Kino

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
TMDaines

Re: Kino

#3226 Post by TMDaines » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:00 am

EddieLarkin wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:46 am
TMDaines wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:29 am
Just to confirm, is it safe to make multiple orders under £15 at once, without them then being combined and then getting sprung for RM handling charges and tax?
Yes, definitely. In fact no matter what you order there is no chance of an RM handling fee or any other custom fees because all of their stock is already in the EU.

They used to not charge the 20% VAT at all and were a VAT free safe haven, until HMRC cottoned on to what they were doing (importing bulk stock into the EU) and threatened to shut them down unless they started adding VAT at checkout for anything over £15. Other VAT safe sellers like moviemars and allyourmusic got the same warning I believe, and have largely disappeared as UK sellers as a result.
Ah. Yes. I've used all these before and noticed how they were reshipped from inside the UK.

It's going to be interesting to see how Amazon adapts to Brexit with its European stores. In theory it shouldn't make any difference with them as they already automatically charge you the UK rate of VAT, so if they handle the logistics still it means no RM fees. It's going to be a pain with other smaller European retailers though.

Adam X

#3227 Post by Adam X » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:44 pm

Well, if they chose to go the route they took with Australia (& subsequently New Zealand), they'd stop shipping to the UK altogether. But that's more likely related to how our government handled it than the situation itself.

L.A.

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#3228 Post by L.A. » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:07 pm

Coming to Blu-ray November 24th from Kino Classics and Lobster Films!

THE JEWISH SOUL: Ten Classics of Yiddish Cinema
Five-Disc Set

During its heyday in the late 1930s, Yiddish movies covered a broad range of genres: comedies, soap operas, the supernatural, literary adaptations, musicals, and Lubitsch-style romances. Unified through language, gesture, and a common cultural sensibility, they captured the essence of the Jewish soul. Comprised of both the essential films (The Dybbuk, Tevya) and the lesser-known programmers (The Yiddish King Lear, Motel the Operator), this five-disc set captures the diversity of Yiddish film, and encourages a better appreciation of this most fascinating, but rarely-viewed genre. The ten features in this collection were restored by Lobster Films, the result of an unprecedented collaboration between the Museum of Modern Art, the Deutsche Kinemathek and the Filmoteka Narodowa in Warsaw. Each film has been newly translated by noted Yiddish actor (the Coen Brothers’ A Serious Man), playwright and translator Allen Lewis Rickman.

Disc One:

THE DYBBUK
Poland 1937 B&W 123 Min.
Directed by Michael Waszynski
Produced by Zygmunt Mayflauer
From the play by Sholom Ansky
With Avrom Morewski, Ajzyk Samberg, Mojzesz Lipman, Lili Liliana

MIR KUMEN ON (Children Must Laugh)
Poland 1938 B&W 61 Min. Documentary
Directed by Aleksander Ford

Disc Two:

AMERICAN MATCHMAKER
U.S. 1940 B&W 85 Min.
Produced and Directed by Edgar G. Ulmer
With Leo Fuchs, Judith Abarbanel, Judel Dubinsky, Anna Guskin

OVERTURE TO GLORY
U.S. 1940 B&W 82 Min.
Directed by Max Nosseck
Based on the play by Mark Arnshtein
With Moyshe Oyster, Florence Weiss, Maurice Krohner, John Mylong

Disc Three:

TEVYA
U.S. 1939 B&W 92 Min.
Directed by Maurice Schwartz
Based on a story by Sholom Aleichem
With Maurice Schwartz, Miriam Riselle, Rebecca Weintraub, Paula Lubelski

THE YIDDISH KING LEAR
U.S. 1935 B&W 84 Min.
Directed by Harry Thomashefsky
Produced by Johnnie Walker and Jack Rieger
Production Supervisor Joseph Seiden
From the play by Jacob Gordon
With Maurice Krohner, Fannie Levenstein, Jacob Bergreen, Miriam Grossman

Disc Four:

HER SECOND MOTHER
U.S. 1940 B&W 84 Min.
Directed by Joseph Seiden
Written by Izidor Frankel
With Esta Salzman, Max Badin, Rose Greenfield, Margaret Schoenfeld

MOTEL THE OPERATOR
U.S. 1940 B&W 87 Min.
Based on the play by Chaim Tauber
With Chaim Tauber, Seymour Rechzeit, Jetta Zwerling, Jacob Zanger, Maurice Krohner

Disc Five:

ELI ELI
U.S. 1940 B&W 88 Min.
Written by Izidor Frankel
With Max Badin, Esther Field, Izidor Frankel, Lazar Freed

THREE DAUGHTERS
U.S. 1949 (completed 1961) B&W 87 Min.
Based on the play by Avraham Blum
With Charlotte Goldstein, Michael Rosenberg, Esta Salzman, Sacha Shaw

EXTRAS:

*THE DYBBUK: Audio commentary by J. Hoberman. Alternate 99-minute version.
*AMERICAN MATCHMAKER: Audio commentary by Eve Sicular. Alternate version with 1940 subtitles.
*OVERTURE TO GLORY: Audio commentary by Allen Lewis Rickman.
*TEVYA: Audio commentary by Allen Lewis Rickman.
*HER SECOND MOTHER: Audio commentary by Allen Lewis Rickman. Alternate version with 1940 subtitles.
*ELI ELI: Alternate version with 1940 subtitles.
*Printed booklet including essays by journalist and historian Samuel Blumenfeld, film preservationist Serge Bromberg and Yiddish cultural historian Allen Lewis Rickman
*Theatrical trailer
*Limited edition slipcase

knives

#3229 Post by knives » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:14 pm

Too bad it features Ulmer’s weakest Yiddish film. Maybe that means that we’ll be getting more editions.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3230 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:16 pm

noted Yiddish actor (the Coen Brothers’ A Serious Man), playwright and translator Allen Lewis Rickman
If you're wondering who this is, he's in the chilling opening scene

What A Disgrace

#3231 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:59 am

The end of the year is bringing out several of the year's best discs. What a treasure trove. I wonder why this wasn't given the "Pioneers" label?

whaleallright

#3232 Post by whaleallright » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:26 pm

It seems like a more modest project, with fewer archive and scholarly collaborators* -- and another difference is that these aren't among the earliest Jewish-themed/Jewish-made films in existence; they're all sound-era films, after all.

In a sense this is a much-expanded and -improved version of Lobster's DVD set Trésors du cinéma Yiddish, made for the French market.

The National Center for Jewish Film at Brandeis has restored many Jewish films and released a few on DVD, including about half of those on the Kino/Lobster set. I wonder if the provenance is different or if they worked with the NCJF.

*Would any scholar let them get away with the cringey bit of ballyhoo "captured the essence of the Jewish soul"? As a Jew, I say, "Whaaaa?"

Calvin

#3233 Post by Calvin » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:16 pm

I've watched all three of Kino's recent István Szabó releases over the past couple of days and can't recommend them enough. Confidence was the only one I had seen previously, via Second Run, and this is a massive upgrade. 'Remembrance of production designer József Romvári' is a really heartfelt extra, directed by Romvari's grandaughter it's a montage of clips from the three films alongside production drawings and home video footage. Istvan Szabo narrates, through what sounds like a telephone conversation with Sophy Romvari. Sadly, we don't get any interviews with Szabó otherwise. This extra and 'The Central Europe of István Szabó', which feels like its destined to (or already has) play before Szabó picks up a lifetime achievement award somewhere are duplicated on all three releases. They are all Region A-locked; I'm not sure if Kino has a locking policy like Criterion, but I'm pretty sure Second Run's Hungarian releases have been region free.

There's a recent DVD-only Hungarian box set that also has new restorations of Father, Hanussen and Taking Sides with more extras than the Kino releases that appears English-friendly but is, as I say, DVD-only.

What A Disgrace

#3235 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:10 pm

Hopefully a Netflix deal could eventually lead to Kino releasing The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, ideally on 4K. Absolutely dynamite production, cancelled after only one season.

L.A.

#3236 Post by L.A. » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:42 pm

Outside the Law (1920) @ Beaver

Curious to know is this really A-locked. Uncle Tom’s Cabin (1927) is region-all, tested it on my PS4 and played fine.

L.A.

#3237 Post by L.A. » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:27 pm

L.A. wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:42 pm
Outside the Law (1920) @ Beaver

Curious to know is this really A-locked. Uncle Tom’s Cabin (1927) is region-all, tested it on my PS4 and played fine.
Now Drifting / White Tiger (both from 1923).

colinr0380

#3238 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:06 am

Interesting to see the Jewish Soul set. Tevye was the film that a 17 minute long excerpt was included from on the very first Treasures From American Film Archives set released all the way back in 2000. It will be good to finally have a chance to see the whole film! Here's the write up from the accompanying book of programme notes written by Scott Simmon:
Scott Simmon in the Treasures From American Film Archives book wrote:Tevye, a contentious masterwork within the little-known U.S. Yiddish-language cinema, re-created the nineteenth century Ukraine on a 130-acre potato farm near Jericho, Long Island in the summer of 1939. Produced by Harry Ziskin, co-owner of the largest kosher restuarant in Times Square, Tevye had a seventy-thousand dollar budget, tiny by Hollywood standards but lavish compared to the sixteen-thousand dollar average for Yiddish features in the thirties. With its professional look and full orchestration, Tevye had high aspirations.

The on-screen title awards possessive credit to the celebrated Russian Jewish author of the Teyve the Dairyman stories as: "Sholem Aleichem's Tevye." Father of seven troublesome daughters, Tevye was Aleichem's best known character, the much beset voice of eight monologues published between 1895 and 1914. The film's guiding auteur, however is director Maurice Schwartz (1890-1960), who also plays the title character and wrote the screenplay based on his 1919 stage success with his Yiddish Art Theater. Two of Tevye's daughters in the Aleichem stories - one who elopes to Siberia with a revolutionary and another who marries a Christian - are combined in the film's Khave (played by Schwartz's neice, Miriam Riselle). In the relatively self contained excerpt seen here - which begins about fifteen minutes into the film - the conflicts are generational (father versus daughter), political (tradition versus the thought of Tolstoy and Gorky), and religious. This last clash between Jews and Christians makes Tevye rare even in Yiddish cinema. While by convention the village priest and Khave's Christian sweetheart speak fluent Yiddish, the two characters' broad accents are part of the satire.

The film plays out - in scenes not included here - in a way to demolish Khave's youthful optimism about religious tolerance and ethnic harmony. Not long after her Christian wedding, the pogrom predicted by Tevye arrives: the now widowed Tevye has to flee the village; Khave abandons her husband and throws herself in front of her father's wagon. Reluctantly, he allows her to join him on the road to Palestine. One must wait for the Hollywood musical version, Fiddler on the Roof (1971), for an assimilationist ending, in which Tevye reluctantly blesses his daughter and her Christian husband before departing with his wife for America.

Tevye's Christian characters, all threatening or slightly dim-witted, provoked outcries in the U.S. Yiddish press: Morgn Frayhayt lamented the "cheap Jewish chauvinism" in scenes it called "insulting - not for the goyim but rather for the dignity of a Yiddish film and Jewish artists". Still, there's an uncompromising point of view here, possible only in American independent cinema. Back in 1936, Schwartz had proposed filming in Poland, but producer Joseph Green recognised that the intermarriage subject would be impossible given that country's rising anti-Semitism. There is also something prescient and chilling in the 1939 filming of the final scene excerpted here, when Tevye argues with his daughter about whether their Christian neighbours could ever join a persecution of the Jews. Because the production ran a few days over schedule, Leon Liebgold, who plays Khave's husband, Fedya, was forced to delay his Atlantic crossing to look into the situation of his Polish family. In the event he couldn't leave America at all. Before the film wrapped, Poland had been invaded by Hitler.
(I should note that Fiddler on the Roof's ending has never really struck me as being truly 'assimilationist', as the daughter marrying out of the faith is still abandoned to the looming shadows of the Third Reich whilst the rest of the family escape to the new world. So she is implied to be on course to get the most extreme form of ironic comeuppance for committing her transgressions. Its the main reason why I am not too fond of that film but is an interesting twist on the ending of this earlier film as described in the write up above! I am not entirely sure which one sounds the worse of the two, but both do not appear to treat the daughter character very well)

The Pachyderminator

#3239 Post by The Pachyderminator » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:09 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:06 am
(I should note that Fiddler on the Roof's ending has never really struck me as being truly 'assimilationist', as the daughter marrying out of the faith is still abandoned to the looming shadows of the Third Reich whilst the rest of the family escape to the new world. So she is implied to be on course to get the most extreme form of ironic comeuppance for committing her transgressions. Its the main reason why I am not too fond of that film but is an interesting twist on the ending of this earlier film as described in the write up above! I am not entirely sure which one sounds the worse of the two, but both do not appear to treat the daughter character very well)
But Chava and her Christian husband are also moving away at the end of Fiddler on the Roof. (IIRC, it didn't say where they were going.) Also, the Third Reich is thirty years in the future at that time, so regarding it as implied "comeuppance" for the events of the story feels like a stretch to me.

EDIT: Actually, apparently they go to Poland, which, yeah, was not the best place to be while the Nazis were in power. But this is still happening c. 1905.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3240 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:44 pm

Kino will be releasing the 1930 exploitation film / hoax Ingagi, which I'd never heard of but was apparently a huge commercial hit and the history of it all makes it sound interesting-- the Federal Trade Commission actually banned it from being shown!

L.A.

#3241 Post by L.A. » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:55 pm

From these Kino / Something Weird offerings on Blu, there are like seven or eight available I think. Which are worth getting?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3242 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:21 pm

Anything by Dwain Esper. I also like Tomorrow's Children and Child Bride

Saturnome

#3243 Post by Saturnome » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:55 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:44 pm
Kino will be releasing the 1930 exploitation film / hoax Ingagi, which I'd never heard of but was apparently a huge commercial hit and the history of it all makes it sound interesting-- the Federal Trade Commission actually banned it from being shown!
Crazy! I did a comic about it two years ago for 24 Images, a film magazine here in Quebec. All I had were the Vitaphone discs on YouTube and some bits of footage, and judging from that I doubt the film can be any better with the complete footage. I never thought it would surface.

kompromiss

#3244 Post by kompromiss » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:32 am

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:44 pm
Heard about this film just recently, while listening to the commentary on the "Murders in the Rue Morgue" disk from MoC.
Charles Gemora, "the King of the Gorilla Men", played the Gorilla in these two films, as well as in dozens of others.

L.A.

#3245 Post by L.A. » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:30 am

swo17 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:21 pm
Anything by Dwain Esper. I also like Tomorrow's Children and Child Bride
Interesting choices, thanks.

nitin

#3246 Post by nitin » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:19 am

Kino will be releasing Martin Eden.

Ribs

#3247 Post by Ribs » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:19 pm

nitin wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:19 am
Yes, for whatever reason they seem to like releasing films that Kino Lorber distributes.

Aunt Peg

#3248 Post by Aunt Peg » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:53 am

nitin wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:19 am
Thanks Nitin.

I didn't know that Kino had the US rights to Martin Eden. Interesting film well worth seeking out.

Kino release so much stuff I often find myself missing some of their releases.

whaleallright

#3249 Post by whaleallright » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:59 pm

I almost feel as though the Jewish Soul set deserves its own thread, but in any case, folks should find this podcast with one of the compilers, Yiddish actor Allen Lewis Rickman, extremely interesting:

https://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic. ... e58c9f432e

L.A.

#3250 Post by L.A. » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:01 pm

Beaver reviews the 5-disc The Jewish Soul: Classics of Yiddish Cinema collection.