Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Calvin

Re: Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

#1901 Post by Calvin » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:18 pm

A slightly slimmer (11 films vs 18) German edition of the Tavernier box set has been put up for pre-order....and lists English subtitles!

kekid

#1902 Post by kekid » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:24 pm

Calvin wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:18 pm
A slightly slimmer (11 films vs 18) German edition of the Tavernier box set has been put up for pre-order....and lists English subtitles!
Does anyone know (1) which films are included, and (2) if the supplements are English-friendly?
Thank you.

Calvin

#1903 Post by Calvin » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:59 am

kekid wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:24 pm
Calvin wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:18 pm
Does anyone know (1) which films are included, and (2) if the supplements are English-friendly?
Thank you.
I think the German set includes:

The Watchmaker of St. Paul
Let Joy Reign Supreme
The Judge and the Assassin
A Week's Vacation
Coup de torchon
A Sunday in the Country
L.627
La guerre sans nom
It All Starts Today
Safe Conduct
The Princess of Montpensier

No word on the extras being subtitled, but I do wonder if the set (or a few of the discs broken out individually) will make its way to the UK.

mhofmann

#1904 Post by mhofmann » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:04 am

I’m more thinking about whether that means the French set, or at least the French discs that are in the German set, will have English (or German) subtitles as well… essentially being the same discs.
This might stay undocumented and we’ll know once it’s out (have the French set pre-ordered).

Pepsi

#1905 Post by Pepsi » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:55 pm

Three of the films in the box get also individual releases. Even not listed, it has to be the same discs than in the box. The German box has also French subs, so they are likely the same in the French box.

https://bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-filme/16 ... 1filme_set

https://bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-filme/16 ... on_st_paul

https://bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-filme/16 ... _dem_lande

https://bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-filme/16 ... r_saustall

MichaelB

#1906 Post by MichaelB » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:57 pm

Pepsi wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:55 pm
Even not listed, it has to be the same discs than in the box.
I believe this was only true of some of the StudioCanal Jean-Pierre Melville discs, not all of them.

Stefan Andersson

#1907 Post by Stefan Andersson » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:26 pm

Details about the extras in the Tavernier box (click on the mauve "Liste des bonus") here:
https://digitalcine.fr/4k-bluray-dvd/ne ... obre-2021/

Click on the mauve box "Nouveautés de coffret" for info about the 9 previously unreleased titles (four are new restorations).

The writer also guesses that the 9 previously unreleased titles will have standalone releases in the future.

TMDaines

#1908 Post by TMDaines » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:39 am

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:57 pm
Pepsi wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:55 pm
Even not listed, it has to be the same discs than in the box.
I believe this was only true of some of the StudioCanal Jean-Pierre Melville discs, not all of them.
And some of the individual Becker Blu-rays were different too. SC aren't consistent.

mhofmann

#1909 Post by mhofmann » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:23 am

Looks like most of the films in the French Bertrand Tavernier set do not have German or English subtitles.

According to what's on the packaging, only the following films have the following subtitles in addition to French for the hard of hearing:
  • L.627: German & English
  • La Guerre sans nom: German & English (only for Disc 1/2)
  • Ça commence aujourd'hui: German & English
  • Laissez-passer: German & English
  • La Princesse de Montpensier: English
  • Quai d'Orsay: English
I spot checked L'horloger de Saint-Paul which is also included in the German set, and indeed, only French HoH subtitles.

MichaelB

#1910 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:48 am

Excellent news about La Guerre sans nom, as I've tracked down English subtitles for everything else.

UPDATE: ...and I've ordered the French box. I'll report full specs early next week when it arrives.

mhofmann

#1911 Post by mhofmann » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:12 pm

Got the French set today. Unless I made a mistake, this is what languages and subtitles look like:

mhofmann

#1912 Post by mhofmann » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:19 pm

Things I noticed at quick glance:
- 'La Guerre sans nom' is on one disc, with all its 4 hours. Encoding could of course be better. The second disc is some minor bonus material only.
- The pitch of the Studiocanal logo jingle at the beginning of 'Ça commence aujourd'hui' is noticeably off. No idea what this might mean for the rest of the film. The feature length matches what's listed on IMDb.

MichaelB

#1913 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:30 pm

Very pleased to see all the French HoH subtitles - when watching French films, I generally prefer them to ones in English, a habit that started when I deliberately bought a French DVD of Ridicule because I (rightly) thought subtitles in French would be more linguistically useful than ones in English, given that the film is specifically about quirks in the French language and a parallel English translation is therefore needlessly distracting. My French is a long way from being fluent, but if spoken and written French are simultaneously combined I'm likely to get at least 95% of what's being said.

kekid

#1914 Post by kekid » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:40 pm

Both French and German boxes seem to be missing "Daddy Nostalgia" and "Round Midnight".
Are these available on Blu Ray anywhere?

CSM126

#1915 Post by CSM126 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:18 pm

I believe Round Midnight is with Criterion, but obviously not released yet

dwk

#1916 Post by dwk » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:39 pm

I may be misremembering, but I recall Daddy Nostalghia being a pretty bad standard definition master when it was on the Criterion Channel earlier this year. So it is possible that there is no HD master (and no Blu-ray.)

kekid

#1917 Post by kekid » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:52 pm

Any indication that Criterion might release a Tavernier box in Region 1?
What are the likely options for their next big box?

dwk

#1918 Post by dwk » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:45 am

No, Kino has released a number of StudioCanal's Tavernier titles.

GaryC

#1919 Post by GaryC » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:52 am

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:30 pm
Very pleased to see all the French HoH subtitles - when watching French films, I generally prefer them to ones in English, a habit that started when I deliberately bought a French DVD of Ridicule because I (rightly) thought subtitles in French would be more linguistically useful than ones in English, given that the film is specifically about quirks in the French language and a parallel English translation is therefore needlessly distracting. My French is a long way from being fluent, but if spoken and written French are simultaneously combined I'm likely to get at least 95% of what's being said.
I did once years ago follow a film via French subtitles at the National Film Theatre (as was) - the film was Dreyer's Gertrud, in Danish, and the print had come from a French archive. That was in the last century and my French is very rusty now. So a set like this could certainly give me plenty of practice. Other than the English-language Death Watch, the only one that doesn't have English subtitles or French HOH subtitles is Des enfants gâtés, which is one I haven't seen before.

I'm not in a position to spring for this set just yet, and a little voice asks when I'm going to get the time to watch all of this, but I'm certainly tempted. There are films on here I've been wanting to see for years and I've been wanting a Blu of Sunday in the Country in particular for years too.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1920 Post by tenia » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:41 am

From what I gathered from the boxset trailer, I suppose some of the new restorations and it shows. I haven't been able to recognize in particular which movie stood out but I think it's Que la fête commence.

mhofmann

#1921 Post by mhofmann » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:12 pm

tenia wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:41 am
From what I gathered from the boxset trailer, I suppose some of the new restorations and it shows. I haven't been able to recognize in particular which movie stood out but I think it's Que la fête commence.
While a lot of the included films look like they're from older masters, Que la fête commence is from a newer 4K restoration and has been quite a bit Ritrovata'd.

https://imgur.com/a/s0T3EgI

kekid

#1922 Post by kekid » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:59 pm

Does anyone have external English subtitles for "Holy Lola"?
The ones I could find from open sources only go for part of the film.

mhofmann

#1923 Post by mhofmann » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:37 am

kekid wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:59 pm
Does anyone have external English subtitles for "Holy Lola"?
The ones I could find from open sources only go for part of the film.
I can find a set of subtitles (via OpenSubtitles) that seem to cover the entire film but that was split into two files, presumably for two CDs. Haven't tried synchronizing it to the set yet, but the overall runtime seems to roughly match.

MichaelB

#1924 Post by MichaelB » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:38 am

I'm sure I'll get round to synchronising them in due course, but my Tavernier set hasn't arrived yet.

GaryC

#1925 Post by GaryC » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:11 am

Of course, by the time I get hold of this and even watch any of it, we might know if StudioCanal have any plans to release any of these in the UK. I somehow doubt they'll go for an eighteen-film or even eleven-film set, especially as by my reckoning six of the eighteen haven't had UK commercial releases before so will need to be BBFC-certified. (Que la fête commence and La guerre sans nom have had UK television screenings, though. As the latter is a documentary, it may be able to be BBFC-exempted depending on its content - I haven't seen the film.)