Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

Milestone, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild...they're all here.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#3301 Post by tenia » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:14 am

They're also now trying to shift the blame to Arrow despite KLI having said Kino had access to both masters and that he was "pretty sure they could tell the difference".
If the story in the statement is true, KL actually never got access to both masters, so what difference could have they perceived ?

Also, I was under the impression MGM had performed additionnal color corrections over the 4k master, so why would the culprit lie on Arrow sending their 4k master since it wouldn't contain the MGM color corrections ?

MichaelB

#3302 Post by MichaelB » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:31 am

I am more than happy to believe that they received a mislabelled file, although the jury appears to be out on who mislabelled it.

hearthesilence

#3303 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:20 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:31 am
I am more than happy to believe that they received a mislabelled file, although the jury appears to be out on who mislabelled it.
Is this a real liability issue? If they need to replace or re-press stock that's already been manufactured, I imagine this is causing an enormous argument over who's paying the bill.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3304 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:24 pm

If Kino's bothering to do it, I imagine that means they aren't footing the bill

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3305 Post by tenia » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:38 pm

MichaelB wrote:I am more than happy to believe that they received a mislabelled file, although the jury appears to be out on who mislabelled it.
I'm quite certain KL knows who sent what and where exactly the wrong file got sent. I'm just unsure if what KLI detailed puts the blame exactly where it should be, or if it's just because it's a bit complicated to read for an outsider and I'm reading it wrong.

As it reads, since it says "the UK label apologies", it looks like Arrow (or the UK authoring house, god knows what they're doing in there) sent the wrong master to the studio, but again, if MGM was supposed to do additionnal color correction, should whatever Kino released at least have different colors compared to the older relevant release ?

I'm also unsure about the whole "we received confirmation that the correct file was used, the new file included the word arrow and the master featured the new studio logo which was not on the previous master", since the older master was the one with the more modern studio logo.

Again, based on the timeline and details disclosed by KLI, I still have no idea what happened, what they received, what they checked, who sent the wrong file and who received it.
Last edited by tenia on Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

captveg

#3306 Post by captveg » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:42 pm

Added today to the "While Supplies Last" sale, meaning once they're sold out they are OOP:

Aspen Extreme (1993) (BD & DVD)
The Magnetic Monster (1953) (BD)
Navajo Joe (1966) (BD & DVD)
Steele Justice (1987) (BD & DVD)

captveg

#3307 Post by captveg » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:40 pm

More OOP based on previously being in the "While Supplies Last" sale and now no longer appearing on the website:

A Bullet for Joey (1951) (BD) (DVD still available)
D.O.A. (1988) (BD) (DVD still available)
Gone Fishin' (1997) (DVD) (BD had previously gone OOP)
Navajo Joe (1966) (BD) (DVD still available)
Night Angel (1990) (BD) (DVD still available)
Rolling Vengeance (1987) (DVD) (BD had previously gone OOP)

EDIT: KL Insider says he's "pretty sure" D.O.A. is just out of stock. (I do wish they made things clearer on their website about these things). EDIT 2: It has indeed returned to availability on the website. Night Angel BD is also back in stock.
Last edited by captveg on Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

deathbird

#3308 Post by deathbird » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:36 pm

captveg wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:40 pm
KL Insider says he's "pretty sure" D.O.A. is just out of stock.
"It's the Arrow transfer. Thread closed."

hahahaha

captveg

#3309 Post by captveg » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:09 pm

More OOP based on previously being in the "While Supplies Last" sale and now no longer appearing on the website:

Drum (1976) (BD)
The Falcon and the Snowman (1985) (BD) (DVD still available) (BD was recently OOP for a while before some stock was located)
Last edited by captveg on Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

captveg

#3310 Post by captveg » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:31 pm

Dimension 5 (1966) (BD) (DVD still available)

captveg

#3311 Post by captveg » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:26 pm

Beggars of Life (1928) (BD) (DVD still available)
Delirious (1991) (BD) (Had briefly returned after being presumed OOP a few months back)

captveg

#3312 Post by captveg » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:20 pm

Truck Turner (1974) (DVD) (BD had previously gone OOP)

L.A.

#3313 Post by L.A. » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:11 pm

Coming to Blu-ray June 8th from Kino Classics and the Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau Stiftung!

The Woman One Longs For (1929)
Starring Marlene Dietrich
Directed by Kurt Bernhardt

Marlene Dietrich for years insisted that The Blue Angel (1930) was her screen debut, when in fact she was catapulted to fame by this silent drama of 1929, which fits neatly among the visually dynamic and emotionally dark melodramas of Josef von Sternberg and G.W. Pabst. Uno Henning stars as a young businessman whose plans of marriage are interrupted when he becomes entranced by a haunting young woman (Dietrich) who seems to be the victim of a monocled sadist (Fritz Kortner). Like Dietrich, director Kurt Bernhardt would emigrate to the United States and enjoy a long career making films based around strong female characters, including Possessed (Joan Crawford), A Stolen Life (Bette Davis), and Miss Sadie Thompson (Rita Hayworth). Restored in 2012 by the Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau Stiftung, this edition is accompanied by a spectacular original orchestral score by Pascal Schumacher.

Special features:
*Audio commentary by film historian Gaylyn Studlar
*Orchestral score by Pascal Schumacher in 5.1 Surround and 2.0 stereo
*Optional English subtitles

L.A.

#3314 Post by L.A. » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:02 pm

Coming July 20th on Blu-ray & DVD!

Thunderbolt (1929)
• Audio Commentary by Film Critic Nick Pinkerton
• Trailers
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

From Josef von Sternberg, the legendary director of The Blue Angel, Morocco, Dishonored, Shanghai Express and Blonde Venus, comes this Pre-Code proto-noir that mixes electrifying thrills with torrid romance. Condemned gangster Thunderbolt Jim Lang (George Bancroft, Old Ironsides) plots revenge on the young man (Richard Arlen, Beggars of Life) who stole his girlfriend (Fay Wray, King Kong) and landed next to him on death row. Featuring script work by Charles Furthman (Underworld) and Jules Furthman (The Big Sleep) with Hollywood greats Herman J. Mankiewicz (Citizen Kane) and Joseph L. Mankiewicz (All About Eve), Thunderbolt is an emotional drama renowned for its pioneering use of early sound technology, expressionistic visuals and bold blending of genres.

Maltic

#3315 Post by Maltic » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:27 pm

That's fitting, since Pinkerton also did Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

captveg

#3316 Post by captveg » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:47 pm

Making Contact (1985) (BD) (DVD still available)
The Missouri Breaks (1976) (BD) (DVD still available) (Had sold out before, but returned briefly)

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#3317 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:33 pm

I’ll patiently wait for the Indicator release of Thunderbolt. I think Nick Pinkerton is an excellent writer, but the few commentaries I’ve heard by him have been so-so, so I’m curious out the Indicator release will be. I previously saw this years ago on a VHS rip, so looking forward to a proper HD scan.

captveg

#3318 Post by captveg » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:32 pm

Lisa (1990) (BD)

L.A.

#3319 Post by L.A. » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:16 am

Coming July 20th!

The Plainsman (1936)
• Audio Commentary by Film Critic and Author Simon Abrams
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

From Cecil B. DeMille, the iconic director of The Sign of the Cross, Union Pacific, Reap the Wild Wind, Unconquered and The Ten Commandments, comes this classic western starring screen great Gary Cooper (Beau Geste, High Noon) as legendary gunman Wild Bill Hickok. Teaming up with his lover Calamity Jane (Jean Arthur, A Foreign Affair, The More the Merrier), as well as Buffalo Bill Cody (James Ellison, The Undying Monster), Hickok helps to pacify the frontier in a period of immense change for the Old West. At the same time, behind the scenes, we see the political decisions undertaken by President Lincoln (Frank McGlynn Sr., Captain Blood) that gradually shape America in the period after the Civil War. Charles Bickford (The Big Country) and Anthony Quinn (The Ox-Bow Incident) round out the superb cast in this sweeping epic packed with thrilling action, powerful drama and spectacular set pieces.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3320 Post by Drucker » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:25 am

Really loving the love DeMille is getting. When I first bought MOC's Cleopatra I loved it, and was quickly disappointed in how few of his films seemed available on blu ray at the time, especially considering what I perceived to be his stature. So I've been picking all of these up.

Glowingwabbit

#3321 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:57 pm

L.A. wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:16 am
Coming July 20th!

The Plainsman (1936)
• Audio Commentary by Film Critic and Author Simon Abrams
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

From Cecil B. DeMille, the iconic director of The Sign of the Cross, Union Pacific, Reap the Wild Wind, Unconquered and The Ten Commandments, comes this classic western starring screen great Gary Cooper (Beau Geste, High Noon) as legendary gunman Wild Bill Hickok. Teaming up with his lover Calamity Jane (Jean Arthur, A Foreign Affair, The More the Merrier), as well as Buffalo Bill Cody (James Ellison, The Undying Monster), Hickok helps to pacify the frontier in a period of immense change for the Old West. At the same time, behind the scenes, we see the political decisions undertaken by President Lincoln (Frank McGlynn Sr., Captain Blood) that gradually shape America in the period after the Civil War. Charles Bickford (The Big Country) and Anthony Quinn (The Ox-Bow Incident) round out the superb cast in this sweeping epic packed with thrilling action, powerful drama and spectacular set pieces.
If they're gonna mention The More the Merrier in their press release I hope they plan to release it. I'm enjoying all these Jean Arthur releases and hoping for that one. The Talk of the Town would be nice too.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3322 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:10 pm

That's with Sony, which I don't think KLSC currently has a relationship with?

captveg

#3323 Post by captveg » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:52 pm

Cadillac Man (1990) (BD)

captveg

#3324 Post by captveg » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:26 pm

Night Angel (1990) (BD) (DVD still available) (Had sold out before, but returned briefly)
Queen of Blood (1966) (BD)
Star Crystal (1986) (BD) (DVD still available)
To All a Goodnight (1980) (DVD) (BD had previously gone OOP)
War-Gods of the Deep (1965) (BD) (DVD still available)

EddieLarkin

#3325 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:28 pm

Calvin wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:35 am
The Kino March Madness Sale has started.

Between this and the Warner Archive sale starting tomorrow, I've decided to try out Stackry to reship them to the UK. It would be easier if they just offered international shipping but alas.
Thanks for the recommendation Calvin! I purchased 18 titles from the WAC and 18 from Kino, paying about £7 for each one. Shipping and consolidation through Stackry was about £30. I did falsify the customs note to keep things under £135, and sure enough it got through customs with no questions asked (clearly no one cares about stuff below this amount anymore, instead just assuming all shops are charging 20% at checkout). So in total I paid less than £8 a disc. Even during a DeepDiscount sale a UK importer can expect to pay double that. I look forward to the next Criterion Flash Sale, where I expect to get a bundle of US exclusive Criterions for around £16 each, which is a huge saving considering what it costs to get a US Criterion to the UK these days (£25-£30 easy).