Grasshopper Film

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
FrauBlucher

Grasshopper Film

#1 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:43 pm

Grasshopper Film looks like a new player in world cinema, art house and documentaries.

On their twitter page they indicated they will be releasing Asghar Farhadi’s Fireworks Wednesday (2006) on physical media later this year. Hopefully that means bluray.
Last edited by FrauBlucher on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrasshopperFilm

Re: Grasshopper Films

#2 Post by GrasshopperFilm » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:32 pm

Hello everyone,

We're excited to be here!

Check out our site to see what we're up to - http://www.grasshopperfilm.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - and feel free to post questions, comments, queries here. We'll always respond.

We launched earlier this year, so most of the films currently in theatrical release will be coming to DVD, BD, and VOD later this year. We're also working on some special BD rep releases and sets, which we'll have news on in the coming months.

And lastly, check our our blog, Transmissions. It's located on our site here: http://grasshopperfilm.com/transmissions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks!

What A Disgrace

#3 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:11 am

I'll be keeping my eye on this label for sure. Possible Blu-ray releases of some of these films is an absolutely mouth watering prospect.

FrauBlucher

#4 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:02 pm

Grasshopper Launches Home Video Label:
Bluray.com wrote:Grasshopper Film announced today the launch of a home video label dedicated to releasing acclaimed and award-winning independent, foreign and documentary films on Blu-ray and DVD. The label will release 8-12 titles per year, including Grasshopper's theatrical releases, straight-to-video titles, and films from other distributors.

The first releases include: Asghar Farhadi's "Fireworks Wednesday" (available on DVD January 24, 2017), Robert Greene's "Kate Plays Christine" (available on DVD January 31, 2017), Laura Israel's "Don't Blink - Robert Frank" (available on DVD February 14, 2017), Bi Gan's "Kaili Blues" (available on Blu-ray and DVD February 28, 2017), Hong Sangsoo's "Right Now, Wrong Then" (available on Blu-ray and DVD March 28, 2017), Benjamin Crotty's "Fort Buchanan" (available on DVD April 11, 2017).

All releases will be presented in deluxe Blu-ray and DVD editions featuring high quality transfers and original supplements. More details on each release will be made available soon.

To celebrate the launch of the label, all Blu-rays and DVDs will be on sale for pre-order at 40% off retail price for one week only beginning today at http://www.grasshopperfilm.com/athome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and ending at midnight on 11/28/16.

Launched earlier this year, Grasshopper Film is a new independent distribution company. Upcoming theatrical releases include Pietro Marcello's "Lost and Beautiful," Oliver Laxe's Cannes Critics Week winner "Mimosas," Zhao Liang's "Behemoth" and Eduardo Williams' "The Human Surge."

What A Disgrace

#5 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:03 am

Hong Sangsoo on Blu-ray. Freaking finally.

I know what I want for my birthday.

zedz

#6 Post by zedz » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:15 am

What A Disgrace wrote:Hong Sangsoo on Blu-ray. Freaking finally.

There have been a large number of Hong Blus released in Korea (with English subs), though not this one yet. Probably about eight of his features, from memory.

sabbath

#7 Post by sabbath » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:15 am

zedz wrote:
What A Disgrace wrote:Hong Sangsoo on Blu-ray. Freaking finally.

There have been a large number of Hong Blus released in Korea (with English subs), though not this one yet. Probably about eight of his features, from memory.
Eleven, actually. All with English subtitles.

- The Day a Pig Fell into the Well
- The Power of Kangwon Province
- Virgin Stripped Bare by Her Bachelors
- Turning Gate
- Woman Is the Future of Man
- Night and Day
- Oki's Movie
- The Day He Arrives
- In Another Country
- Nobody's Daughter Haewon
- Our Sunhi

TIVOLI

#8 Post by TIVOLI » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:01 pm

Are you sure Woman is the Future of Man came out in Blu-ray? How did I miss it?

joshua

#9 Post by joshua » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:30 pm

TIVOLI wrote:Are you sure Woman is the Future of Man came out in Blu-ray? How did I miss it?

Here is one on Ebay. I'm pretty sure it is OOP now.

TIVOLI

#10 Post by TIVOLI » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:20 am

Yes, I did miss it. Thanks.

GrasshopperFilm

#11 Post by GrasshopperFilm » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:41 am

Hi everyone,

As posted above, our launch sale is underway. All our current blu-rays and DVDs can be found here: http://grasshopperfilm.com/athome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please don't hesitate to email us with any questions at info@grasshopperfilm.com.

We'll be posting details for each of the releases, including packaging art and special features, in the days/weeks ahead. And we'll have news on new BD & DVD releases soon as well.

Thanks.

lzx

#12 Post by lzx » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:20 am

The trailer for Fireworks Wednesday on their website looks pretty much like how I remember seeing it in the cinema earlier this year. I guess the source materials they have aren't good enough for a Blu-ray release.

AlexHansen

#13 Post by AlexHansen » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:31 pm

Hope the Lav Diaz titles are among the upcoming releases!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#14 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:46 pm

Oh, it looks like these guys have Guerín's excellent new film, Academy of Muses. I thought I might have only dreamed it existed!

lzx

Re: Grasshopper Film

#15 Post by lzx » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:36 am

Looks like all their releases have been delayed. Their first Blu-ray title, "Kaili Blues", won't be out until April 11.

What A Disgrace

#16 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:18 am

I'm pretty sure that was the original release date. I've already received Fireworks Wednesday and Kate Plays Christine.

Aunt Peg

#17 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:14 am

What A Disgrace wrote:I'm pretty sure that was the original release date. I've already received Fireworks Wednesday and Kate Plays Christine.
What's the quality like of Fireworks Wednesday?

I have a DVD from years ago that looks like a video dupe. Just want to make sure I'm upgrading to something better.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#18 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:03 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:I'm pretty sure that was the original release date. I've already received Fireworks Wednesday and Kate Plays Christine.
The original release date for Kaili Blues was March 14th, and Right Now, Wrong Then (now set for 4/25) was originally due on March 28th. I'm guessing it's just down to these being Grasshopper's first BD releases.

Ovader

#20 Post by Ovader » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:36 pm

On their FB Page: "Pedro Costa's CASA DE LAVA. On Blu-ray and DVD. 11/14/17."

FrauBlucher

#21 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:48 pm

Ovader wrote:On their FB Page: "Pedro Costa's CASA DE LAVA. On Blu-ray and DVD. 11/14/17."
Here is the preorder

javi82

#22 Post by javi82 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:24 pm

Is there anywhere else to order Grasshopper titles from that doesn't charge $9 to ship one disc within the US?

Oedipax

#23 Post by Oedipax » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:37 pm

There was a $3.96 First Class shipping option when I pre-ordered just now.

javi82

#24 Post by javi82 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:47 pm

Oedipax wrote:There was a $3.96 First Class shipping option when I pre-ordered just now.
Thanks. I alerted them to the issue via Twitter, and they already corrected what must have been incorrect data. Sorry for the false alarm.

What A Disgrace

#25 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:24 am

Moses and Aaron on November 28, DVD and Blu-ray.

There are no specs on the website yet, but Grasshopper's Facebook confirms that the release will include short films.