Severin Films: All the Haunts Be Ours - A Compendium of Folk Horror

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
colinr0380

Re: Severin Films

#26 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:05 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:22 pm
I also want to put in a word for the very bizarre film Dark Waters. I think I may still have my old Tartan Video VHS knocking around of that one somewhere, and I do remember upgrading in the mid-2000s to the No Shame Region 1 DVD edition of the film (which came with a replica of the amulet in the film that I only take out to wear on special occasions when the stars are in the correct alignment!). It is perhaps more of a nunsploitation film than a 'folk horror' one per se, with a young lady traveling back to the island convent to uncover her mysterious heritage and instead finding out that she is the key to unleashing dark forces, and it is much more of a visually driven film than a narrative one, with its beautiful locations and Argento-style over the top death sequences, but on those terms I seem to remember it being quite enjoyable. I still have never logistically figured out exactly how that church manages to flood in the opening scene however!
Fortuitously The Horror Geek has just tackled Dark Waters on their channel, so that might be worth watching to see if it is of interest before the Folk Horror boxset releases.

Glowingwabbit

#27 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:10 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:05 pm
colinr0380 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:22 pm
I also want to put in a word for the very bizarre film Dark Waters. I think I may still have my old Tartan Video VHS knocking around of that one somewhere, and I do remember upgrading in the mid-2000s to the No Shame Region 1 DVD edition of the film (which came with a replica of the amulet in the film that I only take out to wear on special occasions when the stars are in the correct alignment!). It is perhaps more of a nunsploitation film than a 'folk horror' one per se, with a young lady traveling back to the island convent to uncover her mysterious heritage and instead finding out that she is the key to unleashing dark forces, and it is much more of a visually driven film than a narrative one, with its beautiful locations and Argento-style over the top death sequences, but on those terms I seem to remember it being quite enjoyable. I still have never logistically figured out exactly how that church manages to flood in the opening scene however!
Fortuitously The Horror Geek has just tackled Dark Waters on their channel, so that might be worth watching to see if it is of interest before the Folk Horror boxset releases.
You might already be aware, but Severin put out Dark Waters on blu already and it has supplements that aren't being carried over based on the specs for the set (such as Mariano Baino's short films). It's worth grabbing for those with an interest in Nunsploitation who don't want to throw so much $$$ at the Folk Horror set.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#28 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:32 pm

I’m surprised, given that there are a few titles included already released on Blu by Severin, that they didn’t include Blood on Satan’s Claw. I’m no fan of the film, but it’s obviously a key work of this box’s area of focus

dwk

Re: Severin Films: All the Haunts Be Ours - A Compendium of Folk Horror

#29 Post by dwk » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:22 pm

I think their license for Blood on Satan' Claw was limited to their limited edition, which is why it was only available on their website during their Black Friday sale (save the copies they reserved for conventions that they made available on their website after the sale because there were no conventions last year.)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#30 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:27 pm

Here's a Letterboxd list of all the films mentioned in the documentary, if you want to plan ahead before watching-- good luck getting through all 228 movies and 6 TV episodes if you don't already have a head start!

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#31 Post by Drucker » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:40 pm

Anthology Film Archives will be playing a bunch of these films in October.

Glowingwabbit

#32 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:05 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:27 pm
Here's a Letterboxd list of all the films mentioned in the documentary, if you want to plan ahead before watching-- good luck getting through all 228 movies and 6 TV episodes if you don't already have a head start!
This one has a few less titles but has the films arranged by what section of the doc they are mentioned/shown. I'm going to slowly work through all of the titles I haven't seen (I'll be skipping stuff like The Dirty Dozen which were just being used for some images)
Last edited by Glowingwabbit on Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#33 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:08 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:05 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:27 pm
This one has a few less titles but has the films arranged by what section of the doc they are mentioned/shown. I'm going to slowly work through all of the titles I haven't seen.
That one's got different films on it too because my view count is increased on it!

Glowingwabbit

#34 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:12 pm

Yeah it's been a little crazy trying to find a proper list. Of course there is also the problem of films being mentioned or used just for a short clip that have nothing to do with the subject (i.e. The Dirty Dozen).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#35 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:51 pm

Let’s all be sure to weigh in with thoughts here on both the films included in this set and the ones discussed in the documentary!

bad future

#36 Post by bad future » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:48 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:32 pm
I’m surprised, given that there are a few titles included already released on Blu by Severin, that they didn’t include Blood on Satan’s Claw. I’m no fan of the film, but it’s obviously a key work of this box’s area of focus
The film also gets one of the biggest spotlights in the documentary, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was at one point on their list of hopeful inclusions. Spoiler tags just in case:
SpoilerShow
the first major section of the film is dedicated to Blood on Satan’s Claw, Wicker Man, and Witchfinder General, before expanding to other British work, and the rest of the world from there. I streamed it via an online fest earlier this year and my memory may be off, but I don’t recall any single other film being discussed to the same extent as those three. Not that I ever found it lacking in depth; the rest of the doc is just approached more by theme and films are woven in and out as they serve the discussion.

Glowingwabbit

#37 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:05 pm

bad future wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:48 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:32 pm
The film also gets one of the biggest spotlights in the documentary, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was at one point on their list of hopeful inclusions. Spoiler tags just in case:
SpoilerShow
the first major section of the film is dedicated to Blood on Satan’s Claw, Wicker Man, and Witchfinder General, before expanding to other British work, and the rest of the world from there. I streamed it via an online fest earlier this year and my memory may be off, but I don’t recall any single other film being discussed to the same extent as those three. Not that I ever found it lacking in depth; the rest of the doc is just approached more by theme and films are woven in and out as they serve the discussion.
On several podcasts she's mentioned that the entire project began when she was asked to do supplements for the film and it grew into something bigger (eventually becoming the documentary). As it's been mentioned (edit: in the general Severin thread) the consensus seems to be that Blood on Satan’s Claw was only available for the Limited Edition release.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#38 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:14 pm

Screenbound’s UK Blu-ray does appear to be in-print, for those looking for it to supplement the box

dwk

#39 Post by dwk » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:41 pm

Thw Severin disc is preferable, if you can get it for a good price, because the Screenbound disc is missing the tinting on some day for night shots.

Robin Davies

#40 Post by Robin Davies » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:01 am

Personally I'm glad they've omitted the "Big Three" (Blood on Satan's Claw, The Wicker Man and Witchfinder General). Surely every fan of folk horror has already got them.
This set contains an enticing bunch of rarer items, of which I only have six.

Glowingwabbit

#41 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:21 am

Robin Davies wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:01 am
Personally I'm glad they've omitted the "Big Three" (Blood on Satan's Claw, The Wicker Man and Witchfinder General). Surely every fan of folk horror has already got them.
This set contains an enticing bunch of rarer items, of which I only have six.
I sort of feel the same way especially since I had just bought Blood on Satan's Claw during their sale in June and would have been a little annoyed to see it in the set immediately after (although I probably could have sold it off for a profit). The only titles that are repeats for me are Dark Waters and Viy, but they don't seem to be carrying over all of Dark Waters' supplements and I have the Eureka LE of the latter which has a good bonus film, so it's a wash.

Although it's not spoken of as much in the doc compared to the Big 3, Eyes of Fire is clearly the big title (even getting a standalone release too) when it comes to this set given how unavailable it's been (even on back channels it looked like sludge).

L.A.

#42 Post by L.A. » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:43 pm

Severin wanted Sukkubus (1989) to be part of this set but is coming from Mondo Macabro instead.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#43 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:19 pm

L.A. wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:43 pm
Severin wanted Sukkubus (1989) to be part of this set but is coming from Mondo Macabro instead.
That is an amazingly bad cover. And also very NSFW despite the halfhearted attempt to censor via cheerful jack-o’lanterns!

black&huge

#44 Post by black&huge » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:44 pm

MM will do a better overall presentation of the one anyways.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#45 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:44 pm

I watched three of the BBC Ghost Stories specials apparently discussed in the documentary, and I thought they inadvertently fell into a perfect Goldilocks cycle.

Though it has the best reputation, I thought Whistle and I'll Come to You went on for too long for too little payoff. My reaction was not helped by my lack of patience with the acting choices taken in portraying the doddering professor. Very stylish in parts, but the payoff didn't merit the leadup or time spent with the annoying main character. Conversely, I thought the Ash Tree was truly awful and often confusing, in part because it took on way too much and could give none of its ideas enough space to breathe or seem plausible in so little time. And unlike Whistle, this one shows way, way too much in the finale and it's complete nonsense.

However, between these two extremes I found A Warning to the Curious terrific and thought it expertly balanced its slow creeping rollout and sufficiently creepy payoff. All of these films revolve around arrogance and a comeuppance treatment of the protagonist, but the motivations of the protag of Warning are far more realistic, and his incursions into the countryside's lore are understandable and without real malice-- though of course, folk tales don't always follow a path of conventional morality or justice. It also has a superb ending punchline that underlines this theme.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#46 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:39 pm

My preordered set still hasn’t shipped yet and now the “exclusive” box is up on DD for $25 less than it cost direct. Never doing this again

Robert Chipeska

#47 Post by Robert Chipeska » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:47 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:39 pm
My preordered set still hasn’t shipped yet and now the “exclusive” box is up on DD for $25 less than it cost direct. Never doing this again
Same here. This is some serious BS. Support the small guys directly for a good cause... and get screwed. I'd like to see Severin offer $25.00 credit for this fiasco.

J Wilson

#48 Post by J Wilson » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:24 pm

Sounds like it was misleadingly billed as exclusive to Severin, as opposed to a timed exclusive, which it now apparently is. I received my set today, packaged in a weird sort of paper hay-like material.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#49 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:31 pm

I’m only stressing this because I like many people won’t be home for the holidays and I don’t want a package waiting for me on my doorstep (or worse and more likely, not) when I get back. Severin did this before a couple years ago, mailing something out on like 12/23 so it would arrive the day after. Big brain operation over there

brundlefly

#50 Post by brundlefly » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:48 pm

Does your post office not hold packages?

Not the first time they've pulled this. They confirmed by e-mail the Milligan set was exclusive to them and I guess it was until it wasn't, anymore. FWIW the release date listed at DD isn't for another month. And I'm sure the hay is exclusive.