlucher

#3330 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:14 pm

agnamaracs wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:45 pm
And the cycle begins. "The titles are there, you're just too ignorant to read them!"
Lucky for him that the bluray.com site is down

hearthesilence

#3332 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:27 pm

It's stunning how they keep having problems with one title after another.

Roscoe

#3333 Post by Roscoe » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:41 pm

Shades of the SPIES/WOMAN IN THE MOON Aspect Ratio Fiasco of a few years back. Don't hold your breath for anything like a replacement program.

captveg

#3334 Post by captveg » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:32 pm

I believe someone on blu-ray.com stated that the digital version from MGM is also missing this audio (at least that's my recollection before the site went down), so MGM would have to do something about it. Kino is unlikely to force their hand.

As we've seen over the years with budget 3rd party labels, they are reliant on the providing company to not have inherent errors in their materials they deliver, as they have no substantive investment in QC that would have familiarity with the films they are licensing in order to discover these issues before release.
hearthesilence wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:27 pm
It's stunning how they keep having problems with one title after another.
It's not, unfortunately. The profit margins are so thin these days that QC is a luxury. Even the major studios have cut back dramatically on QC.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3335 Post by Drucker » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:32 pm

I interviewed several people recently for a piece I've written that generally tackles this subject. I learned that there was an audio effect missing on every home video edition of Don't Look Now until the recent 4k. It was only corrected because Nicolas Roeg observed the error while viewing the new restoration, which then led to fetching an original release print from the Paramount vaults where they discovered he had been right.

ChunkyLover

#3336 Post by ChunkyLover » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:59 pm

When it comes to audio, labels will just generally use whatever the studio supplies and/or uses audio from an old master instead of doing a new scan of the best surviving sound element.

PfR73

#3337 Post by PfR73 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:08 pm

captveg wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:32 pm
Kino is unlikely to force their hand.
As I've gotten this type of excuse first-hand from labels multiple times (re: Twilight Time's Love Is a Many Splendored Thing having an audio drop-out and Heaven & Earth being an upscale with visible jaggies, Shout Factory's Red Dawn missing the chronological month captions, KL's The Interpreter having dissolves where there should be straight cuts), you're probably right that they'll just throw up their hands and blame the studio, but what I can't understand is why these labels don't have it in their contracts that the studios are required to provide them error-free materials, and if an error is discovered, then the studio has to correct it.

andyli

#3338 Post by andyli » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:30 pm

If they are ever going to fix this and offer a replacement program, could they also fix the audio commentary? I listened to it the other day and apparently the person who recorded the comments left the background sound (the audio of the film itself) on, and when Kino placed the track onto the video stream they left a mismatch of timestamp (for about 1 second). Normally I wouldn't mind this, but since the recorder left the background sound on, you get to hear the background sound twice in very short interval just like a weird echo effect. Very uncomfortable.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3339 Post by Drucker » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:42 am

Good the Bad and the Beaver. Dare I say...this looks pretty great?

hearthesilence

#3340 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:34 pm

Check out Clint's sun-scarred face in all its glory!

Jesus, I hope the audio's fine, because it looks like they may slammed this out of the park - crossing my fingers, because I've been planning on getting this.

Maltic

#3341 Post by Maltic » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:24 pm

Apparently, there was quite a lot of fan involvement in preparing this release (albeit fans with some relevant professional background)... i.e. KL listened.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3342 Post by tenia » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:00 pm

The color corrections look way more convincing than whatever they tried to do for their previous BD release. I hope they fixed the extra features encodes, though.

PfR73

#3343 Post by PfR73 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:15 pm

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3344 Post by Drucker » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:23 pm

Beaver review also indicates that the new 4k disc includes a blu-ray with the new color timing.

black&huge

#3345 Post by black&huge » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:23 pm

I was going to pass because of the no HDR but then I saw those beav caps and figured even if it's a 4k I'm perfectly fine owning at as a blu-ray if that makes sense but the actual blu that comes with it has the new resto. Either way I should just own this and put in my preorder right after seeing the review.

Did KL ever give an official reason why no HDR was applied? and this is gonna be a very open question but for those more technically inclined and giving your best guess given how the caps look... how much better do you think it could/would have looked if given HDR?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3346 Post by Drucker » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:29 pm

The basis of the restoration was done in 2014, was there even HDR at that time?

Ribs

#3347 Post by Ribs » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:56 pm

There is no HDR master available and Kino was not in a financial position to create one. I wish Kino didn’t create this hostage situation of “we’re not sure there’s enough interest to release titles in 4K” and then cheaping out on stuff like that so I need to either send the signal I’m not interested in 4K or that I am perfectly happy for them to so a SDR release which I don’t think is a good precedent to set.

Nevertheless, I got both Spaceballs and this direct from Kino bc I’m so sick of them complaining the demand isn’t there and will plan to do the same at release for their announced titles at least so as to vote with my dollar.

flyonthewall2983

#3348 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:12 pm

tenia wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:00 pm
I hope they fixed the extra features encodes, though.
I asked this on their Facebook poll a few months ago, and they said yes. Rather snarkily so, I might add.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#3349 Post by cdnchris » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:15 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Rather snarkily so, I might add.
I mean, are you all that surprised?

black&huge

#3350 Post by black&huge » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:24 am

Ribs wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:56 pm
There is no HDR master available and Kino was not in a financial position to create one.
Maybe they should stop buying up licenses in bulk to release mediocre blu-rays and focus more on fewer but quality releases :lol:

but hey at least TGTBATU looks good for what they had