Imprint: Collaborations - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
The Fanciful Norwegian

Re: Imprint: Collaborations - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li

#51 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:41 pm

L.A. wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:11 pm
There has been some debate regarding the aspect ratio of Ju Dou. Some people say it’s 2.35:1 but 1.37:1 seems correct.
I wrote about this awhile ago; the long and short of it is that Chinese movie posters at the time would actually mention if a film were in widescreen (and even distinguished between matted widescreen and 'Scope), and the poster for Ju Dou doesn't mention widescreen at all, suggesting that Academy ratio is the correct format. The film itself is enough to demonstrate that 2.35:1 is definitely wrong and I don't know how that myth got started—more understandable is the myth that the movie was shot in the three-strip Technicolor process abandoned in the mid-'50s, which came about because the film was printed using the dye-transfer equipment that Technicolor London sold to China and some people didn't realize that the two processes are completely separate.

Elizabeth Corday

#52 Post by Elizabeth Corday » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:23 am

Is it region free?

MichaelB

#53 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:34 am

I saw it twice at the ICA and I'm pretty sure I'd have remembered if it was 2.35:1, as that screen isn't especially suited to Scope presentations.

See also the longstanding myth that Ran was 2.35:1, which even found its way into the IMDB at one point. (One of many reasons why I simply don't trust the IMDB for technical matters like this, as that clearly wasn't even slightly fact-checked.)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#54 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:48 pm

Elizabeth Corday wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:23 am
Is it region free?
I believe all of Imprint’s releases have been region free

Calvin

#55 Post by Calvin » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:14 am

I asked Imprint regarding the audio specs and they said that "all titles included will have 24-bit lossless DTS HD-MA 5.1 or LPCM 2.0 audio."

Worth noting that Coming Home played theatrically with a Dolby Atmos sound mix, though I believe that only the Japanese Blu-Ray release has included it.

vsski

#56 Post by vsski » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:02 am

Can anyone who has ordered directly from Via Vision comment on the packaging they provide when shipping their discs overseas?
Is it like Indicator with nice bubble wrapping or like Amazon where everything slips around in the box and is prone to dings and dents even with sturdy box sets like this?

I’m a stickler for getting my collections in pristine condition and I don’t want to shell out close to 200 US (with shipping) to get something that looks like a truck ran over it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#57 Post by swo17 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:22 am

Well packaged and (knock on wood) everything has arrived to me in mint condition

vsski

#58 Post by vsski » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:55 am

Thanks swo - that’s good to hear!
Now if I could only convince Arrow to do the same, then I may order from them again (sorry getting off topic here).

JabbaTheSlut

#59 Post by JabbaTheSlut » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:19 am

swo17 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:22 am
Well packaged and (knock on wood) everything has arrived to me in mint condition
The same experience here

knives

#60 Post by knives » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:08 pm

Could someone more knowledgeable than myself explain a possibility of why Code Name: Cugar is not in this set?

The Fanciful Norwegian

#61 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:13 pm

Some guesses: no international profile (the only foreign market where it got distribution was Japan and it's almost never been screened at festivals or retrospectives), no evidence of an existing HD master, and Zhang himself has always dismissed it as a rushed piece of hackwork that he did purely as a favor to a friend (who had invested a bunch of money in a completely different project that Zhang abandoned during the scriptwriting phase).

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#62 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:27 pm

Code Name Cougar is, I think, for obsessed completists only. Not really all that good at all. The continued lack of availability of Keep Cool, however, is a shame. (There was a decent but unsubbed Japanese DVD and a long-ago Spanished subbed videotape -- and that might be it).

The Fanciful Norwegian

#63 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:29 pm

Codename Cougar is basically on the level of an American made-for-TV action movie of the time, and even that might be generous. Not at all recognizable as a Zhang Yimou film and really only of historical interest, as a) a rare mainland film on the subject of terrorism and b) a reflection of a political situation that only existed for a few years in the late '80s, when the two parties running China and Taiwan seemed to be moving towards a rapprochement based in part on shared opposition to Taiwanese independence. That all ended by the early '90s, after Tian'anmen made clear that the Chinese political system wouldn't converge with Taiwan's anytime soon and Lee Teng-hui (who had zero interest in unification with China, no matter how long-term) consolidated his position.

Calvin

#64 Post by Calvin » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:55 am

This is now available to pre-order at Deep Discount for $169.43 USD. You can knock 10% off with the one-time code 65BT4X2D4 to bring it down to $152.49

yoloswegmaster

#65 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:26 am

Never ordered from Deep Discount before but I think I will now. Does anyone know if they charge your card instantly or do they charge when they ship? Also, how are they with shipping times and packaging quality?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#66 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:06 pm

They ship in corrugated cardboard mailers. I've been getting all my Imprint titles from them and haven't had any issues

therewillbeblus

#67 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:38 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:26 am
Does anyone know if they charge your card instantly or do they charge when they ship?
I believe they charge instantly- I at least have a hold on my account for the films I pre-ordered a few days ago, but I forget if it goes through immediately or not

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#68 Post by swo17 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:31 pm

That price is not less than Imprint's if you ordered other things as well to make the shipping cost redundant

fdm

#69 Post by fdm » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:49 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:38 pm
yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:26 am
Does anyone know if they charge your card instantly or do they charge when they ship?
I believe they charge instantly- I at least have a hold on my account for the films I pre-ordered a few days ago, but I forget if it goes through immediately or not
They only charge when they're about to ship.

(Wish I'd re-visited this thread a couple days ago.)

BirdLives

#70 Post by BirdLives » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:56 pm

Wow. I am very thankful for the information and advice here. So, to all: thank you.

I'm a longtime Zhang fan and had mostly given up on hoping we'd get good versions of ALL the early classics. Especially now that the world is moving on to 4K and the future of physical media itself is questionable.

I've seen what I assume are a few of these transfers. A neighbor of mine loaned me "Red Sorghum" from the limited edition (I'm in the US) which I only heard about long after it was sold out. As well, I have a Korean blu ray of Ju Doh from a year or two ago (actually, initially I ordered the Japanese blu ray, which looks identical but did not have English subtitles. I searched and found the Korean blu ray from a US-based Korean movie site; the Korean disc does have English subs). Ju Doh looks great -- if slightly washed out, though that would be easily remedied by adjusting the contrast or black levels I think, and is in some squarish ratio, 1:33:1 or close to it, so I assume this is the same transfer. As well, I bought the US blu ray of "Shanghai Triad" a few months back but haven't looked at it yet. It's such a revelation to see Ju Doh looking so good after so many years of 90s Chinese films looking pretty awful on home video. I also have a French blu ray of "Raise the Red Lantern" from years ago, but I'm pretty sure that transfer is the same as the Taiwanese DVD transfer from many years ago that seemed to be the best available version of that. That French blu ray is a bit sharper than DVD as I recall but noticeably not as good as one would expect from a real blu ray transfer.

(The English subtitles on the Korean "Ju Doh" blu ray are serviceable but not ideal. There are some misspellings and I wonder about the quality of the translation. I'm hoping this Australian set has new and improved subtitles.)

Anyway, I've ordered the set from Deep Discount in the US and am really looking forward to it.

EDIT: FWIW, here is the Korean release of Ju Doh I mentioned.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#71 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:12 pm

Dear Valued Imprint Films Fan!

Strict government imposed lockdown restrictions in Australia has meant that the number of employees allowed to work in the manufacturing sector has been significantly reduced. Sadly, as a result, the release date of the Zhang Ximou Collection needs to be pushed back. As a result, your online order for this title will now leave us on September 30th. Please note: your Delivery will be upgraded to an Express Service so that it gets to you quickly. We apologise for the inconvenience, but we promise, it will be worth the wait! Thank you for your support!

Imprint Films

andyli

#72 Post by andyli » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:14 pm

Zhang Ximou? Really?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#73 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:15 pm

They actually misspelled it in the email subject line as well

What A Disgrace

#74 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:49 am

Hopefully they upgrade the shipping to Super Duper express shipping to make up for misspelling his name.

Elizabeth Corday

#75 Post by Elizabeth Corday » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:40 am

I'm starting to get worried because I don't know if its region free. Bluray.com and Amazon both list it as Region B/2....