Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

Milestone, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild...they're all here.
Professor Wagstaff

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2726 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:02 pm

Hell, I remember thinking that when I saw Camp Nowhere as a kid and I was at a single-digit age.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2727 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:16 pm

I can’t imagine anyone was in danger of watching it, but here’s my writeup from the Youth List Project
domino harvey wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:04 pm
Camp Nowhere has a premise that makes my skin crawl: a bunch of kids decide to form their own camp and run it themselves, with some light supervision from a former drama teacher turned Easy Cheese salesman, played by a slumming Christopher Lloyd. Remarkably, these kids don’t kill each other or starve or spontaneously create a new Larry Clark film. This movie is so confused that it casts a thin and appealing young girl as the “fat girl” (and as a result she is the butt of several jokes that seem lost in translation regardless of the language being spoken), and an equally appealing smart and likable guy as the allegedly socially-poisoned “geek” protagonist who nevertheless is able to organize, run, and finagle the entire con, all the while leading his fellow kids, who follow his words and plans. Yes, that certainly sounds like a loser.

therewillbeblus

#2728 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:26 pm

I just remember disliking it when I was a kid, back when films with premises like these were dreams come true (Blank Check, anyone?) so if a child-me is snoozing over materializing the power to overcome adults, I'm not too keen on revisiting it.

L.A.

#2729 Post by L.A. » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:29 pm

L.A.

#2730 Post by L.A. » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:39 pm

Since these German classics are coming, suppose we might see Jud Süß? Who on earth has the final say whether this can be released?

What A Disgrace

#2731 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:02 pm

I'm hoping for some German Sirk films, myself. A fairly glaring omission in my own cinematic education.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#2732 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:13 pm

L.A. wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:39 pm
Since these German classics are coming, suppose we might see Jud Süß? Who on earth has the final say whether this can be released?
The Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Stiftung owns the copyright for most Nazi-era films, including Jud Süß. The foundation's board of trustees has classified it a as Vorbehaltsfilm, meaning it's not to be distributed (though they have held a screening of the film with an accompanying introduction and discussion). Altogether there are about forty Vorbehaltsfilme, including Hitler Youth Quex, Kolberg, and The Rothschilds. Jud Süß' copyright status in the U.S. is ambiguous, as a print was seized by the U.S. military and designated as "enemy property"; that copy is now in the National Archives and appears to be the source of the unauthorized versions floating around. But given how often Kino works with the FWMS, it's unfathomable that they would release a title from their catalog without authorization, even if there were no legal obstacles to doing so.

Calvin

#2733 Post by Calvin » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:22 pm

Hopefully Kino releases the new restoration of Käutner's Under the Bridges that FWMS put out in Germany, as that release doesn't have subtitles as far as I can make out.

whaleallright

#2734 Post by whaleallright » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:21 pm

Under the Bridges is probably my favorite Nazi-era film; it would constitute a major rediscovery, if it were given an opportunity to be rediscovered (outside of Germany, that is). Käutner is a fascinating figure. His legacy has been somewhat cursed in that he first arrived (and made some of his very best films) in the Nazi period, even though those films are about as far from propaganda as it was possible to be at the time (that is, pretty far). Käutner was a devotee of Hollywood comedies and melodramas, and during the war he made requests for prints of American films that would have been verboten in German cinemas (IIRC among them were Wellman's Lady of Burlesque, Stahl's Our Wife, and Clair's I Married a Witch). He was a true cinephile and, after the war, stayed on top of contemporary currents—some of his later films show the influences of European new waves. But he wasn't embraced by those later generations of filmmakers (and critics) and he has kind of disappeared to the margins of film history....

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2735 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:13 am

Its announcement apparently escaped my attention, but Wake Island is coming to Blu-ray in August!

swo17

#2736 Post by swo17 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:26 am

Also Tender Mercies!

yoloswegmaster

#2737 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:00 pm

Kino is announcing a Cary Grant set tomorrow, and they've already revealed that 'Wedding Present' will be a part of it.

Glowingwabbit

#2738 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:26 pm

Maybe it's for licensing reasons but I do hope they can break up these sets individually down the road. They're really just cheap boxes with individual titles in them and the selection has been all over the place for most of them.

CantelopeSkiz

#2739 Post by CantelopeSkiz » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:47 pm

I wouldn't mind if their sets were a little larger, maybe five films, but lately it seems as though they're trending towards mostly doing sets of three. With a set of five films, if there's a movie I'm not interested in, it's not a that big of a deal. However, in sets of three, a single dud can really drag down a set for me.

Ribs

#2740 Post by Ribs » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:49 pm

The idea of doing these box sets is in half for that reason: so you’re spending money for a title you wouldn’t spring for otherwise. The other half is just to appeal to whatever demented people are searching for Deanna Durbin and, being fans, decide to pick up an easily marked set labelled as the Collection (the inexplicable first of three!)

As someone who’s been kind of cold on Kino in general I think the KLSC line has really had an astounding 2020 between the Universal and SC titles and other than the Deanna Durbin set(s) there’s not a single one of these three movie boxes I don’t want to get. I like the format, even if I understand why it’s maybe a little consumer unfriendly. But these movies probably wouldn’t sell well enough to work as their own so it makes sense to me.

beamish14

#2741 Post by beamish14 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:08 pm

Has KL said anything about the release date of Ladybug, Ladybug? It's been a year since they announced it was forthcoming shortly.
Are they waiting to tie it in with Diary of a Mad Housewife?

senseabove

#2742 Post by senseabove » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:38 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:00 pm
Kino is announcing a Cary Grant set tomorrow, and they've already revealed that 'Wedding Present' will be a part of it.
The other two in the set are Ladies Should Listen and Big Brown Eyes

captveg

#2743 Post by captveg » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:34 pm

captveg wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:29 pm
For those not keeping track of the While Supplies Last list, it seems the following BDs have sold out and are officially OOP:

Camp Nowhere (1994) (DVD still available)
Solarbabies (1986) (DVD still available)
To All a Goodnight (1980) (Scorpion) (DVD still available)
The Wicked Lady (1983) (Scorpion) (DVD still available)
More sold out titles:

Cotton Comes to Harlem (1970) (DVD still available)
Face to Face (1967) (DVD still available)
House on Sorority Row (1983) (Scorpion)
The Skull (1965) (DVD still available)
Welcome to L.A. (1976)

L.A.

#2744 Post by L.A. » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:54 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2745 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:52 am

So Evil My Love, the gender-bending Noir with Ray Milland as the male femme fatale, coming from the Universal deal

Glowingwabbit

#2746 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:06 pm

Officially announced and I can't wait!
Coming 9/29!

LOVE ME TONIGHT (1932)
• Brand New 4K Master
• Audio Commentary by Historian Miles Kreuger
• Chevalier Sings "Louise"
• MacDonald Sings "Love Me Tonight"
• Screenplay Excerpts of Deleted Scenes
• Production Documents & Censorship Records
• Theatrical Trailer

Speakeasy

#2747 Post by Speakeasy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:53 pm

The KL Insider said they are working on another Francesco Rosi title ( Lucky Luciano isn't coming until 2021) that's not The Mattei Affair.

With Criterion announcing Christ Stopped at Eboli, Illustrious Corpses seems to be the most logical guess.

Calvin

#2748 Post by Calvin » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:01 am

Coming September 29th!

The Kiss Before the Mirror (1933)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Alexandra Heller-Nicholas
• Trailers
• Optional English Subtitles

B&W 69 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
From James Whale, the legendary director of Frankenstein, The Old Dark House, The Invisible Man, The Bride of Frankenstein, Show Boat and The Man in the Iron Mask, comes this daring drama with a touch of the macabre starring Nancy Carroll (Broken Lullaby), Frank Morgan (Fast and Loose), Paul Lukas (The Lady Vanishes) and Gloria Stuart (Titanic). When Walter Bernsdorf (Lukas) kills his wife for having an affair, lawyer Paul Held (Morgan) takes on the case. Suggesting that Walter could be acquitted by means of temporary insanity, Paul not only realizes that this defense may work but that also some of the behavioral patterns Walter’s wife showed in regard to her infidelity are appearing in his own wife, Maria (Carroll). Paul realizes that if this defense could work once, it might work a second time. The Kiss Before the Mirror is a riveting pre-Code thriller beautifully shot in glorious black-and-white by the great Karl Freund (The Last Laugh, Metropolis, Key Largo).
Great to see someone releasing some James Whale. Hopefully By Candlelight isn't far behind

Adam X

#2749 Post by Adam X » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:57 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:08 pm
Has KL said anything about the release date of Ladybug, Ladybug? It's been a year since they announced it was forthcoming shortly.
Are they waiting to tie it in with Diary of a Mad Housewife?
They're both coming 13th October.

therewillbeblus

#2750 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:29 pm

Perhaps I'm late to the party, but does KL have a history of misprinting parts of their packaging? The back of my copy of Daddy Long Legs has all correct info except it says the film is only 91 minutes and from the year 1972. I had a mild anxiety attack that this was some strange remake I had never heard of, before realizing the error was not mine