Artificial Eye / Curzon Film World

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
kekid

Re: Artificial Eye / Curzon Film World

#2151 Post by kekid » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:30 pm

senseabove wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:17 pm
As well as a giant, 22-film box set (though the Wings of Desire UHD is only sold separately):
When is this coming out? I could not find it on Amazon.co.uk.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#2152 Post by soundchaser » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:38 pm

Tempted to get this just for Faraway, So Close!, which is an absolutely bizarre film. But putting the director's cut of Until the End of the World on one disc is certainly...a choice.

mrb404

#2153 Post by mrb404 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:16 pm

kekid wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:30 pm
senseabove wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:17 pm
As well as a giant, 22-film box set (though the Wings of Desire UHD is only sold separately):
When is this coming out? I could not find it on Amazon.co.uk.
The Wenders boxset is now available for preorder on Amazon.co.uk but the info about this release is still very limited less than 2 weeks before release (December 12, 2022).
Does anybody have any idea about what quality we can expect?

MikeFH

#2154 Post by MikeFH » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:26 am

Received it today. It’s not as big as expected (comparing it to the Criterion Bergman Cinema box) but it breaths quality all around. Really looking forward to (re-)watch all the beautiful films in it, including the “over 50 special features”.

kekid

#2155 Post by kekid » Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:04 pm

The Curzon big Wim Wenders box seems to have no subtitles for English dialogue.
I have only watched The American Friend, and the Wenders interview that accompanies it. Wenders speaks in clear English, and his interview has no subtitles. The American Friend has English subtitles only for parts spoken in other languages. There are no SDH subtitles. I would assume the same would hold for other films, but need to confirm that. The picture quality looked very good to me. (However, please understand that I am not a very critical viewer).

mrb404

#2156 Post by mrb404 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:57 pm

Here are the complete technical details of the Wenders Curzon Collection:

Disc 1: The Goalkeeper's Fear of the Penalty (1972, 101 mins) German with English subtitles | Colour | 1.37:1. 4K Restoration and new sound mixing 2014, commissioned by the Wim Wenders Foundation.
Special Features: Short Film Same Player Shoots Again (1968, 12 mins)

Disc 2: The Scarlet Letter (1972, 90 mins) German with English Subtitles | Colour | 1.66:1.
Special Features: Short Films From the Families of the Reptiles (1974), The Island (1974, 25 mins)

Disc 3: Alice in the Cities (1974, 113 mins) English and German & Dutch with English Subtitles | B&W | 1.66:1. 4K Scan and 2K Restoration 2014, commissioned by the Wim Wenders Foundation.
Special Features: Deleted Scenes, Audio Commentary, Featurette In Conversation with Wim Wenders at the BFI

Disc 4: Wrong Move (1975, 103 mins) German with English Subtitles | Colour | 1.66:1. 4K Restoration 2015, commissioned by the Wim Wenders Foundation.
Special Features: Short Film Silver City Revisited (1969, 25 mins)

Disc 5: Kings of the Road (1976, 175 mins) German with English subtitles | B&W | 1.66:1. 4K Restoration 2014, commissioned by the Wim Wenders Foundation.
Special Features: Original Theatrical Trailer, Curzon Retrospective Trailer

Disc 6: The American Friend (1977, 128 mins) English and German & French with English Subtitles | Colour | 1.66:1. 4K Restoration 2014, commissioned by the Wim Wenders Foundation.
Special Features: Audio Commentary with Wim Wenders and Dennis Hopper, Interview with Wim Wenders, Deleted Scenes with Director's Commentary, Original Theatrical Trailer

Disc 7: Lightning Over Water (1980, 90 mins) English | Colour | 1.66:1.
Special Features: Short Film Room 666 (1982, 43 mins)

Disc 8: The State of Things (1982, 121 mins) English and French & Portuguese with English Subtitles | B&W | 1.66:1. 4K Restoration 2015, commissioned by the Wim Wenders Foundation.
Special Features: Short Film Reverse Angle (1982, 17 mins)

Disc 9: Paris, Texas (1984, 148 mins) English | Colour | 1.66:1. 4K Scan and 2K Restoration 2014, commissioned by Argos Films and the Wim Wenders Foundation.
Special Features: Interview with Wim Wenders, Deleted Scenes, Audio Commentary with Wim Wenders, Super-8 Footage, Cannes Featurette, Original Theatrical Trailer, Curzon Retrospective Trailer

Disc 10: Tokyo-Ga (1985, 92 mins) English and Japanese & German with English Subtitles | Colour | 1.37:1. 4K Scan and 2K Restoration 2014, commissioned by the Wim Wenders Foundation.
Special Features: Conversations at Curzon Soho - Wim Wenders reflects on his career with Anna Bogutskaya (2022)

Disc 11: Wings of Desire (1987, 128 mins) English and German, French, Turkish, Hebrew, Spanish & Japanese with English Subtitles | Colour and B&W | 1.66:1. 4K Restoration in 2017/2018, commissioned by the Wim Wenders Foundation.
Special Features: Featurette In Conversation with Wim Wenders at the BFI (2022), Deleted Scenes, Audio Commentary with Wim Wenders and Peter Falk, Wim Wenders Lecture, Featurette Helicopter Over Berlin, German and English trailers edited by Wim Wenders, Curzon Retrospective Trailer

Disc 12: Notebook on Cities and Clothes (1989, 81 mins) English and Japanese, German & French with English Subtitles | Colour | 1.371. 4K Restoration 2014, commissioned by the Wim Wenders Foundation.
Special Features: Short Film Arisha, the Bear and the Stone Ring (1992, 31 mins)

Disc 13: Until the End of the World - Director's Cut (1991/1994, 287 mins) English and French, Italian, Japanese & German with English Subtitles | Colour | 1.66:1. 4K Restoration 2014, commissioned by the Wim Wenders Foundation.
Special Features: Interview with Wim Wenders, Deleted Scenes, Featurette Sketchbook, Original Theatrical Trailer

Disc 14: Faraway, So Close! (1993, 140 mins) English and German, French, Italian & Russian with English Subtitles | Colour & B&W | 1.85:1

Disc 15: Lisbon Story (1994, 100 mins) English and Portuguese, German, French & Spanish with English Subtitles | Colour and B&W | 1.66:1. 4K Restoration 2019, commissioned by the Wim Wenders Foundation.
Special Features: Interview with Wim Wenders, Trailer edited by Wim Wenders

Disc 16: A Trick of the Light (1996, 79 mins) German with English Subtitles | Colour and B&W | 1.33:1.
Special Features: In Frame: Wim Wenders at Curzon Mayfair (2022)

Disc 17: Buena Vista Social Club (1999, 105 mins) English and Spanish with English Subtitles | Colour and B&W | 1.85:1.
Special Features: Deleted Scenes, Interviews with Wim Wenders and Juan de Marcos González, Original Theatrical Trailer

Disc 18: The Million Dollar Hotel (2000, 122 mins) English | Colour | 2.39:1. 4K Restoration 2021, commissioned by the Wim Wenders Foundation.
Special Features: Interview with Wim Wenders

Disc 19: Palermo Shooting (2008, 124 mins) English and German & Italian with English Subtitles | Colour | 1.85:1. Special Features: Trailer

Disc 20: PINA (2011, 103 mins) English and German, French, Spanish, Croatian, Italian & Portuguese with English Subtitles | Colour | 1.85:1.
Special Features: Trailer, Interview with Director

Disc 21: The Salt of the Earth (2014, 110 mins) English and French & Portuguese with English Subtitles | Colour and B&W | 1.85:1.
Special Features: Trailer, Music Video, Deleted Scenes

Disc 22: Every Thing Will Be Fine (2015, 118 mins) English and German with English Subtitles | Colour | 2.351.
Special Features: Deleted Scenes, 'Making of' Featurette, Trailer

kekid

#2157 Post by kekid » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:00 pm

The details of the Curzon Wenders Collection provided by mrb404 is much appreciated. However, it must be clarified that wherever the description says "English Subtitles", that applies for parts spoken in other languages only. There are no SDH subtitles. If you are hard of hearing, this set is not for you. Which is a pity because the images are very good and the extras comprehensive and very interesting. I don't know why someone would put so much effort into a set like this and not take trouble to make it accessible to those hard of hearing.

mrb404

#2158 Post by mrb404 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:00 am

kekid wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:00 pm
The details of the Curzon Wenders Collection provided by mrb404 is much appreciated. However, it must be clarified that wherever the description says "English Subtitles", that applies for parts spoken in other languages only. There are no SDH subtitles. If you are hard of hearing, this set is not for you. Which is a pity because the images are very good and the extras comprehensive and very interesting. I don't know why someone would put so much effort into a set like this and not take trouble to make it accessible to those hard of hearing.
With pleasure! Being a Wenders fan, there was enough apparent upgrading for me to jump in and order a copy, but I figured some people might want to know a bit more about the contents of this boxset.

And absolutely: just did a spot check on a few discs and, as mentioned by kekid, no English dialogue appears to be subtitled.

Also, this is not a complete collection: some movies have not been included (Hammett, The End of Violence, Land of Plenty, Don’t Come Knocking, The Beautiful Days of Aranjuez, Submergence + a number of documentaries and shorts). I guess this must be because of rights issues because almost all of these are available in BR.

As for the extra features, the list is indeed quite impressive. However, I’m going to end up keeping some of my older Wenders DVDs as they include commentaries by Wenders himself that have not been ported here. Probably rights issues here too.

kekid

#2159 Post by kekid » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:52 am

One comment on packaging of the Wenders Collection. All discs sit snugly in individual pockets. To remove them, you have to hold them by the edge firmly and pull them out. Every time you do this, it leaves finger marks on the disc. I don't know if over time these residues affect the performance of the discs, but it seems to me to be a poor design. The pocket could include a slot from the center to the top so that the disc could be slid out by a finger placed in the center and moved to the top (or some other cleverer design).

yoloswegmaster

#2160 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:13 pm

AE releasing the Three Colors Triligy and Double Life of Veronique on 4K UHD.

MichaelB

#2161 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:33 am

The Digital Bits gives a rave review to the UHD of Wings of Desire, but with a gigantic caveat that may well be a deal-breaker for many.

Not the lack of an HDR grade, which apparently makes absolutely no difference, but the bizarre choice to exclusively feature SDH subtitles.

In other words, if you want the German translated, you have to put up with the English being transcribed as well - and, far more distractingly, intrusive sound effects transcription on top. Which can be switched off, but then you have to either be able to understand German or have a good enough memory of what's being said from previous viewings.

What an utterly weird decision. I really hope that this doesn't affect the Kieślowski UHD titles as well, and I'm certainly not buying them until I get confirmation one way or the other.

EddieLarkin

#2162 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:24 am

Whilst I'm not aware of any other AE discs this has happened with, I'm still not at all surprised to hear of crap like this from such a half arsed label like Artificial Eye. Get out of the business and licence your stuff to the professionals you embarassing rank amateurs.

therewillbeblus

#2163 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:36 am

Yeah but sometimes they function like KL and give us a bunch of stuff not put out by other companies that I'm not so sure would be prioritized elsewhere... though I wind up double-dipping on basically ever AE disc that does find another home eventually

yoloswegmaster

#2164 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:15 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:13 pm
AE releasing the Three Colors Triligy and Double Life of Veronique on 4K UHD.
Forgot to post this but this is what the packaging will look like:
SpoilerShow
Bit of unwieldy looking set. Also, why is the Curzon logo bigger than the title of the boxset on the spine? Is that normal?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2165 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:20 pm

Oh, I love Alfonso Curzón

ryannichols7

#2166 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:22 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:36 am
Yeah but sometimes they function like KL and give us a bunch of stuff not put out by other companies that I'm not so sure would be prioritized elsewhere... though I wind up double-dipping on basically ever AE disc that does find another home eventually
yes, especially recent releases like The Handmaiden and The Salesman that who knows when will get a R1 release. and you don't see Criterion upgrading all those Kaurismaki or Wenders titles either...but I agree completely, what they do they do really well. but they always get surpassed, there's just never enough extras or problematic transfers (Tarkovsky and Egoyan sets I haven't picked up, and probably won't)

the art on that Three Colors spine is some A24 levels of brand pushing

therewillbeblus

#2167 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:28 pm

The Square, and Atom Egoyan and Peter Strickland movies also come to mind

Penti Mento

#2168 Post by Penti Mento » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:33 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:33 am
The Digital Bits gives a rave review to the UHD of Wings of Desire, but with a gigantic caveat that may well be a deal-breaker for many.

Not the lack of an HDR grade, which apparently makes absolutely no difference, but the bizarre choice to exclusively feature SDH subtitles.

In other words, if you want the German translated, you have to put up with the English being transcribed as well - and, far more distractingly, intrusive sound effects transcription on top. Which can be switched off, but then you have to either be able to understand German or have a good enough memory of what's being said from previous viewings.

What an utterly weird decision. I really hope that this doesn't affect the Kieślowski UHD titles as well, and I'm certainly not buying them until I get confirmation one way or the other.
The utilization of subs on Blu has been both better and worse than on DVD, it seems to me. Titles like Close Encounters, Alfredo Garcia, or the Godfather films, English language films made primarily by and for an English speaking audience, would in the past have had the relatively insignificant (but necessary) non-English spoken parts hard-subbed by default. With Blu, it's always a crapshoot what you'll get -- every word, sound and street sign, or perhaps none of the above. I guess this has much to do with the globalization of markets (hence 36 sub options on some discs) but results in the lack of sensible subtitle design for one targeted audience.

colinr0380

#2169 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:16 pm

The last time I remember something like this happening was in the original US DVD release of Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence, which upsettingly went to the trouble of having the film translated by Linda Hoaglund and then only making it available in a subtitle track with music and effects cues noted as well. That was very distracting unfortunately.

I also agree on the general pros and cons with Artificial Eye. I would never want them to stop releasing what they do, since at least somebody is releasing it, although to compound the issues noted above there is the additional frustration that they are still releasing many of their most interesting, and presumably calculated as more obscure, titles on DVD only.

(I also wonder if any of the other UK members have noticed there is that strange synergy between the films that Artificial Eye release invariably being the few foreign language films that the BBC ends up airing on television!)

Dr Amicus

#2170 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:14 am

Do we know what the situation with the subtitles is on the BluRay version in the box? SDH like the UHD?

MichaelB

#2171 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:32 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:16 pm
(I also wonder if any of the other UK members have noticed there is that strange synergy between the films that Artificial Eye release invariably being the few foreign language films that the BBC ends up airing on television!)
Not remotely strange. When I worked in theatrical distribution thirty years ago, TV sales were a vital part of the equation when deciding to pick up the UK rights to a film, and Artificial Eye would have been especially conscious of this as their reputation meant that they tended to go for the more expensive titles - and would therefore be very keen to offset this expense with a TV sale upfront. And because the company has been around a very long time (albeit staffed now by completely different people), they'd have very long-term contacts within the BBC's film acquisitions department.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2172 Post by tenia » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:14 pm

Dr Amicus wrote:Do we know what the situation with the subtitles is on the BluRay version in the box? SDH like the UHD?
There only is one subtitle track on the BD, just like the UHD, so it's fair to assume it's also SDH only on the BD.

yoloswegmaster

#2173 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:30 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:33 am

Curzon is planning on issuing and sending out replacement discs sometime in the future that will add both English and SDH subtitle tracks. Send an email to homeent@curzon.com with proof of purchase and your address so that they can send it to you.

Calvin

#2174 Post by Calvin » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:43 pm

Kieslowski UHD upgrades are coming April 3rd:

Three Colours Trilogy | 7-disc 4K Ultra HD & Blu-Ray set

One 4K Ultra HD disc of each film: New 4K restoration presented in Dolby Vision HDR, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD sound, English & optional English SDH subtitles
One Blu-Ray disc of each film with 5.1 surround DTS-HD sound and Special Features.
Bonus Blu-Ray disc including 12 short films and more
5 Art cards each illustrated by a different artist
32 pages booklet including new interview with Julie Delpy
Digipack and hardcover slipcase in a canvas Curzon Collection slipcase
Design by Andrew Bannister

Special Features:

Three Colours Blu-Ray discs:

Three cinema lessons with Krzysztof Kieślowski
Interviews with Juliette Binoche, Julie Delpy, Irène Jacob, editor Jacques Witta & producer Marin Karmitz
Making of & Cannes Featurette
Theatrical Trailers

Bonus Blu-Ray Disc:

10 short films by Kieślowski: The Office (1966), The Tram (1966), Concert of Requests (1967), I Was a Soldier (1971), Factory (1971), Hospital (1977), Seven Women of Different Ages (1979), From a Night Porter’s Point of View (1979), Railway Station (1980), Talking Heads (1980)
2 Additional short films: The Musicians (1958), by Kieślowski's teacher and mentor | The Face (1966), starring Kieślowski
Still Alive: A Film About Krzysztof Kieślowski (Documentary, 2005)
Slavoj Žižek on Krzysztof Kieślowski (extract from The Pervert's Guide to Cinema, 2005)
In Search of Kieślowski: A Restoration Project (2021)
The Double Life of Veronique | 4K Ultra HD + Blu-Ray

4K Ultra HD disc, new 4K restoration, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD sound, English & optional English SDH subtitles
Blu-Ray disc with DTS Master Audio and Special Features
5 Art cards each illustrated by a different artist
O-ring with alternative design by Andrew Bannister

Special Features:

Conversation with Kieślowski
Interview with Irène Jacob
Kieślowski Polish Filmmaker (Documentary, 2005)
3 short films by Kieślowski: Factory (1971), Hospital (1977), Railway Station (1980)
Additional short film: The Musicians (1958), by Kieślowski's teacher and mentor

Jean-Luc Garbo

#2175 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:26 pm

Does anyone know if Curzon's Flux Gourmet blu has any extras?