Imprint

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Finch

Re: Imprint

#176 Post by Finch » Fri May 07, 2021 10:45 pm

Scarface at Beaver
Great Imprint cover. Can anyone confirm how the Uni BD included with the DePalma film looks like by comparison? Hoping Indicator or MoC are prepping a UK release...

edit: Seeing now Tony Rayns contributed a video piece. What are the odds this was done in collaboration with a UK label and that a future UK release will be identical but for a booklet and artwork?

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#177 Post by Rayon Vert » Fri May 07, 2021 10:50 pm

I was just looking for a comparison today. Blu-ray.com reviewed the Universal BD, unlike Beaver, so I'm waiting to see their review of the Imprint. I'm expecting it to be very similar.

rapta

#178 Post by rapta » Sat May 08, 2021 5:41 pm

Finch wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 10:45 pm
Scarface at Beaver
Great Imprint cover. Can anyone confirm how the Uni BD included with the DePalma film looks like by comparison? Hoping Indicator or MoC are prepping a UK release...

edit: Seeing now Tony Rayns contributed a video piece. What are the odds this was done in collaboration with a UK label and that a future UK release will be identical but for a booklet and artwork?
Almost certainly not going to a UK label unfortunately since Universal themselves simply ported over their US disc to HMV's Premium Collection recently. Disappointing, yes, but the Imprint is the way to go with this one as far as extras go. I suppose there's still a chance Universal will license it to another label (Indicator, MoC, Arrow, BFI) once the exclusivity period expires (should be a year, if Badlands was anything to go by), but then you'd have to wait at least a year to see if that happened or not.

Finch

#179 Post by Finch » Sat May 08, 2021 10:59 pm

Thanks for that. I think I'll wait as I recall people saying even at sale prices Imprint titles are still expensive to import.

Gerald Christie

#180 Post by Gerald Christie » Sun May 09, 2021 10:23 am

Finch wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 10:45 pm
Scarface at Beaver

Personally, I would stick with the Universal release but that's just me. Imprint releases are expensive to import and while they do include worthwhile special features, A/V wise they tend to be hit or miss. I haven't opened the Beaver link you posted, but I own a few of Imprint's releases (A Place in the Sun, The Day of the Locust, Sorry, Wrong Number and I Married a Creature from Outer Space) and their encoding leaves a lot to be desired. It's not terrible, but it tends to be mediocre/decentish with sometimes leading to banding/posterization in dark areas (night scenes and dark clothing) popping up from time to time. So, at the end of the day, while the underlying source or master of Scarface will be the same, Universal's version will most certainly be better encoded. That being said, for most people this tends to not be a noticeable issue and your mileage may vary as they say. Hope this helps.
Last edited by Gerald Christie on Sun May 09, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#181 Post by tenia » Sun May 09, 2021 10:45 am

Quite certain they use the Universal master that was included with the DePalma and released in some countries as a stand alone, only they have added some extras.

flyonthewall2983

#182 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri May 14, 2021 6:51 pm

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#183 Post by swo17 » Fri May 14, 2021 6:56 pm

That came out last year and the limited edition is already sold out

flyonthewall2983

#184 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri May 14, 2021 7:33 pm

*annoyed grunt*

Pavel

#185 Post by Pavel » Thu May 27, 2021 3:19 am

August titles:
As Good As It Gets
Drugstore Cowboy
Chinese Box
The Straight Story
Double Jeopardy
Days of Heaven

Gerald Christie

#186 Post by Gerald Christie » Thu May 27, 2021 4:24 am

Pavel wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 3:19 am
August titles:
As Good As It Gets
Drugstore Cowboy
Chinese Box
The Straight Story
Double Jeopardy
Days of Heaven
Drugstore Cowboy!!!! Damn, what a delightful and terrific surprise. Am I the only one surprised by the fact that Paramount allowed Imprint to license Days of Heaven? I know rights work differently with each country, but I would have expected Paramount to have to release it themselves. Maybe since it's Australia, no offense to them, they just don't care or give a f***?

therewillbeblus

#187 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu May 27, 2021 8:00 am

Wow, Drugstore Cowboy and The Straight Story are terrific announcements. As usual, I’m hoping another label gets to them but might have to finally spend the extra cash for Imprint editions.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#188 Post by swo17 » Thu May 27, 2021 10:48 am

I'm just noticing that some of the standard editions (which only lose the slipcovers from the limited editions) are already showing up as sold out. Namely, Waterloo and The Duellists

cdnchris
Site Admin

#189 Post by cdnchris » Thu May 27, 2021 4:30 pm

Pavel wrote:August titles:
As Good As It Gets
Drugstore Cowboy
Chinese Box
The Straight Story
Double Jeopardy
Days of Heaven
Oh man, my wife will be excited about Double Jeopardy!

beamish14

#190 Post by beamish14 » Thu May 27, 2021 4:46 pm

Pavel wrote:
August titles:
As Good As It Gets
Drugstore Cowboy
Chinese Box
The Straight Story
Double Jeopardy
Days of Heaven

Wayne Wang created a shorter cut of Chinese Box that had some one-off screenings at some museums/cinematheques a few years ago. I wonder if it will be the general release version or that.Lionsgate's terrific 2-disc set of it also included his 1989 feature Life is Cheap...but Toilet Paper is Expensive (1989), which had never been released on home video before. The two films connect to each other a bit, and I hope they can retain it.

rapta

#191 Post by rapta » Thu May 27, 2021 6:50 pm

Gerald Christie wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 4:24 am
Pavel wrote:
August titles:
As Good As It Gets
Drugstore Cowboy
Chinese Box
The Straight Story
Double Jeopardy
Days of Heaven
Drugstore Cowboy!!!! Damn, what a delightful and terrific surprise. Am I the only one surprised by the fact that Paramount allowed Imprint to license Days of Heaven? I know rights work differently with each country, but I would have expected Paramount to have to release it themselves. Maybe since it's Australia, no offense to them, they just don't care or give a f***?
Seems Via Vision/Imprint have some strong swaying power with regards to Paramount. Surprised they got Days of Heaven, but was also surprised by several others too (Hard Eight, A Place in the Sun, The Gambler, Alfie, Black Sunday, The Duellist, Danger Diabolik, The Day of the Locust). Some of these are titles I've been requesting from Eureka for years, both when they had multi-title Paramount deals, and more recently when their Paramount acquisitions have been more sparse.

I'm hoping things open up in the future though for UK boutiques as BFI have acquired titles like Targets, One of Our Aircraft is Missing, and The Pawnbroker. It's curious to notice that the catalogue release of Days of Heaven hasn't yet been ported to the UK, so it may well end up with a boutique label if we're lucky (I'd be over the moon; it's an all-time favourite film of mine and I've been patiently waiting for a UK Blu-ray).

The Fanciful Norwegian

#192 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu May 27, 2021 11:29 pm

The cynic in me is just assuming that these deals were inked before Paramount had their change of heart and began taking titles back in-house. But if that decision was somehow connected to Paramount Plus (as some have speculated) then they may be more generous with overseas licensors, since that service is still U.S.-only and they don't seem to have announced plans for international expansion.
beamish14 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 4:46 pm
Wayne Wang created a shorter cut of Chinese Box that had some one-off screenings at some museums/cinematheques a few years ago. I wonder if it will be the general release version or that.Lionsgate's terrific 2-disc set of it also included his 1989 feature Life is Cheap...but Toilet Paper is Expensive (1989), which had never been released on home video before. The two films connect to each other a bit, and I hope they can retain it.
The HD version I watched not too longer ago on Tubi was the standard 99-minute cut, and while I'd love to be proved wrong I'd be surprised if there was another HD master out there. I'd heard about the alternate cut but have never had the chance to see it, and I hope I get one someday. Wang has spoken more than once about his dissatisfaction with Gong Li's performance (and the fact that she flat-out refused to do certain things in the script, supposedly because she thought they weren't "Chinese") and has even "joked" that he wished he had cut her out of the film altogether, so I wonder if he took the opportunity with the shorter cut to trim down her role as much as reasonably possible.
therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:37 am
Does Lynch have final say over The Straight Story’s distribution contents or does Disney et al? I can see how many companies would want to maintain a respectful working relationship with him and compromise on his dealbreakers, but Disney doesn’t strike me as one of those
Disney only has distribution rights for certain territories and I believe Studio Canal is the actual owner of the film. Disney was the original theatrical distributor in Australia, but given other titles that Imprint has released, I think it's much more likely that they're licensing this from Canal and Disney's rights for Australia have expired.

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#193 Post by dekadetia » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:39 am

Just noticed The Straight Story includes an audio commentary by Peter Tonguette. What are the odds this is still there by August?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#194 Post by swo17 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:45 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:14 am
Any idea about region locking?
I believe all their releases so far have been region-free
dekadetia wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:39 am
Just noticed The Straight Story includes an audio commentary by Peter Tonguette. What are the odds this is still there by August?
I don't think any of their titles have sold out sooner than a couple months after the release date, but I wouldn't wait too much longer than that

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#195 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:25 am

I think they meant what are the odds it actually stays on the disc when it comes out, due to Lynch not wanting commentaries

therewillbeblus

#196 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:37 am

Does Lynch have final say over The Straight Story’s distribution contents or does Disney et al? I can see how many companies would want to maintain a respectful working relationship with him and compromise on his dealbreakers, but Disney doesn’t strike me as one of those

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#197 Post by dekadetia » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:42 am

That is indeed what I meant. It's certainly possible he has no control over it or it simply flies under the radar.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#198 Post by swo17 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:56 am

Of course, I should have realized. I've been pulling an all-nighter for work and am not entirely with it this morning!

PfR73

#199 Post by PfR73 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:16 pm

Just a word of caution about pre-ordering future Imprint releases, all of their most recent releases that include 5.1 audio (Let It Ride, Regarding Henry, The Mothman Prophecies, Alfie, Timeline) use lossy DTS-HD High Resolution instead of lossless DTS-HD Master Audio as their initial releases had used, and Timeline is in the wrong aspect ratio. I emailed them several weeks ago and have not received any response. I will not be ordering any of their products going forward unless reviews confirm there aren't any technical problems.

Ribs

#200 Post by Ribs » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:45 pm

Imprint posted a teaser for their upcoming announcements with tiny slivers of the covers, and these are 100% confirmed:
The Assassination Bureau
Dad’s Army
Michael Caine Harry Palmer Collection
A Reflection of Fear
Ned Kelly (1970)